25-08-15 Convince him I could pass as gay

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 25-08-15 Convince him I could pass as gay

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:I think Ruby would be too distracted by yaoi until Dillon shows her a picture of Nathan. Boy on middle age man probably does nothing for her.
Ruby should have picked up a few hints about Nathan from her conversation with Dillon - and no, I doubt that sleazy middle-aged men fit in her fantasy world. Even if "Ray surrendered his butt..." sends her into a dubious reverie, "...for a part in a movie" might just be the jolt of realism she'd need to pull her back.

Actually, the other interesting complication here is that Ray used the video she shot to get Nathan's attention. I'm afraid that she may be a little too pleased about that.
JTheCreator wrote:Did anyone else convince Ray with Ruby's first date whom we haven't seen in forever? I know the guy had different hair, but he also has the soft face and round jaw. Ray looks different between this strip and his first intro, but it could be me being nit-picky.
Not really. Well, there's only so variation that even Giz can create when depicting attractive clean-shaven young men with a handful of lines. But there was never any danger of confusing Ray with Andy here; aside from the fact that they're not really very visually similar, Andy has no known interest in acting.

(It would be nice to see Andy again, though. Ruby's emotions in that direction should have moved on from "paranoid" to "deeply confused". He was mentioned briefly just after the gig, and it's not been very long, comics time, since their one date, but he should surely have texted her again by now.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Stupid foolish moronic deceived dolt sucker dupe Ray 8-}

he is worse than Dillon ever was

Dillon was led to believe Nathan could do it with "Straight", bisexual and gay guys and "stay straight" because it was on the down low

Ray was led to believe that 2 "straights" can go down low and stay straight as long as they do not do it with gays (meaning, Ray does not know Nathan was with Dillon)
ImageImage

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

I have a theory....all characters in this strip share the same IQ pool....the more we add the more ALL of their IQs drop...

Am I the only one who finds the whole borderline slapstick comedy of the absurd a tad stale?

philippos42

Post by philippos42 »

Ray is a dumb.

Dumb, dumb rape victim Ray.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymsigh:

Stop misusing the "R" word...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

philippos42 wrote:Ray is a dumb.

Dumb, dumb seduction victim Ray.
fixed!!. :ymparty:
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Manoon wrote:
Artemisia wrote:Manoon...technically, all sexualities are social constructs, so I am not entirely certain why you point to those two specifically.
Well, because you mentioned these two.
Humans, by and large, have some attraction to all sexes except for a small percentage who are exclusive to one sex or the other. The social construct of 'heterosexuality' is about a hundred and fifty years old, about the same age as homosexuality as a social construct. Both terms were derived by early psychologists. Prior to that, the constructs regarding sexuality were wildly different and these coincide more with the rise of marriage as an institution based upon mutual attraction and affection than upon the idea that one got married in order to procreate and pass along property.
Yes, I have read Foucault as well. Which is exactly why I found it a bit strange to claim that someone is 'in reality' homosexual or bisexual - or indeed any [...]sexual.
I mentioned all three, Manoon. If the problem here is the phrasing of "really is", then that is a grammatical issue. I have found that humans have all sorts of realities that they create. I do have to admit that I have never read Histoire de la sexualite, though. I am more familiar with these concepts through my Anthropology studies. Unfortunately, what we are running into here is the fact that our words create the reality that we experience and for the majority of the people who exist today, the constructs associated with sexuality are a form of reality. It is kind of as simple as that.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Is it me or is Ray shaping up to be the "Sonya" of this series... wallowing in shameless self-denial?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Given his reaction to continuing kissing lessons after learning Dillon was gay (super nervous/apprehensive), I don't think it's even self denial; he's just really, really, REALLY dumb.
wiseguy wrote:
Ray was led to believe that 2 "straights" can go down low and stay straight as long as they do not do it with gays (meaning, Ray does not know Nathan was with Dillon)
That was an interesting little addition, wasn't it?

I wonder if Dillon will tell Ray that, by that definition, Nathan is bi/gay because of their previous affair (or, would Ray still say it's not possible, because Nathan is married to a woman).
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

someboddy

Post by someboddy »

So... Ray will have gay sex but only with straight men?

Oh, well. This is far from being the weirdest sexual orientation in the ma3verse...

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

*grimaces and gestures vaguely at strip* No. Just....no.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

crimzontearz wrote:I have a theory....all characters in this strip share the same IQ pool....the more we add the more ALL of their IQs drop...
I think it's simpler than that; Dillon supresses the IQs of anyone he lives with over time. He reduced Gary to a near-vegetable; Matt subconsciously saw what was happening and drove him off; he transformed Amber from a devious vixen to an incompetent bimbo; Jerzy lost the ability to see through Angel; and Ruby is sinking from a focused business studies graduate to a wittering fujoshi.

The effect on Ray has just been unusually, frighteningly fast.
Fluffy wrote:I wonder if Dillon will tell Ray that, by that definition, Nathan is bi/gay because of their previous affair (or, would Ray still say it's not possible, because Nathan is married to a woman).
I'm now increasingly betting with myself that Dillon won't say anything at all to Ray at this point - partly because he doesn't know how Ray will take it, and partly because it would feel like kicking a puppy. Dillon has always been better at fluffy fantasy than cold hard reality. Plus, it'd let the writers spin a load of jokes out much longer.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Treader

Post by Treader »

someboddy wrote:So... Ray will have gay sex but only with straight men?

Oh, well. This is far from being the weirdest sexual orientation in the ma3verse...
I wonder where that falls on the Kinsey scale.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote: I'm now increasingly betting with myself that Dillon won't say anything at all to Ray at this point - partly because he doesn't know how Ray will take it, and partly because it would feel like kicking a puppy. Dillon has always been better at fluffy fantasy than cold hard reality. Plus, it'd let the writers spin a load of jokes out much longer.
But staying silent about it could also have some negative backlash (like say, Amber or Ruby learns how Ray got the part and explains to him that the 'down low' excuse doesn't wash. If Ray comes to the conclusion that Dillon knew and said nothing, he could be offended/jump to the wrong conclusions why Dillon remained silent).

However, telling him may also put Dillon into a bad light - as, if Ray fully believes Nathan's bullshit claims, Ray may feel that Dillon is trying to sabotage his leading role by 'lying' to him about what 'on the down low' really means.

Either way, Dillon is screwed (and not in the fun way).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Treader wrote:I wonder where that falls on the Kinsey scale.
Easy. Currently one, probably advancing to two, may even eventually hit three.

The nice thing about the Kinsey scale is that it's just about behaviour, not inclination. We don't have to peer inside Ray's head, we just have to observe what he does.
Fluffy wrote:But staying silent about it could also have some negative backlash (like say, Amber or Ruby learns how Ray got the part and explains to him that the 'down low' excuse doesn't wash. If Ray comes to the conclusion that Dillon knew and said nothing, he could be offended/jump to the wrong conclusions why Dillon remained silent).
I didn't say it would be smart of Dillon to remain silent - though as you say, it might be no worse than him saying something. It's just that Dillon might not be emotionally able to say anything. Plus, that then sets up further plotlines, as Amber and Ruby can get drawn into the mess.
---------
Spidrift