04-12-15 Sad little drama queen

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 04-12-15 Sad little drama queen

Post by Don Alexander »

Hm, I don't think anyone has commented on how Zii once uses "Angel" and once uses "Angie".

Also: "God forgives. Angel doesn't." :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JTheCreator wrote:Not sure if I'm more surprised at how I never noticed this, or how much the community glanced over it. We all don't give it much thought cause Dillon's gay, but still. Jealousy isn't reason to assault a woman.
It's not a good reason to assault anybody. But Dillon is a hopeless drama queen, caught up in the excitement of the comedy moment. It's a very slapstick scene. And he can't be strangling her that seriously; she has no trouble talking. It's presumably more grabbing than strangulation.

No, don't try this at home, folks. But don't sweat it in a comic, either.
Don Alexander wrote:Hm, I don't think anyone has commented on how Zii once uses "Angel" and once uses "Angie".
We knew that Zii was in on Angel's secret; she was one of the pronoun-avoiders. So she slips from "Angel" to "Angie" as the conversation gets more personal. Whatevs.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

ninjazxeleven wrote:Shouri, I am very happy and grateful that you are getting new strips out more quickly. Thanks for hard work and dedication to your strip. It is greatly appreciated, even if you don't always hear it in the forums. I think the current plotline must have fired your creative juices!
I take full responsibility for lateness in regards to Sticky Dilly Buns. In fact, I'll probably have to move SDB's Tuesday updates to Wednesday for the next little while as I also have to take care of Kickstarter rewards before I can sit down to write/draw.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

In some fights, you don't want to root for anyone.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
JTheCreator wrote:Not sure if I'm more surprised at how I never noticed this, or how much the community glanced over it. We all don't give it much thought cause Dillon's gay, but still. Jealousy isn't reason to assault a woman.
It's not a good reason to assault anybody. But Dillon is a hopeless drama queen, caught up in the excitement of the comedy moment. It's a very slapstick scene. And he can't be strangling her that seriously; she has no trouble talking. It's presumably more grabbing than strangulation.

No, don't try this at home, folks. But don't sweat it in a comic, either.
Don Alexander wrote:Hm, I don't think anyone has commented on how Zii once uses "Angel" and once uses "Angie".
We knew that Zii was in on Angel's secret; she was one of the pronoun-avoiders. So she slips from "Angel" to "Angie" as the conversation gets more personal. Whatevs.
Or he choking her and she spoke before or was able to speak clearly enough while being choked. :p

Though, when Yuki was kicking everyone, many asked why nothing had happened. So it may be fair that Dillion can go on beating women and nothing happens. It is all meant for comedy.

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

In a comedy scene it's easy for violence to happen to both genders and have it be fine.

Selling violence against men in a serious scene is harder due to unfortunate gender stereotypes. I wonder how hard it would be to sell it if they'd gone for 'Angel attacking Dillon' in a serious manner.

Daremo

Post by Daremo »

I just want to say that I love the thumbnail for this strip. It looks oh so delightfully wrong.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

brasca wrote:Lack of an adam's apple should be a telltale sign, but considering that Dillon is probably too furious to think might keep him from making that observation.

I think it would be hilarious if he had the same reaction as Ruby, but unlikely since he's a normally good at reading people's bodies.
Spidrift wrote:Does anyone actually look hard at other people's Adam's apples and use them in forming gender categories? It's a clue when one is needed, and maybe I'm unobservant, but I think I might take days to pick up on this, if I got there at all.
Adam's Apples aren't fool proof, okay. There are a lot of men who don't have visible Adam's Apples and a lot of women who do. A lot has to do with subcutaneous fat.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

brasca

Post by brasca »

Perhaps, but for months Angel's gender was undeterminable by the readers because she wore a scarf.
JTheCreator wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:First Sandra. Then Angel. Then Zii.

Dillion really has a thing for beating up women.
Not sure if I'm more surprised at how I never noticed this, or how much the community glanced over it. We all don't give it much thought cause Dillon's gay, but still. Jealousy isn't reason to assault a woman.
The old standards tend to lose their meaning given the wider range of sexuality and genders. You really shouldn't fight anyone unless attacked and more than likely Angel was the aggressor here. Then there is the matter of which opponent you choose. Angel is about the same physical build as Dillon so it's a fair enough fight for someone who is identifying as a man by the way. For Sandra it is the same and she also had the power of alcohol flowing through her too. The only criticism I can agree with is attacking Zii since she is petite, but Angel is guilty of that too.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Perhaps, but for months Angel's gender was undeterminable by the readers because she wore a scarf.
I think that the point there was less that we could have told without the scarf - Giz's art is good, but her detail resolution isn't that fine - than that Angel was concealing the information in-setting.
The old standards tend to lose their meaning given the wider range of sexuality and genders. You really shouldn't fight anyone unless attacked and more than likely Angel was the aggressor here. Then there is the matter of which opponent you choose. Angel is about the same physical build as Dillon so it's a fair enough fight for someone who is identifying as a man by the way. For Sandra it is the same and she also had the power of alcohol flowing through her too. The only criticism I can agree with is attacking Zii since she is petite, but Angel is guilty of that too.
Honestly, I'd stick at "physical violence is just plain always wrong (but the stuff in these comics is slapstick conedy)", and not try to slice it finer. Saying that a woman, however healthy, muscular, large, or trained, should always be forgiven more easily for violence than a man, however weak, feeble, or downright disabled, is patronising at best, sickeningly hypocritical at worst. Neither should be hitting anybody.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Perhaps you should amend that to "physical violence is wrong, except in self-defence", much like the average "No Dogs - except Guide Dogs" sign. Otherwise, agreed. No domestic violence, no beating people up to solve arguments and so on, regardless of gender or lack thereof.

Also, kudos to Zii for trying to stop those two morons fighting. I wonder if she's silently glad to not be hanging out with either of them at home in MÀ3 still.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

If you're going to allow 'self-defence' then you should allow 'defence of innocents', or defence generally. Even so violence should only be used when there is no reasonable alternative.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

LegendaryKroc wrote:Perhaps you should amend that to "physical violence is wrong, except in self-defence", much like the average "No Dogs - except Guide Dogs" sign. Otherwise, agreed. No domestic violence, no beating people up to solve arguments and so on, regardless of gender or lack thereof.

Also, kudos to Zii for trying to stop those two morons fighting. I wonder if she's silently glad to not be hanging out with either of them at home in MÀ3 still.
I don't think Zii tried to stop them, it looks like she joined in.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She's grappling Angel, trying to pull him off, rather than beating on him - and in this strip, she's telling first Angel and then Dillon to stop/quit. It's clear to me that she's playing the voice of (comparative) reason here.
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I don't know, Her clothes are torn too.