Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

09-10-15 Make things right between us

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 09-10-15 Make things right between us

Post by Spidrift »

Well, that answers several questions at once. I thought that we'd need to see Ruby recruit at least one more model; two just wasn't enough to feel right.

And gods, she evidently learned something from all those people bouncing her into things that she didn't really want to do. I can't imagine how she got from panel 3 to panel 4, but it doesn't matter; Dillon and the others have created a magnificent monster, and now they have to live with her. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of meddling twits...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Indeed you are Ruby if you could talk Jerzey and Dillon into that. Makes the likelihood of her getting him to pose with Matt a greater possibility.

rpr

Post by rpr »

Is it me or is Ruby especially cute in this strip? :ymhug: :x :ymblushing: :)

Razmos

Post by Razmos »

The Ruby calendar gag should probably have stopped being funny by now, but nope =))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Makes the likelihood of her getting him to pose with Matt a greater possibility.
That would actually be an interesting encounter. Would Matt recognise her as her? Would she not be crippled by embarrassment? How would either of them talk their way through the meeting? How would she talk a professional model into posing for free? Not that we'd see the last, I guess... But the scene would be a fair measure of Ruby's faintly terrifying character development.

Of course, seeing Matt would remind Ruby that not everyone was fooled by Rudy - which, after this meeting with Jerzy, might be good for her. Though Rudy is a personal success she hasn't previously admitted to herself.
rpr wrote:Is it me or is Ruby especially cute in this strip?
My prejudices on this subject are well known. But confidence, and operating inside a (suddenly much larger) comfort zone, are quite good for her.
Razmos wrote:The Ruby calendar gag should probably have stopped being funny by now, but nope
Three strips is probably about right for a gag like this - it takes things beyond "fluke" or "coincidence" into "established joke". It may stop now - unless it starts expanding into wider things like a scene with Matt.

So - will the next step be Dillon complaining to Amber that he's created a monster, or Ruby going to Zii or someone for advice and assistance regarding publication?

This also reminds me of something I thought about the print bonus strip, in which (for those who didn't buy the book), Ruby was deeply embarrassed to find herself trying to sell sex toys. What's the betting that she could busk it through that scene these days? And what are the chances that we;ll see this in the second print volume?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Now Ruby just needs to recruit Matt and Jordan. Oh, and Gary. :p
sdb20151009.png
sdb20151009.png (81.86 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

Ruby is thisclose to topping Zii as my absolute favorite character across the interconnected Ma3-verse. I have laughed at each of these calendar posts. I would buy it, and I bet she graduated at or near the top of the class.

And she even made me stop cursing out Jerzy in my head when I saw in the thumbnail he was making an appearance.

As Matt has "sworn off women" in the Ma3 mainverse, it is very possible Ruby is due for another run-in with him and will recruit him. I can't recall if she knows the history between Matt and Dillon, i.e. does she know he is the cheating bf? I think Dillon made that clear at the concert, but I can't remember atm.

I actually think Ray will refuse, stating his new status as an up-and-coming star. That might make waves between him and Amber and him and Dillon, possibly carrying over to their scenes and maybe prompting Nathan to look for a new love interest for Ray's character.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

It took me forever to realize that Jerzy is wearing a speedo and not that he's hung like a Ken doll.

brasca

Post by brasca »

cellabella wrote:Ruby is thisclose to topping Zii as my absolute favorite character across the interconnected Ma3-verse. I have laughed at each of these calendar posts. I would buy it, and I bet she graduated at or near the top of the class.

And she even made me stop cursing out Jerzy in my head when I saw in the thumbnail he was making an appearance.

As Matt has "sworn off women" in the Ma3 mainverse, it is very possible Ruby is due for another run-in with him and will recruit him. I can't recall if she knows the history between Matt and Dillon, i.e. does she know he is the cheating bf? I think Dillon made that clear at the concert, but I can't remember atm.

I actually think Ray will refuse, stating his new status as an up-and-coming star. That might make waves between him and Amber and him and Dillon, possibly carrying over to their scenes and maybe prompting Nathan to look for a new love interest for Ray's character.
There is bound to be one hold out although Ray letting success go to his head would be a more sudden character change than Ruby's new found ability to talk attractive men into posing for her calendar. Matt might agree to this as a way to convince Kiley he has sworn off all other women and that he can make amends with previously wronged lovers. Ruby could sell that to him, but Dillon could be the tougher.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby appears to have mastered the hypnotic art of fork-dropping. All objections are just being sidestepped.
---------
Spidrift

Tako

Post by Tako »

Sorry Zii, but Ruby is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better at this than you are...

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Razmos wrote:The Ruby calendar gag should probably have stopped being funny by now, but nope
Yep, I was laughing at the last panel while thinking "She got another one!" Dillon has truly created a magnificent monster in Ruby.
Spidrift wrote:Three strips is probably about right for a gag like this - it takes things beyond "fluke" or "coincidence" into "established joke". It may stop now - unless it starts expanding into wider things like a scene with Matt.
I think we'll see it again, just not immediately next strip - Ruby will need more men for the calendar to fill out the months after all. It'll become a running gag, dropped in every now and then to add some humor.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Kate! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

So, is Dillon really nude below? Kind of daring considering the falling out he and Jerzy have had. Their faces are interesting, is it just embarrassment that is causing them to blush or is each reliving the better moments of their relationship and thinking "What if, actually..."?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:I think we'll see it again, just not immediately next strip - Ruby will need more men for the calendar to fill out the months after all. It'll become a running gag, dropped in every now and then to add some humor.
Maybe, but she does seem to be looking to get this calendar wrapped quite quickly. I might almost expect a montage for the remaining months, but, well, Ruby doesn't have nine other men she could plausibly exploit. Unless she starts recruiting new non-speaking characters.
Don Alexander wrote:So, is Dillon really nude below? Kind of daring considering the falling out he and Jerzy have had.
It's Art. That makes it perfectly okay.

(Though we possibly have evidence here that Dillon isn't hugely endowed.)
Don Alexander wrote:Their faces are interesting, is it just embarrassment that is causing them to blush or is each reliving the better moments of their relationship and thinking "What if, actually..."?
I just read it as general embarrassment. (A new experience for Dillon?) Nothing very complex, just not quite being able to look at each other.
---------
Spidrift