06-11-15 I would buy it

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Robbzilla

Re: 06-11-15 I would buy it

Post by Robbzilla »

Chaos Sepher wrote:That fourth panel makes me hear the narrator from The Grinch:

"Then she got an idea. An awful idea. The Ruby got a wonderful, *awful* idea!"
I both love and hate you right now. That was awesome, but now I have Boris Karloff singing "Mr Grinch" in my head.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Robbzilla wrote:Serious question: Are Comic cons in Montreal liberal enough to have Dylan all nekkid and oiled up a draw? I don't see that being as successful down here in Texas.
I'm in the wrong place to answer that authoritatively, but I don't think that you'd have to get Dillon naked and oiled up. A bit under-dressed and waxed, maybe, but the photos Ruby was shooting mostly seemed to be quite PG-13.

And at that point - well, if you've got a few female booth babes around the place, it would take a bravely stupid organiser to respond to complaints from the occasional mouth-breathing insecure heterosexual male by telling a booth hunk to cover up more. The negative publicity would be hilarious. Heck, the place will probably be covered in pictures of muscular guys in skin-tight spandex or furry loincloths; one guy actually manifesting this in three dimensions would hardly seem like a big deal.

And let us not speak of Sailor Bubba.

Now, whether Dillon would be an effective draw depends on the number of women and gay men in attendance. But I get the impression that the comics geek community is a fairly broad church these days.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:Great idea these two are hatching, but I wonder if they have the money to pay for a booth. I do not know what Zii's disposable income is like and Ruby only recently started getting a paycheck.
A booth at a smaller local comics show really shouldn't break the bank. I mean, if Ruby decided to fly off to San Diego or something she'd be nuts, but she's not stupid. I don't know exact figures, but I'd guess that those shows aim to make a lot of their money on door admission charges; the booths are there to pull the public in, so there's no point in over-charging.

And Ruby may be onto her second or third pay cheque by the time she has to cover the fee - and the first got her some nice new clothes. She'll need to pay for the product, too, of course, but, well... Worst case, we get a comedy loan application scene, or she maxes out a new credit card temporarily, or she persuades Dillon to put this on his PR budget.

Now, odds on Gary wandering past the booth, getting distracted by his friends and another oddly familiar face, and then having someone think he's into the yaoi?
I think it depends on the venue. San Diego would be out of the question, but Montreal is a big city so I am uncertain what the cost would be. Comicon Phoenix is the closest one to me and some of my favorite webcomic artists have not attended in recent years. I do not know for certain, but rumor has it the admission of a booth made it no longer economically viable.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I get the impression that these events vary widely in scope and size. I can imagine city-level cons that would be quite affordable.

Anyhow, we know that Giz and the Pixietrix crew get to some conventions, and presumably have some idea of the sort of companies that can afford to show up, and possibly direct knowledge of booth pricing. If writing this script doesn't trash their own suspension of disbelief, I'm happy to play along.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

Chaos Sepher wrote:That fourth panel makes me hear the narrator from The Grinch:

"Then she got an idea. An awful idea. The Ruby got a wonderful, *awful* idea!"
Yeah, those grinchy grins made me think the same
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Spidrift wrote:Worst case, we get a comedy loan application scene
It wouldn't even need to be a comedy one. It'll probably be, for comedy's sake, but Ruby did go to a business school: she's certainly able to put together a credible business plan. And her project is far from ridiculous, even by real-life standards.

At some point, I would like to see Junghan involved, given his probable connections to anyone setting up a comic con in Montréal (and possibly beyond).
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The loan application scene would be comedy because it would involve respectable, easily embarrassed Ruby having to explain to a bank manager - who she'd assume, rightly or wrongly, was the epitome of judgemental respectability - that she needed the money to print off a whole load of pictures of near-naked oiled-up men.

Lots of ways that could go, obviously. Six different versions of the scene practically write themselves.

And I'm sure that Jung will wander in and out of this sub-plot somewhere along the way. Like you say, it's his milieu. Though the scope for effective Jung snarking is a little reduced now that Ruby has come to terms with her own interest in yaoi.
---------
Spidrift

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Oh, I'm pretty sure he'd find angles. :D
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.