Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

25-09-15 We are already downsizing

Post by Shouri »

brasca

Re: 25-09-15 We are already downsizing

Post by brasca »

It stretches credibility sometimes that Amber is oblivious to Ruby's hostility. Even Dillon knows this is not going to be popular.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Call me crazy, but I'm sort of starting to get the feeling that Ruby might have some sort of issues with her sister.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Heh - Ruby is being written and drawn rather well here. She's finally showing that she's bright enough to read Dillon and deliver some snappy lines, and the shifts in her facial expression are just lovely.

Of course, she does have to get out of the habit of yelling exactly the wrong thing at the wrong moment. You'd think that she'd have learned from the incident with Andy. But that's her latent bad temper at work.
brasca wrote:It stretches credibility sometimes that Amber is oblivious to Ruby's hostility.
The funny thing is, Amber has certainly noticed that Ruby is often angry. But she doesn't know why, and it doesn't seem to occur to her that Ruby just doesn't like her. She probably thinks that this idea will be a great chance to get closer to Ruby and even find out what's bugging her.

It's a peculiar blind spot with Amber, and a tiny bit vain. She just doesn't think that someone could dislike her for being herself, or see that her past relationship with Ruby has left scars.
brasca wrote:Even Dillon knows this is not going to be popular.
Yeah, I'm mildly impressed that Dillon has registered the problem enough to try and dodge the issue this far. It is blindingly obvious, but it's exactly the kind of thing that he normally manages to avoid noticing. I'm just surprised that he hasn't tried harder to find out what the problem is. Perhaps he will now, to make this scheme viable.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I think this is just showing how terrible Ruby is. Didn't even really get the job and she's already complaining. She not only assumed she had the job, but thought she'd have a 30k salary on it :p While I don't agree with it, Dillion could have likely found someone to do it as an intern for awhile :p

Amber maybe oblivious to somethings, but at least she's never seemed as bad as the rest. Worse she seems to have done was blackmail Nathon, who is nothing but a bad person himself. I can believe Dillion and Amber have likely had to do things to get anywhere in their careers, thanks to him.

Maybe they thought they made Ruby to likable after the start and needed to figure out a way to make her less likable? :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, come on. Ruby picked up a predictable cluster of haters the moment she walked through the door and started being harsh at Amber. She had the nerve not to be impressed with the other characters' bullshit, and some readers promptly thought that this made her a horrid person. Actually, even those of us who liked her back then thought that she was going to be rougher round the edges than turned out to be the case, because she only actually turns nasty with her sister.

And nothing in this strip is new or particularly unpredictable, though it's beautifully written and drawn. We all knew that she has issues with Amber, and some of us have spent the last couple of threads speculating just how ballistic she was going to go when she realised what Dillon was offering. She's been increasingly anxious about her employment position for dozens of strips, so of course she's acting kind of desperate now she has a job in prospect.

On the other hand, when Dillon explicitly offered her a job and she said Yes, she was really entitled to assume that she, well, had a job, at whatever the going baseline market rate for that occupation happened to be. A really smart Ruby might have checked if Dillon could afford what he was offering so casually, but hey, he's the experienced actor who likes to play the man-of-the-world card to her; it is his own fault that he didn't see what he was doing.

As for Amber - no, she's not a terrible person. She does have a terrible blind spot regarding Ruby, because she's essentially clueless how other people work outside of her rather narrow and weird range of experiences.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Oh, look. Path. Primroses. Not being lead down it. Good for you, Ruby. :p
sdb20150925.png
sdb20150925.png (91.02 KiB) Viewed 8318 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I know a band leader who could use a personal assistant right now too.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

brasca

Post by brasca »

I suggested Zii should talk to Ruby since she is better at keeping her mind off of sex even if she is struggling with her growing libido these days and has no interest in sleeping with girls. It would certainly be interesting if she was a PA for Zii too, but working for her would be an act of charity since she barely earns enough as it is at the comic shop. Even if she got paid for her gigs it would be more practical for Ruby to assist 2 people who live and work in the same place.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

A band's manager handles much of the stuff that an actor's PA does - organising bookings and schedules, chasing payments, basic bookkeeping, et cetera. And while the Troublemakers could use a proper manager at present (Jung is clearly just helping out for the fun of it), I don't think that Ruby has the contacts or the attitude that band management demands.

(Actually, I could see Jung evolving into a pretty decent manager, all the while making it clear that he's doing a favour here and not letting Zii cop any attitudes...)
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Mild mannered Ruby could not manage the Troublemakers, but Rudy could.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Rudy is a sketchy street punk. I'm not sure that he has the ... gravitas.
---------
Spidrift

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

There goes Ruby again!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Artemisia wrote:I know a band leader who could use a personal assistant right now too.
Said bandleader is in need of lesbian shenanigans, though, and I doubt Ruby can deliver...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

Ok, so I said I wouldn't do this anymore, but I can't resist. I predict that when we find out why Ruby is hostile to Amber, the real hostility not the normal sibling rivalry that they have mentioned already, that it will be about a boy. Amber probably started dating a guy that Ruby had a crush on when she was a young tween. Of course the guy probably never even knew she existed because either she was too young to register or too shy to even say hi to him. But of course that does not stop hormone ridden teens from being hostile to the object of affection of their crushes. Maybe the kicker is that Amber dumped him once she got bored of him and Ruby can not forgive her for that. We shall see, maybe.