Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

08-01-16 Club rules

Post by Shouri »

Mutant for Hire

Re: 08-01-16 Club rules

Post by Mutant for Hire »

I think dating within the club should be allowed for "research" purposes.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Rule #3: DENIED!
sdb20160108.png
sdb20160108.png (101.95 KiB) Viewed 22284 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Mutant for Hire wrote:I think dating within the club should be allowed for "research" purposes.
Speaking of research, as herbal remedies go, isn't arnica one of the few where the jury is in that it absolutely, positively does not help? (Echinacea is another.)

And speaking of herbal remedies, I can't help but wonder why Ruby puts the stress on "drugs"...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think it was just because it was the last word in the clause. There's a tendency to emphasise that regardless. Plus, well, Ruby is still rather a "respectable" person at heart, and drugs aren't just bad, they're illegal; they need to be the most banned of all.

Anyway, we now know where the club is meeting. Ruby has been exploiting her contacts from her day job. But that can't be a huge room; if the club grows, she'll need more space. And while Rule 3 represents a smart save by Dillon, I can't see it being very popular with the membership in general. "No dating the mascot" would be smart, though; they can't afford to have runaway competition for his ... attention.

Also, Ruby's fondness for the yaoi book smell is looking a little bit fetishistic. She really needs to sort her head out. Great Ruby facial expressions, though.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

That could just be her intellectual side showing a bit too. For those of us who enjoy printed reading material, there is nothing finer than the unique scent of a book. And yes, I am well aware of just how much that sounds like a public service announcement, but it's true. Walking into a bookstore, having that aroma waft over you, that's the best thing in the world IMHO. Now here's Ruby, and for her it may be like two of her passions are blending together.

As for the drugs thing, I agree, I think that's just to give us an idea of the way she's talking. We've seen no hint of drug use from anyone anywhere in the Pixie Trix universe.

Except Gary, but I don't think allergy meds count.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Spidrift wrote:Also, Ruby's fondness for the yaoi book smell is looking a little bit fetishistic. She really needs to sort her head out. Great Ruby facial expressions, though.
A true bibliophile loves that new book smell.

That said. . .not smoking either tobacco or marijuana around someone else is courtesy; drinking alcohol can lead to problems; and consuming marijuana in other forms can also cause some issues. So, it is more about keeping things sane and trying to reduce drama.

(marijuana use/possession in Canada is not as heavily enforced as it is in most of the US).
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Artemisia wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Also, Ruby's fondness for the yaoi book smell is looking a little bit fetishistic. She really needs to sort her head out. Great Ruby facial expressions, though.

Pretty much the entire reason I can't get into a Kindle or Nook, actually.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Getting far deeper into this than the writers possibly intended, but, actually...

I don't know if manga publications have a unique scent, but anyway - it is, I believe, established that the human sense of smell is linked especially closely to the memory centers of the brain. So smells can be incredibly evocative. Now, Ruby has been repressing her libido for years, and now it's bursting into bloom. But the stimulus triggering this first upsurge is very much tied up to these books - with their smell.

So actually, Ruby may be developing a mild kink that will be very difficult to shift. She may have slight problems with distraction in shops like Jung's for the rest of her life.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

It would seem that Ruby defused any potential conflict that might have emerged as soon as Julian saw Dillon with a black eye. I was concerned that a new fight might break out if Jerzy arrived since jumping to conclusions is par for the course.

If this wasn't the same universe that Menage a 3 exists I would disagree that this is a mild kink. Most people like the smell of new things, books, electronics, cars, etc., but physically sniffing the book for emphasis inclines me to agree.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If Jerzy hasn't arrived by now, he's definitely not going to. Montreal isn't that huge; he'd have been there long ago if he was coming at all. Evidently, Angel's reassurances on the 'phone convinced him. He may even have had that dinner with Amber after all.

So there was never any danger of conflict. Dillon doesn't dislike Julian and hasn't yet perceived what Ruby is up to as annoying.
---------
Spidrift

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

Julian is so adorable. He's young and has a massive crush, but he cares deeply for Dillon. Somehow I hope he gets some development and the opportunity to show him that his feelings are authentic.
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Azrael wrote:
Artemisia wrote:

Pretty much the entire reason I can't get into a Kindle or Nook, actually.
I have a nook, but pretty much only for books I can't get in paper :) Well, and for when I was doing academic writing as it helps with searches, but I definitely agree. Nothing will ever beat the smell of books.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

DrAngryEd wrote:Julian is so adorable. He's young and has a massive crush, but he cares deeply for Dillon. Somehow I hope he gets some development and the opportunity to show him that his feelings are authentic.
But that's not the problem. The issue for Dillon is that he sees Julian as a child, and the idea of a sexual relationship with him naturally squicks Dillon the hell out.

While this could be "resolved" by Dillon coming to see Julian as an adult, the effect would still be a bit squicky for readers, because Julian's view of Dillon is itself a childish admiration carried over into adulthood. It'd be far better if Julian developed by growing out of childhood feelings, started seeing Dillon as a (well-loved) friend, and found a first sexual relationship based on less dubious foundations.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

*gets in line to board the new book smell train* =p~
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)