17-04-15 Carried away

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

wiseguy

Re: 17-04-15 Carried away

Post by wiseguy »

true, but when is undetermined PERSON(not the gender in itself, but ends up being so in a secondary manner)

the patient, anyone, someone

but if we go knowing specifically it is Angel .................... or if we go "current president of the USA", the person is not in itself specified, but it is known exactly who we talking about, so we would go "current president of the USA will do his speech soon"
ImageImage

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Oh noes, endless gender taxinomy discussions again. i-)
vampire hunter D wrote:Angel looks good in that. She should just stay a girl. I stil, thjnk the "gender fkuid" act is just tryjng to be skmethjng she's nkt tk win Jerzy back.
I think your keyboard has some problem... :|

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

wiseguy wrote:true, but when is undetermined PERSON(not the gender in itself, but ends up being so in a secondary manner)

the patient, anyone, someone

but if we go knowing specifically it is Angel .................... or if we go "current president of the USA", the person is not in itself specified, but it is known exactly who we talking about, so we would go "current president of the USA will do his speech soon"
I've used it as a non-gender specific pronoun since I was a child...usually when the gender of the individual is unknown. For instance, say author Leslie Johnson has published a book. I would write "Leslie Johnson published their novel" because Leslie is a name I've seen used by both men and women. I've also used it for positions of power where I have no knowledge of the gender of the individual. It is only a short hop to using it for someone who identifies as neither male nor female or who is gender fluid. It is not specifically wrong.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

wiseguy wrote:"If anyone has any objections, they should speak now." is about anyone = a whole bunch of people possibly
Possibly, but anyone is a singular noun,
wiseguy wrote: if we know a mom has a kid but not the gender
we would say

"if her child has any objection, it should speak now" because we know is only one possible person(we just don't know what gender)
No we wouldn't because we don't use 'it' to refer to human beings.
wiseguy wrote:or if we go "current president of the USA", the person is not in itself specified, but it is known exactly who we talking about, so we would go "current president of the USA will do his speech soon"
But, "The next president will give their inaugural speech on ..." as the gender is unknown.

HylianBelmont

Post by HylianBelmont »

I think the question wouldn't be "Boy or girl?" since the target person identifies themselves as neither gender. The real question is (even though we'll never see it) "Penor or Vagoo?"

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

That doesn't necessarily work either. There are people who have had their bits removed to feel more comfortable.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

HylianBelmont

Post by HylianBelmont »

Ah.. yeah that is true. Apologies.. I forgot science can do that. Then I guess the real question would be which bits they were born with? Hypothetically speaking if Angel was born a girl and did get a sex change I hope the doctor was good at his job. I hear it's easier to dig a hole than to make a pole.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote: And given what happened between Zii and Jerzy there is a legitimate reason to hold a grudge against her.
Honestly, no. Zii has done a lot of dubious or questionable things, but banging Jerzy just isn't on the list. (Well, not in relation to Angel, anyway. If she was two-timing Yuki in the process, that was wrong of her.) She said that she thought that Angel was strictly into women, and we have no reason to disbelieve her. (She wasn't in a state to construct coherent lies when she said that.) Meanwhile, Jerzy didn't consider himself to be in any sort of relationship with Angel, so he was free to go for it with Zii if he wanted.

Angel taking this as a reason to break up their musical partnership, initiate a destructive feud with Zii, refuse to let Jerzy stay in the same room as Zii, and refuse to even mention Zii's name, is a sign that Angel is stark staring nuts and just a little bit scary.

Talking of scariness... One wonders how much Felicia knows about all this and recent events. If Jerzy keeps staying out all night and probably not saying where he's been, might we actually see his sister, say, asking Amber for assistance?
HylianBelmont wrote:Ah.. yeah that is true. Apologies.. I forgot science can do that. Then I guess the real question would be which bits they were born with? Hypothetically speaking if Angel was born a girl and did get a sex change I hope the doctor was good at his job. I hear it's easier to dig a hole than to make a pole.
Given that Jerzy addresses Angel as "Angie" when he's careless, and that Angel wears baggy tops when presenting as a guy but close-fitting dresses when presenting as a woman, I think it's a fair guess that Angel was born female and hasn't had much work done.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

HylianBelmont wrote:Ah.. yeah that is true. Apologies.. I forgot science can do that. Then I guess the real question would be which bits they were born with? Hypothetically speaking if Angel was born a girl and did get a sex change I hope the doctor was good at his job. I hear it's easier to dig a hole than to make a pole.
Actually, I was referring to people who have actually had their genitalia removed entirely with nothing being crafted in its place. I know a few cases. Not many, though.

You are correct that, overall, it is easier to create viable female genitalia for a trans woman, but it is still very risky.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I found the ancient thou and thee version of the second person

it used to be Ou, but than it got changed to it, and eventually people associated it with only objects or as derogatory term, generally "it" is viewed as derogatory but not the use of "its"

her child has to learn to behave around its own environment
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Welcome to the English Language where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Hehehehehe ;))

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

things change ;) originally it was legit for people, now many are offended by that word

Today you will be seen as crazy if you used the word Gay to mean Happy, or you are discouraged to call a Detective "a D*ck"

each language has its particulars

in Spanish, the use of "el and La" depends on how the words end

so

Male dove in Spanish is La Paloma, there is no "el palomo"
male seal is la Foca, and if you try to use "el foco" you will be saying the lightbulb

and poor you if you call someone's mouth and legs as "Jeta and pata" as the correct term for humans would be boca and pierna, jeta and pata is for animals or a derogative term
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

English is one of the most bastardized languages in the world. It is comprised of High German, Low German, French, Latin, Brythonic, Irish, Scots, Spanish, Norse, Swedish, Mandarin and a few dozen others. It's amazing that our language holds together. Did you know that the words "shirt" and "skirt" both originally meant the same thing only to diverge and become two separate words :)

I love linguistics :D

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

English is one of the easiest to speak, but one of the hardest to write properly and somewhat hard to read

Spanish is one of the easiest to read, but somewhat difficult to learn to speak and a little hard to write it properly as their verbs and pronouns tend to be complicated, and by the way, through Spanish, English also got indirectly the Arabian words (for a few centuries Spain was under the Moors)
ImageImage