21-08-15 Got the part

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

JoybuzzerX

Re: 21-08-15 Got the part

Post by JoybuzzerX »

msaturn wrote:Dude, a character that does nothing but sexually assault people without consequence is not funny or worthwhile.

(I'm no white knight loony, but man, consent does NOT happen when you're in power and demanding favors for recompense. This dude is a rapist. It's gross.)
That is not rape. Ray (and Dillion when he did it) could have easily said "I'm not doing that for the part." They both did it. Even if we assume he told Ray, "Sex with me or not part" Ray still could have said no and walked out.

Now, what I'm not sure on, is Canada's rules regarding the head of a movie studio offering that deal.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Comparable to Italy's, maybe.

Exploitation of the casting couch is sleazy as hell, and one would like to think that one of the big things preventing it in the real world is the risk of being exposed as a sleazebag, but it's difficult to make it illegal. It's possible that someone like Nathan could be accused of neglecting his financial responsibilities by making bad business decisions under the influence of his gonads.

Note, by the way, that Dillon himself admitted to having become a whore, and Amber didn't deny it.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I'm just putting this question out there: would anyone object if actual bad things happened to Nathan...? =_=

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If by "bad things" you mean actual bad things rather than comedy bad things, then - yes. It would screw up the well-established atmosphere of these comics.

I get worried enough about people who obsessively fantasise about bad things happening to real bad people in real life. It's unhealthy. Getting the same way about fictional comedy characters is just plain sick.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Potentially less harmful, though.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
msaturn wrote:Dude, a character that does nothing but sexually assault people without consequence is not funny or worthwhile.

(I'm no white knight loony, but man, consent does NOT happen when you're in power and demanding favors for recompense. This dude is a rapist. It's gross.)
That is not rape. Ray (and Dillion when he did it) could have easily said "I'm not doing that for the part." They both did it. Even if we assume he told Ray, "Sex with me or not part" Ray still could have said no and walked out.

Now, what I'm not sure on, is Canada's rules regarding the head of a movie studio offering that deal.
I believe it depends upon how one is defining sexual assault. This is something that came up during the Lewinsky Scandal in the 1990's. Does it qualify as a form of sexual assault if a boss/potential boss has sex with someone who is an underling/potential underling for some specified reason such as getting or keeping a job or promotion. Societal attitudes are turning towards this being considered very wrong, but they haven't always been and aren't universally seen as wrong if both parties are willing participants.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:Potentially less harmful, though.
I should probably have emphasised the "obsessive" part. Bad people exist in reality, unfortunately. Inventing bad people in fiction purely so they can be punished is what's screwed up. It's sadism masked by sanctimoniousness.
---------
Spidrift

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Artemisia wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:

I believe it depends upon how one is defining sexual assault. This is something that came up during the Lewinsky Scandal in the 1990's. Does it qualify as a form of sexual assault if a boss/potential boss has sex with someone who is an underling/potential underling for some specified reason such as getting or keeping a job or promotion. Societal attitudes are turning towards this being considered very wrong, but they haven't always been and aren't universally seen as wrong if both parties are willing participants.
Sexual assault? No. Possible harassment? Well, harassment entails pressuring/constantly asking no after no (though to be fair, in today's age, someone asking someone out and being told no and then them coming back and asking again, could likely be considered harassing even though many a person would likely not be born if people just gave up on the first "they said no, can never ask them out again").

It's an abuse of position for sure. Not always one instigated by the one in charge either. Sadly, it happens.

Not really much Dillion can say on the matter, it's how he got one of his parts and his apartment.

Treader

Post by Treader »

TheEighth wrote: I figured Ray would identify as straight, but apparently he's bi enough to have sex with another man? Either that or Nathan has no problem threatening the careers of other people to get them into bed with him. Even if they're straight....

Either Ray is more open minded than we thought....or Nathan is even sleazier that he was before
Or Ray's just dumb enough to buy into Nathan's "Oprah" reasoning. http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/oprah_never_lies

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Spidrift wrote:If by "bad things" you mean actual bad things rather than comedy bad things, then - yes. It would screw up the well-established atmosphere of these comics.

I get worried enough about people who obsessively fantasise about bad things happening to real bad people in real life. It's unhealthy. Getting the same way about fictional comedy characters is just plain sick.
I should have clarified. By bad things, I meant things like his wife finding out, someone reporting him to the actors' union, stuff like that. Not death and torture, but consequences commensurate to his sleaze.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

In the immortal words of the great thinker on the subject: "Only if it was funny."
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

The Tao of Roger Rabbit... ^_^