18-12-15 Out of whack

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

brasca

Re: 18-12-15 Out of whack

Post by brasca »

Fluffy wrote:Though they're yelling, I think it's incredibly sweet that Angel is very protective of Ramona and doesn't like how Zii and Dillon are looking at her as if she was some kind of alien specimen to gawk at.
It is, but Angel also sounds like a lot of people who have a knee jerk reaction to any perceived gender or sexual phobia and it is exceptionally tiresome. Angie, however, seemed more patient about explaining her gender fluidity to Ruby. Of course she didn't just get up from a brawl and she was at work so she probably had to keep her temper in check.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Ang is just as much an insensitive jerk here as Zii and Dillon (though some of that IS Ramona's fault for using the specific term hermaphrodite). There is nothing wrong with Ramona seeing her body as 'out of whack' or 'abnormal', and constantly being forced to fit into an identity that isn't part of who she is can actually be painful for her.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Artemisia wrote:There is nothing wrong with Ramona seeing her body as 'out of whack' or 'abnormal',
Indeed, I think some people push the "everyone is normal" philosophy too far as it ignores that there are many conditions that make a person technically "abnormal" and that those people do have to find ways of dealing with it rather than demanding everyone around them treat them the same as everyone else (as that isn't likely to happen). The key is to not judge the abnormality as something that makes the person less of a person.

I for one have to take medicine to help control my emotions and OCD impulses as my mind doesn't regulate the various chemicals as well as in the average person. I'll freely admit that makes me "strange" in a sense, and its a troublesome thing but not something that makes me see myself as less than someone without that problem.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Varanus wrote: The key is to not judge the abnormality as something that makes the person less of a person.
I definitely agree there. I understand where Ramona is coming from very well, and I finally had to cut myself off from people who kept pushing me the way Ang pushes her due to how their constant attempts to make me fit into their view of things made me feel.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

If this goes on, I'm going to have to ban Angel... /:)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Artemisia wrote:I definitely agree there. I understand where Ramona is coming from very well, and I finally had to cut myself off from people who kept pushing me the way Ang pushes her due to how their constant attempts to make me fit into their view of things made me feel.
It is ironic that efforts to force inclusiveness can have the opposite effect. Weird can be wonderful, and its great when it can be seen as making someone more interesting rather than acting like their weirdness doesn't exist.

Falisa

Post by Falisa »

I actually came to post because I have androgyn insensitivity syndrome. I'm part really excited to see it mentioned in one of my favorite comics and part blah about her referring to herself as a hermaphrodite. I would never use that term to define myself. (but I would never correct someone if they came up to me and referred to me as a chick like they did :P)

Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

You know, I keep forgetting the others don't really know about Senna
"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly! Its the honest ones you need to watch out for, since you never know when they'll do something incredibly stupid"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Captain Vlad wrote:Or don't. Wanna see what Ruby's thinking here...
Umm, maybe she's thinking that Angel should try anger management training/therapy?

That Ruby. Always so annoyingly reasonable.

And I'm going to assume that Ramona is Angel's sister, because otherwise this overbearing attitude takes Angel off the the top of the asshole scale completely. If it's just about looking after a sister, Angel is merely overdoing things; otherwise, it's a controlling psycho behaviour. Suggesting quietly that Ramona use accurate terminology and not run herself down would be one thing, but yelling like that is just bullying.

Plus, Ruby might be interestingly bemused to discover such a completely different model of sisterly relationships.

And I'm then going to take a wild guess that their parents, if not actually nasty, were a bit conventional-whitebread and not really up to dealing with a couple of medically and psychologically non-standard offspring. So they brought Ramona up to use off-target terms like "hermaphrodite", until big sibling Angel swooped in to "rescue" her. In fact, I now wonder if Ruby is going to rescue Ramona from Angel, and tell her that's there's nothing wrong with being an out-of-her-depth kid sister in the big city.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Morwen

Post by Morwen »

Ramona is cool... and quite possibly the MaVerse character that is the least "out of whack" :D
Shadow Apprentice and proud member of the Dream Team
ignorance is bliss? ...no, its just annoying

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Artemisia wrote:Ang is just as much an insensitive jerk here as Zii and Dillon (though some of that IS Ramona's fault for using the specific term hermaphrodite). There is nothing wrong with Ramona seeing her body as 'out of whack' or 'abnormal', and constantly being forced to fit into an identity that isn't part of who she is can actually be painful for her.
None of it is Romana's fault. She can describe herself however she wants to describe herself. It's Angel who's out of line, as she's yelling at Romana for being who she is, which is only offensive to Angel.

Razmos

Post by Razmos »

I really love Ramona's design. the hair in particular.

Morwen

Post by Morwen »

JoybuzzerX wrote:None of it is Romana's fault. She can describe herself however she wants to describe herself. It's Angel who's out of line, as she's yelling at Romana for being who she is, which is only offensive to Angel.
And as the saying goes... Offense is never given, only taken.
Shadow Apprentice and proud member of the Dream Team
ignorance is bliss? ...no, its just annoying

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

In that case, certain people are GIMME GIMME NOW NOW!!! :P

And someone mentioned She Who Shall Not Be Mentioned Lest The Thread Be Derailed!! :-T X_X %-(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

JerrBear

Post by JerrBear »

Varanus wrote:
Artemisia wrote:There is nothing wrong with Ramona seeing her body as 'out of whack' or 'abnormal',
Indeed, I think some people push the "everyone is normal" philosophy too far as it ignores that there are many conditions that make a person technically "abnormal" and that those people do have to find ways of dealing with it rather than demanding everyone around them treat them the same as everyone else (as that isn't likely to happen). The key is to not judge the abnormality as something that makes the person less of a person.

I for one have to take medicine to help control my emotions and OCD impulses as my mind doesn't regulate the various chemicals as well as in the average person. I'll freely admit that makes me "strange" in a sense, and its a troublesome thing but not something that makes me see myself as less than someone without that problem.
Besides, it's up to individuals to decide whether they view themselves as either normal or abnormal.