13-01-16 Let the girls breathe

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Dalai Rasta

Re: 13-01-16 Let the girls breathe

Post by Dalai Rasta »

Fluffy wrote:I think her rage more has to do with what she knows about Nathan (being the manipulative scumbag that he is) and seeing that he's using the same tactics he used on Dillon and herself on her idiot lover.
Yep. Now imagine what happens if Amber learns that Dillon knew Nathan took advantage of Ray and didn't tell her.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"It was up to Ray whether he told you. It wasn't my business to say anything. I don't tattle."

"Uh-huh. And how do you feel about Ruby not telling you about Angel?"

"Same way your parents would feel about her not telling them about your career, maybe..."
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Jean

Post by Jean »

This reminds me of the very first Menage a 3 comic.

Dalai Rasta

Post by Dalai Rasta »

Spidrift wrote:"It was up to Ray whether he told you. It wasn't my business to say anything. I don't tattle."

"Same way your parents would feel about her not telling them about your career, maybe..."
Oh, I don't deny that recriminations over things left unsaid could continue ad infinitum in this comic, as well as in the rest of the Ma3-verse. It's also highly unlikely to happen, as it would be rather melodramatic and close out a number of potential storylines, though I don't doubt good comedy could be wrung out of it. But if there's one character in this strip that I would really like to see pay some serious consequences for what he does, it's fucking Nathan. And, weirdly, I do have a tiny, subatomic-particle-sized bit of sympathy for Nathan as he's being written, because his behavior seems compulsive, and everyone is enabling him.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

There'd only be recriminations if the characters didn't respect each others' sense of confidentiality and preference for staying out of fights not their own. But in practise, everyone has a playground-style preference for not snitching.

As for Nathan - he uses the casting couch. Like Zii. He abuses his power. Like Jung. He's obsessed with his sexual fantasies. Like ... most of the cast. He exploits his greater wealth and privilege within the entertainment industry. Like Erik. He's kind of desperate. Like Gary.

Honestly, the only unusual crimes that you can really pin on him are being older and not quite as pretty as the rest of the cast. (Like Eulice and Angele...) It's just that he engages in all those vices, and is so darned slimy about it. I have to hate Yuki's father far more, though.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:"It was up to Ray whether he told you. It wasn't my business to say anything. I don't tattle."

The thing you have to remember is that Amber considers Dillon to be her bff; no secrets between them and all that.

If she were to learn that Dillon knew that this isn't the first time Nathan has done this to Ray - and chose to say nothing to her about it to her; or, worse yet, chose not to set Ray straight and telling him about Nathan's scumbaggery - I think she would be seriously offended by that.

Because Lord knows how long Nathan has been getting into Ray's pants and the moron being none the wiser about the real intentions behind the ass play.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

sdb20160113.png
sdb20160113.png (118.67 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

I'm confused as to why the onus of telling Amber is being laid on Dillon's doorstep. To my knowledge, the only person who knows that Amber considers Ray to be "The One" is Zii, and she found out only when she got shot down for a booty call. Dillon was teaching Ray the Swirly technique. He knows that Amber knew that. I have no problems thinking that he may feel that if Ray is allowing himself to be bummed by Nathan, then maybe he and Amber have an open relationship. In which case it is none of his affair.

Also, Dillon did confront Nathan about what he did with Ray, lest people forget. He was really angry about it. He likely thinks Nathan won't go there again. He could have decided to keep it to himself because he didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. Ray wasn't complaining, and in fact, he even made the moronic statement that if Dillon weren't completely gay, he wouldn't be averse to going on the "down low" with him on occasion.

Maybe Amber sees this as a steady thing, but it seems clear that Ray does not. And that's not on Dillon.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:The thing you have to remember is that Amber considers Dillon to be her bff; no secrets between them and all that.

If she were to learn that Dillon knew that this isn't the first time Nathan has done this to Ray - and chose to say nothing to her about it to her; or, worse yet, chose not to set Ray straight and telling him about Nathan's scumbaggery - I think she would be seriously offended by that.
Maybe... But I'm just not seeing it, somehow. As we've all said before, countless times, people in this universe mostly just don't talk to each other, even if they are best friends. And we haven't seen Dillon worrying about whether he should tell Amber about this - he's evidently just taken it for granted that he shouldn't - so there's been no narrative set-up for that argument.

If Amber does go off at Dillon, I think it'd either be a way for Amber to come to the understanding that her grasp of normal human relationships is out to lunch, or a set-up for a bigger multiway discussion of how everyone in the comic keeps secrets from everyone else (but only Ruby normally worries about that). But I don't think it'll happen.

