26-05-15 It looks good

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

JoybuzzerX

Re: 26-05-15 It looks good

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Ruby's blurting out doesn't actually mean there isn't automatic acceptance. It just means she was surprised, which I would think would mean Angel is doing a good job between her looking male and female.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Artemisia wrote:
JTheCreator wrote:Now I'm wondering how Angel's voice sounds. Does she pull a Batman and talk with a low-tone when dressed in grunge? In my head, her voice has changed quite a bit. Has it for anyone else?
My mother's voice is actually pretty low for a woman's, and tends to be mistaken for a man's upon occasion. It's something that happens a lot with my family. Despite the belief that women have high sounding voices and men have low sounding voices, there's a lot of overlap.
I know a few girls like that. I'm just wondering if her voice changed for anyone, mentally. Most of us imprint a voice when reading right? For me it was based on how she dresses I.e. grungy teen to cute girl at the pet store.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

for me, Angel has voice like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9sf4HcwvBY
ImageImage

Milkmaid79

Post by Milkmaid79 »

Given how apparently simple it is in this universe to cross-gender roleplay ('Rudy' didn't seem to make anyone wonder, despite Ruby's pathological fear and repulsion regarding men which would suggest difficulty in portraying one as anything other than a caricature) I'm not sure why Angel would get that sort of attention.

Ruby after meeting Angel 2-3 times seems to be magically more observant that the old man who presumably has been coming into the pet store longer- unless the old man either A) realized that Angel was biologically female and simply liked dressing in 'masculine/androgrynous' clothing previously, or B) thinks Angel is biologically male and wearing a dress (and apparently looking quite good in it-enough to get a reaction from him). Is the old man simply more polite (and apparently much more socially aware than might be expected for his age) in not commenting on his observation?

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

wiseguy wrote:if her body calm in panel 2 was not calm, I would have agreed it would have been possible she was desperate to not think about angel in a dress ..............but she was 100% calm

as I said

she accepted "Angel is like Dillon" (Dill put on dress and disguised himself as a girl for the concert) but than at last panel she realized "Angel is biologically a girl"
While my interpretation hews more closely to yours, I think Ruby's dialogue in this strip suggests something was churning in the back of her mind. Her body was calm and relaxed, yes, but Ruby usually babbles when she's nervous/thrown off balance, and this dialogue can be interpreted as increasingly unhinged babbling. I mean, "My business mind is pleased"?

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

unhinged would be either the kind of making sense "my inner bull market beast is unleashed with thought of this" or with nonsense "the duck happily dances in the hot desert of Antartica"
ImageImage

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Yes, I agree. And I think that phrase falls into the first category.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

for me "business mind is pleased" is unusual but is not mumbling and makes sense
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:Ruby's blurting out doesn't actually mean there isn't automatic acceptance. It just means she was surprised, which I would think would mean Angel is doing a good job between her looking male and female.
I think that Ruby will be accepting, but "automatic" would be too much to hope for.

She's clearly had a rather conventional, small-c-conservative upbringing; I would say "sheltered", but let's be fair, most people's backgrounds involve less in the way of alternative lifestyles and sexualities than one encounters in the Ma3 milieu. And despite her fondness for Google, she's not the sort to spend her time rummaging around the Internet trying to squick herself out on gawk-at-the-sexual-freaks Websites. So since she arrived in the comic, she's been body-slammed out of her comfort zone in every other strip. In those circumstances, she could either tell everyone she met that they were disgusting, and hide in a dark room as much as possible, or she could work on accepting the other characters, being polite to them, and trying to understand them. And honestly, option 1 would have been a lot easier for her.

But she's being written as, essentially, a nice, open-minded person who doesn't like offending other people (albeit with some specific issues regarding her own sexuality and her sister). So she's been busting a gut to be accepting. But no, that doesn't stop her from being surprised - and it would be unrealistic to expect her not to act surprised sometimes. The way she suppressed that reaction for two full panels in this strip was fairly heroic.
Milkmaid79 wrote:('Rudy' didn't seem to make anyone wonder, despite Ruby's pathological fear and repulsion regarding men which would suggest difficulty in portraying one as anything other than a caricature)
Ruby did a decent job as Rudy, with no doubt some help from Dillon on the costuming, but she wasn't that miraculous. She sensibly kept ducking out rather than let Amber get close to her, she seems to have used a rather ridiculous fake-gruff voice, and Matt made her almost instantly. Mostly successful cross-dressing in these comics seems to rely on people assuming things about "male" and "female" clothing and preferably not knowing you too well. The only person to have been seriously fooled over an extended period was Yuki, who has her own weird issues.

Oh, and she doesn't have any sort of pathological fear of men. She has a rather adolescent distaste for the idea of sex, or at least of the idea of engaging in it herself, but she's done a perfectly fair job of interacting with every man she's met under anything like normal circumstances, and seemed to be downright charming to Andy from time to time. Her problems are clearly at the level of nervousness, not terror.
Milkmaid79 wrote:Ruby after meeting Angel 2-3 times seems to be magically more observant that the old man who presumably has been coming into the pet store longer- unless the old man either A) realized that Angel was biologically female and simply liked dressing in 'masculine/androgrynous' clothing previously, or B) thinks Angel is biologically male and wearing a dress (and apparently looking quite good in it-enough to get a reaction from him). Is the old man simply more polite (and apparently much more socially aware than might be expected for his age) in not commenting on his observation?
I got the impression that the old guy had previously thought that Angel was a rather effeminate guy, discovered she was female when she wore a dress, and was totally freaked out and confused by that - but displayed a lot of old-fashioned politeness, and suppressed most of his surprise. He probably finds a lot about the modern world confusing, but tries to live and let live because there's not much he can do about it. Ruby, on the other hand, knows all too well that cross-dressing happens, but was boggled to discover that Angel is yet another case in point. Plus, when she last saw "him", "he" was heading off with a gay man with whom "he'd" evidently once had an intimate relationship. And unlike the old guy, Ruby hasn't given up trying to understand the modern world, and she's permanently a bit on edge.
wi1dfire wrote:I think Ruby's dialogue in this strip suggests something was churning in the back of her mind. Her body was calm and relaxed, yes, but Ruby usually babbles when she's nervous/thrown off balance, and this dialogue can be interpreted as increasingly unhinged babbling. I mean, "My business mind is pleased"?
I suspect that Ruby was just suppressing her surprise a bit better than usual, either simply for the sake of comedy, or because she's had more practise and she's really trying hard not to let things get to her too much.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I like Minew in the last panel: "Oh, what NOW?"
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)