Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 27-03-15 Try new things

Post by Azrael »

Shame on you, Jung. No one likes a rat. :p
sdb20150327.png
sdb20150327.png (121.14 KiB) Viewed 10001 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Junghan! He sensed a disturbance in the Sales Force, and has come to investigate.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Don't bother launching the Blimps of Denial Ruby, The Anti-Air Guns manned by the crew at Pixie Trix Comics are too effective! :ymdevil:

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ha. I wondered if Jung would show up to blow Ruby's cover story.

Somebody should remind him that embarrassing the customers may not be good for business. Not in this case, probably, but, you know, as a general principle. But then, he spends much of his time winding up his regular geek customers, who are the sort to just soak it up, so I guess that this isn't too surprising. Zii, on the other hand, and as I guessed yesterday, has actually learned a little effective sales technique while working in the shop. (She's probably repurposed her old seduction skill set.) One could almost imagine her calling Jung out later for almost endangering her carefully judged sales routine there.

So Ruby will probably now end up begging Zii not to tell Amber about this. Given that Zii tends to be nosy but not malicious, I can imagine her agreeing but also asking what the problem is...

Oh, and somebody remembered to write Ruby with a college-level vocabulary. I don't think many Ma3/SDB characters would use the words "in media res" in casual conversation. Also, does anyone else get the feeling that Giz is really enjoying drawing Ruby's facial expressions these days?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Jung has a lot of experience in this so I cannot see him jeopardizing a sale just to embarrass a customer although I imagine this tends to be a perk.

Given Ruby's current situation her best way out is to tell Zii she does not have the funds to buy anything right now.... and then either Jung or Zii will mention store credit. We can only hope that her fiscal responsibility holds out.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The nerd herd probably see Jung as an alpha geek. That would allow him a lot of leeway for snarking at them; it'd be his right, in their eyes. Expected, even. One secondary reason he's happy to keep someone like Zii around may actually be to deal with non-nerd customers, especially female, who need a little more delicacy. They'd only make a marginal difference to the shop's profits, but it'd mean that he could add that margin without having to change his own habits.

As for Ruby's funds - I get the impression that she still has a bit of reserve cash in hand, but it's only going down. Every comic bought is another half-day sooner that she has to get a job, before she gets embarrassed by her inability to fill her section of the fridge.

Elsewhere, an ironic thought; Zii has always been depicted in Ma3 as a great seducer, but we've rarely seen this skill in use -- we've just seen the consequences. This is kind of a first time for that, even. Which leads my mind to a possible way the next few strips here could go, if you'll pardon my fanfic...

Zii calms Ruby down, promises not to tell anyone else about her interests, rings up the sale, and then tells Jung that she's taking this old friend from back home off for a coffee. (Jung looks long-suffering.) They hit the coffee shop, and we get another guest appearance.

Allie: I'm sorry Zii -- Sonya isn't in this morning...
Zii: No problem. Just two coffees, okay?
Allie: (shrugging) Two coffees it is. (She goes to fetch the jug)
Zii: It's good coffee here...
Ruby: Hmmph!
Zii: What's up?
Ruby: I've just realised...
Zii: What?
(Allie is approaching the table with the coffee.)
Ruby: (Sitting at an angle to the table, scowling and with her arms folded.) You tricked me back there!
Zii: No I didn't... Well, maybe I did, a bit. But be honest, you liked what you got, didn't you?
Ruby: That's not the point!
Zii: Isn't it? I just saw what you really wanted, and persuaded you to go for it, despite what you were saying..
Allie: Oh no, not another one! (She drops the jug...)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Jung is not a rat; he's a troll. And as a true troll, he will not concern himself with the possibility of a hit in sales (not that I think that is a real risk here anyway), as he is dedicated to his craft first and foremost and truly desires to spread the gift of trolling to all.

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

Why didn't Jung get a tag?!?!- kidding, kidding.

Hopefully Ruby takes being played by Zii with a bit of grace.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Panel play by play: :) :D :)) =))

This one gave me a big smile until the last panel, then I lost it =)) That was well played by Jung.

I just love all the expressions on Ruby in this comic.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

KittyHat wrote:Jung is not a rat; he's a troll. And as a true troll, he will not concern himself with the possibility of a hit in sales (not that I think that is a real risk here anyway), as he is dedicated to his craft first and foremost and truly desires to spread the gift of trolling to all.
Actually, thinking about it, I reckon that Jung got a pretty good measure of Ruby yesterday, and so he simply knows that he doesn't have to worry at this point (and he can tell Zii as much if she complains about him messing up her sales pitch); they've got a new junkie here. At worst, if he scared Ruby off today, she'd be back inside a week.

But yes, he'd also very likely value a snark point scored above even the profit on a couple of books.
Odd Man Out wrote:Why didn't Jung get a tag?!?!
Particularly odd in that Minew does get tagged, despite not being visible anywhere in this strip. A minor correction needed there.
Odd Man Out wrote:Hopefully Ruby takes being played by Zii with a bit of grace.
This was basically a standard Zii seduction, and the point about Zii's seductions is that the targets are rarely really resentful; rather too much the opposite, in fact. But anyway, this is very much the same situation as Ruby got into with Dillon, and so, once again, a lot depends on Zii having the grace to promise not to tell everyone about this. (Especially when Ruby remembers that Zii knows Amber.) If Zii has the smarts to realise that she needs to promise this without being asked, they should definitely be fine.

There's also still the small furry elephant in the room riding in Ruby's shoulder-bag, too.
FlashD81 wrote:I just love all the expressions on Ruby in this comic.
Like I said, I think that Giz is enjoying drawing this character. Though the quasi-manga sweat drops keep jarring with me.
---------
Spidrift

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

they are Bonding! they are bonding!!!'

now about all of you attacking poor Jung

he ACTUALLY helped poor Ruby

think about it .............. without him, she would have had a very hard time explaining to Zii why she did not want to get volumes 1 and 2 of that series and we would have eventually seen both girls get to same point they are at the last panel
ImageImage

SilentChaos87

Post by SilentChaos87 »

Zii eases in, Jung goes for the knock out.

I think that last panel is my favorite of all of Ruby's reactions to being caught red handed.
Tropemaster General
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.
As a gamer I acknowledge and respect those who play for fun. So long as they acknowledge and respect that I also play to win.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

JUNGHAN THE DESTROYER!!!!

Veni, vidi, vici.

Is he my favorite character or what?? =)) =)) =))

Also, Minew will pee all over the yaoi because he is being ignored.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

wiseguy wrote:think about it .............. without him, she would have had a very hard time explaining to Zii why she did not want to get volumes 1 and 2 of that series and we would have eventually seen both girls get to same point they are at the last panel
That was my take as well. Ruby, as noted, is not an adept liar. Without Jung, her attempts to disassociate herself from yaoi would have reached Sonya levels of denial. And since Zii clearly didn't believe a word of it, Ruby just got saved from the unneeded stress of weeks, possibly months, of lying.

The situation isn't beyond salvage, either. Now that the truth has been brought out into the open, Zii can take this opportunity to create a bond with Ruby, tapping the same techniques she used to bring Gary out of his shell. "I could never get Amber into this stuff," might prove surprisingly effective. Not making fun of her for her interest, and I can't imagine Zii would make fun of anyone for liking yaoi, might make Ruby a loyal customer, since she could share her interest with people who understand her and don't judge her.