The other question is whether Amber is about to go off at Nathan for being a scumbag, or at Ray for letting her down. Sure, the former would be far more logical - Amber must know already that Ray isn't the sharpest knife in the box, so he was natural prey for Nathan. But I think that Amber suffers from confused feelings and weird ethics, so she may well focus her anger at Ray. Scumbag producers are a fact of life, but boyfriends are supposed to be trustworthy...
---------
Spidrift

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

cellabella wrote:I'm confused as to why the onus of telling Amber is being laid on Dillon's doorstep.
1 - he's her bff
2 - he knows Amber considers Ray to be her boyfriend
3 - he knows that Nathan - someone they both know is a manipulative scumbag - is using her moron boyfriend for his own sexual gratification under the guise of 'acting'.

If someone knew that their bff's lover was being used by someone they know to be a manipulative scumbag; one would think that person would give their bff a heads up on the situation because that's what bffs do. If a bff truly cares about their friend, they don't stand back and keep their bffs in the dark about such things.
my knowledge, the only person who knows that Amber considers Ray to be "The One" is Zii
Nope - Ruby and Dillon also know that Amber consider Ray to be her boyfriend that night after they slept together. Hell, Dillon taught him the swirly go round so he could give Amber those mind blowing orgasms she loves. So, her relationship with Ray is no secret from him.
that he may feel that if Ray is allowing himself to be bummed by Nathan, then maybe he and Amber have an open relationship.
Also wrong. Much like Dillon, Ray fell for that 'going on the down low' line Nathan fed him; genuinely believing every time Nathan wants to get into his pants, it's all part of re-affirming Ray's ability to play a gay character. Dillon knows full well what is really going on; and chose to stay silent - which is even worse, considering he sees Ray as a friend/boy crush.
Also, Dillon did confront Nathan about what he did with Ray, lest people forget. He was really angry about it.
And it did exactly jack squat.
He likely thinks Nathan won't go there again.
Then Dillon learned nothing from his last go with Nathan. He and Amber had to get him to sign a contract to end the tryst (as well as give them a little extra bonus, film wise and living arrangement speaking); but, even then, that didn't completely stop Nathan from making the moves on Dillon the first chance he got.
He could have decided to keep it to himself because he didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Or...and this would be a really awful reason for Dillon to stay silent...he didn't want to lose his chance at playing Ray's co-star/on screen lover.

In any case, seeing your bff's boyfriend being manipulated by a known sleaze (who freely admitted what he did when they boyfriend was well out of earshot) - and said boyfriend genuinely thinking that there was nothing fishy about it - is not making a mountain under a molehill. Telling Amber (or, at the very least, Ray) what was going on would have been the right thing for a bff to do.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:Dillon knows full well what is really going on; and chose to stay silent - which is even worse, considering he sees Ray as a friend/boy crush.
To be fair to Dillon, convincing Ray of what's going on could be difficult. Telling somebody who's just landed a dream job "No! He's just using you!" is just asking to be accused of jealousy. (Made worse by the fact that Dillon did want that role.) And Dillon knows all about denying reality and preferring a fantasy.

Of course, the fact that Nathan bought him off with the boyfriend role was also doubtless involved
Fluffy wrote:Telling Amber (or, at the very least, Ray) what was going on would have been the right thing for a bff to do.
In some people's ideas of ethics, telling Amber is for Ray to do. Telling someone - yes, even a bff - what their boyfriend is up to without their knowledge looks like stirring up trouble and trying to run people's lives for them.

I'm not saying that Dillon made the right call; smarter people than him have had trouble with that sort of decision. But he made the Ma3 Universe choice, which is always to refrain from talking about problems.
---------
Spidrift

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

She should really have known better to begin with.

One, she's done it herself. Used sex to get what she wants or used something else to get the sex she wants.

Nathan is producing the show, so is likely using the idea of a gay superhero to get the sex he wants :p

Nathan should also be smart enough to know to tell Amber she has her apartment and gigs as part of their deal. Her stopping him from getting the sex he does want, was not part of their deal when it came to other up and coming actors :p

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

No, that wasn't part of their agreement. However, when Nathan happens to be porking the guy she considers her first real boyfriend, I think she has every right to get in his face about it; especially considering she knows full well that Nathan is abusing his power as a producer to get into Ray's pants (and, in this case, under false pretenses - convincing Ray that he needs to allow Nathan to penetrate him in order to prove he can play the part of a gay man; using that whole 'on the down low' excuse to convince Ray it's nothing more than a form of acting).
Spidrift wrote:I'm not saying that Dillon made the right call; smarter people than him have had trouble with that sort of decision. But he made the Ma3 Universe choice, which is always to refrain from talking about problems.
I'm just really hoping his silence is more about not wanting to get involved (which I still think is bullshit, considering it's his friends who are getting hurt - but, whatever) and not because he doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at playing Ray's love interest in the movie (which I thinkhe's still debating on taking or not).
Last edited by Fluffy on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and he may not know which it is himself. I don't know about you, but any time I try to be tactful, I end up wondering if it's just moral cowardice. The two are always entangled.

And I think we can assume that Dillon has taken the boyfriend part in the movie. Not only would it take more guts than he's got to turn it down, but he's around the set on a shooting day.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

If there are any thorns on those flowers, they could be used for some very impressive punishment... >: D