19-06-15 He was an angel

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 19-06-15 He was an angel

Post by Spidrift »

I think that the "Oh, my! Julian!" and the body language say that Dillon is already at least part-way there.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

It's also likely the age difference between Dillon and Julian isn't that big.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

lot of 15 or 16 years old babysat kids that were 10 or 11

10 years later 25/26 and 20/21
ImageImage

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Spidrift wrote:Last off - am I the only reader finding Ruby's 45-degree slope, semi-jazz-hands posture in the last panel weird?
Not just you.
Spidrift wrote:Ruby's "Straight In Every Way" aura probably extends five miles from her body.
That cracked me up.

Whether the age gap is weird or not depends on how far apart in age they were, and how long its been since they've seen each other. A sufficiently small gap (like, say, 5 years) or a long enough time apart to make the disconnect in the Julien of his memory to Julien of now more complete, and it might not be as weird. I think the sticking point wouldn't be Dillon weirded out by finding Julien attractive; instead, I think he would be stuck trying to treat Julien as, at best, a younger brother instead of an equal.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Pinching bits of material from Douglas Adams often works.

Anyhow, with regard to Dillon - I think that he's say that he likes being around nice-looking guys, even when he knows that there's no chance with them, or when he really shouldn't be chasin', or when even he knows that they're off-limits, just because it's easy on the eyes. Which would be kind of fair enough - I certainly don't mind being around attractive women, even though I'm taken (and act accordingly) - except that Dillon can't always be trusted to remember what he can't or shouldn't do, and so he ends up putting temptation in his own way and then acting like a jerk or a sleaze (as, too often, with Gary).

Of course, in this particular situation, it would just be rude of him to refuse to hang out with this old family friend who he's just invited to visit, just because the guy is good-looking. And yeah, even his "Oh, my! Julian!" may be exactly like Zii calling Ruby "a very fine-looking young woman"; an honest, admiring, but platonic assessment.

Anyhow, we're kind of running on ectoplasmic assumptions here right now. How sleazy Dillon would be if he did make a pass at Julian is a very subjective call, and we don't really know what Dillon thinks or even what Giz personally thinks that Dillon ought to think.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Julian might end up with yet to be seen jerzy's sister
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Ladies & Gentlemen, Thor has entered the building.
Spidrift wrote:Separated at birth?
Julian... *wheeze* I am your father!
Spidrift wrote:And let's not talk about how True Blood makes it impossible to watch The Piano without feeling faintly wrong.
I haven't seen The Piano yet but all I can say concerning True Blood is woohoo! =p~ =p~ =p~

Also, no comment yet on the fact that Dillon has a mother? I thought he was an exiled progeny of Kronar, Son of Man.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Spidrift wrote:Funnily enough, though, Julian ends up resembling the only other designer stubble victim in these comics - Yvan. Especially as they both go for the blow wave look and Julian is solidly hunky while Yvan is overweight. In fact...
Yvan_Julian.png
Separated at birth?
Given that Yvan is, what, mid-40's probably, it's possible Julian is his son assuming that Yvan got married, had a kid and got divorced roughly 20 years prior...and Dillon didn't know Yvan because his mother knew Julian's mother but not Julian's father.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:
Spidrift wrote:And let's not talk about how True Blood makes it impossible to watch The Piano without feeling faintly wrong.
I haven't seen The Piano yet but all I can say concerning True Blood is woohoo!
It's fun, whereas The Piano is genius-grade colonial gothic melodrama, with Anna Paquin fully earning an Oscar at the age of eleven. But, like I said, she's eleven.

(Now, if Holly Hunter floats your boat...)
Don Alexander wrote:Also, no comment yet on the fact that Dillon has a mother?
Dillon is such a raging mass of off-the-shelf gay stereotypes that I took it for granted that (a) he has a mother, (b) he has a very slightly too close relationship with her, and (c) his relationship with his father is more distant. I mean, even if that wasn't how he grew up, he'd have reverse-engineered it that way later.

