17-07-15 I did not hear that

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

JTheCreator

Re: 17-07-15 I did not hear that

Post by JTheCreator »

Oedipus is a fucked up story for those of you who have yet to read it.

Julian is 18 and def acting like one. Can't take a hint, doesn't understand "no." If Dillon was a woman, Julian would stink of the rapey-vibe. However atm, he's basically a stalker. Infatuated with someone, tracks them down, refuses to accept the reality of the "relationship." All he's missing is the unwarranted phone calls and presents.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:It's about three broken people accidentally helping each other to become complete human beings.
Ew.

Why am I reading this comic, again? :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The way Spidrift makes it sound, it's like three Frankenstein's Monsters....

JtheCreator...I think Freud went one further on the 'ick' factor making it about little boys wanting to commit incest with their mothers and little girls wanting to commit incest with their sisters.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JTheCreator wrote:However atm, he's basically a stalker. Infatuated with someone, tracks them down, refuses to accept the reality of the "relationship." All he's missing is the unwarranted phone calls and presents.
I'd charitably say proto-stalker at present. He hasn't turned scary yet. But yeah, there is actually potential stalkeryness there.
Don Alexander wrote:
Spidrift wrote:It's about three broken people accidentally helping each other to become complete human beings.
Ew.

Why am I reading this comic, again?
Probably the gags, possibly the soap opera, for all I know out of a sense of obligation as a moderator. All of them perfectly good reasons. But like it or not, the comic has that theme as its underlying framework, giving it a hit of shape. TCampbell has even hinted as much at one point.

If it makes things easier for you, try thinking of it as yet another bloody re-telling of the Wizard of Oz. It's not quite as plausible as a pure Freudian reading, but some people do love their Baum.

Marxist readings of Sandra... will follow next week.

Regarding the comment about childish crushes - I was going by the notorious tendency of small girls to announce that they are going to marry their daddy when they grow up. Okay, that's anecdotal evidence; if surveys find very few small girls actually saying that, I withdraw the point. But see also parts of this discusssion.
Last edited by Spidrift on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

most of the crushes are not "openly obvious"

is not like "I want to be my mom's(or dad's) lover" but like "I admire how great my mom(or dad) is"

and a lot of people tend to fall in love with people similar to one of their parents
ImageImage

Qwertz

Post by Qwertz »

In an attempt to slightly relax the tense mood in this thread, here's some light classical music (both Grieg's Peer Gynt Suites :p )

It's definitely not at all weird for kids to have crushes on.. well, a variety of people, but indeed acting upon those crushes (if the people are not of ~same age) is almost inevitable to be cringe-worthy. And it seems to me that Julian came by with an agenda and is essentially ticking things off a list
[Something like:
1. Find Dillon
2. Say hi, have a drink
3. Cook him a nice, romantic dinner? I cook quite well, so that should be good
4. ???
5. Sex!!]
....and has been ploughing through with it for the past 5 strips without any sign of relenting, with no regard for the other's opinion on the matter (just a little incredulity that Dillon doesn't want to jump him straight away, sort of thing). That's what's rather cringe-worthy, and possibly creepy, to me.

Essentially I want to know Julian's motivation behind this, because I'm not buying the whole "I've been pining after you ever since you left, and have scheduled the first free weekend after I turned 18 to come to you and have hot, steamy sex with you" thing, because it's just a bit ludicrous, mainly due to not allowing the other party to have much say in the matter and also because it would require a staggering amount of self-confidence (I'd be quite suspicious of such a person anyway).

Now, if it turns out he... I don't know, can't get laid back in school because everyone thinks he's this hunky (and hetero) jock, and he's feeling a bit desperate and under pressure because everyone around him is "doing it", and then he remembered his old babysitter and how he's always had a crush on him anyway, and decided to try his luck (or, if he were smarter, tried and talked to him about the situation), then I'd understand it. Not condone it, necessarily, but at least understand.
Mordhaus wrote:The plot, like soup to which the starch of corn hath been added, doth thicken.
EvilSnack wrote:I think that the characters in this comic are as slim as they are because of the exercise they get from jumping to so many conclusions.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Qwertz wrote:In an attempt to slightly relax the tense mood in this thread, here's some light classical music (both Grieg's Peer Gynt Suites :p )
Ah yes, a cheery tale of infidelity, betrayal, and ruthlessness.

But yeah, Julian's behaviour does sound very odd when you describe it like that, doesn't it? Though I'll cut him a little slack for his failure to tak the hint from Dillon yet; whatever is going through his head, this move would have taken quite a bit of determination and commitment; he can't be expected to drop it instantly.

Doesn't stop it seeming creepy, though.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

I just hope Ruby doesn't come back. I didn't like her character at first because she was stuck up and rude. Then she became tolerable and had some character growth. Now, she's worse than Zii; Zii might enjoy yaoi and take pictures, but she doesn't try to force people into yaoi situations.

The only instance I can recall is with Erik and that one guy, and they seemed pretty willing to experiment if it meant learning how to please a woman. Dillon just met Julian after x years, and Ruby forces a butt-grab. She needs to get laid, badly.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

well

Zii was taking advantage of both being down and drunk to get them to do that, but is true that she usually manipulates guys subtly onto that while Ruby tries to force it, even if they keep saying no

hopefully it is just a kid with a new toy thing, and not becoming part of her M. O. from now on
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JTheCreator wrote:I just hope Ruby doesn't come back. I didn't like her character at first because she was stuck up and rude. Then she became tolerable and had some character growth. Now, she's worse than Zii; Zii might enjoy yaoi and take pictures, but she doesn't try to force people into yaoi situations.
Ruby's little bit of bad behaviour strikes me as a rather cool bit of character realism. She was repressed, but then she learned to let go and accept her sexual nature, at least partially - so she reacted by going too far and becoming a bit obsessive. It's a very natural, if annoying, response to a sudden discovery. Frankly, she's got off lightly because all she's obsessed by is watching other people; if she'd got laid by this point, she might be acting just as obsessively in pursuit of actual participation in sex, and really hurting people, including herself.

But the thing about a spring that's suddenly released and starts bouncing round the room is that eventually it comes to rest, and it's no longer under compression or tension. In the long term, sure, Ruby needs to get laid - or rather, she needs to start treating sex as emotional interaction, not as a matter of treating other people as objects - but for now, she just needs to get over her initial over-excitement.

Of course, it doesn't help that she's landed in the Ma3 universe. Most repressed virgins discovering yaoi don't also find themselves surrounded by live-action hot guy-on-guy shows. She's the classic kid in a candy shop.
---------
Spidrift