I assume he's come out to her; she probably said "Yes dear I know".
---------
Spidrift

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I think it would be a neat twist if Dillon didn't have a father :p

But his mother wasn't single.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Don Alexander wrote:
I haven't seen The Piano yet but all I can say concerning True Blood is woohoo! =p~ =p~ =p~

Also, no comment yet on the fact that Dillon has a mother? I thought he was an exiled progeny of Kronar, Son of Man.
at first I thought that it was about Anna Paquin and another actor that appeared in both, but for him is "just the age"

if we go by that, than we would feel weird watching "a little romance" than watching Diane lane as Clark kent's mom right after that in "man of steel", or watching "Gidget" and "the flying nun" than right after watching "Forrest Gump" (Sally Field) or watching ET than right after watch "blended" (Drew Barrymore)

BUT

I have learned to see them as the characters and not the actresses

Lauren King and Martha Kent for Diane Lane
Gidget, sister Bertrille and Mrs. Gump for Sally Field
Gertie and Lauren for the case of Drew

and I see as 2 different persons Alex P Keaton and Marty McFly
ImageImage

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Spidrift wrote:The Piano is genius-grade colonial gothic melodrama, with Anna Paquin fully earning an Oscar at the age of eleven. But, like I said, she's eleven.
Well, I don't have an issue with The Piano, but I am also roughly the same age as Ms. Paquin, so I grew up with her as a "peer" rather than ever seeing her as a child, so to speak.

Just for curiosity's sake, given that she's in her mid thirties now, are there women younger than her that you don't feel weird about finding attractive because you don't have a clear image of them as a child?
Spidrift wrote: Dillon is such a raging mass of off-the-shelf gay stereotypes that I took it for granted that (a) he has a mother, (b) he has a very slightly too close relationship with her, and (c) his relationship with his father is more distant. I mean, even if that wasn't how he grew up, he'd have reverse-engineered it that way later.

I assume he's come out to her; she probably said "Yes dear I know".
Mm, mind, that particular stereotype depends on a certain kind of father too, a manly guy that does manly things and that doesn't try to take their child as they are, but rather tries to force their child into conforming to the image they have in their head of what their child should be like. That "force" can happen passively, by simply not acknowledging or encouraging their child's interests in anything other than what is "correct," although stereotypically it is more usually violent or aggressive. We only really know how Amber and Ruby's family seems to work, and in that case it is Ruby that is the unreasonable "parent" condemning the unacceptable. It would be interesting to see how the other cast member's families work.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a big deal of the Anna Paquin line. But my own response is that I don't have any trouble finding her - or many somewhat younger women than her - attractive; I might just feel a little weird watching The Piano these days, because that's recognisably her, but it's also a pre-pubescent child.

Which is, of course, the inverse of the reaction I might expect from Dillon here, because I was never familiar with Anna Paquin, I just saw her in one (good) movie - so I can see her as an adult and a sexual being, and just be a little weirded out by seeing her as a child. Whereas Dillon was familiar with Julian as a child, and might be expected to have trouble seeing him as a sexualised adult.

As to the stereotype - my point is that Dillon seems to be determined to live every part of the super-mega-gay stereotype every minute of his life, to the point where I'd expect him to mentally shoehorn his memories of his own childhood into that pattern, even if it has nothing to do with the truth. But we probably won't find out, because although I'd love to see more about various characters' childhoods and upbringings, and I find myself writing bad fanfic on the subject in my head in my most stupid moments, these comics really don't do family backgrounds much. They're about rootless (comedy) twenty-somethings constructing urban lives regardless of the places they came from. We get Amber and Ruby as sisters because that's a necessary plot device, we get occasional one-sided 'phone conversations with mothers as required to set up jokes, but I've given up expecting really coherent family histories.

(Which said, of course, the team may yet surprise me one day.)
---------
Spidrift

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

One of the cardinal rules of storytelling is that information is only brought up so long as it is necessary for the plot or characterization.

This rule can be broken, of course, but usually only for the purpose of misdirection.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

He was an angel. Now he's a god. :D ;) :ymdevil:

Are you sure it's not just as much of a sauna on the inside, Ruby? B-)