27-03-15 Try new things

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

wiseguy

Re: 27-03-15 Try new things

Post by wiseguy »

it worked!!!!!!! wanted to make sure people actually read what I wrote ;) thanks and fixed
ImageImage

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Heh, I'm sure Ruby must be feeling like she Can't Get Away With Nuthin'. That and wishing a hole would open up beneath her so she could fall into it and disappear.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

well, if we talking "hiding her bad behavior" (no one knowing she does that), if it was "waiting for Dillon to bring more" than is likely one could get away with it, but she lessened odds of getting away when she bought more than planned the last time, and it went out of the window when she decided to "check it out" again for no reason

if we talking about "lying her way out" than she simply.......................

let's just say she is not ready to try her hand on any kind of poker
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Collarnorcrown wrote:Oh man. Jung from the top rope with a finish move!
Not really. She can say that the first 2 volumes were for her roommate to replace the ones she accidentally damaged which is true. And the only reason she read those was so she could find an exact replacement which is partially true.
No, I'm afraid that her whole structure of white lies is collapsing like a house of cards. She presented to Zii as someone who didn't even know that this was a comics shop; now, Jung has just revealed that she was in there yesterday. Conversely, she implied to Zii that she was willing to give yaoi a fair trial, but Jung may give away that she was spinning the whole "I don't approve, but it's for a friend" yarn yesterday. Not that he'll have believed that, but Ruby knows that's what she said. And it's not like she's any kind of natural liar in the first place.

She just can't take this any further; she's back to where she was a couple of strips ago - feeling completely humiliated and assuming that Zii will be laughing in her face. Fortunately for her, though, while Zii may be unable to resist a giggle and is unlikely to have much time for prudes, she now knows Ruby as someone who's prepared to give things like yaoi a try; if she's a prude, she's apparently a prude who's open to changing. And Zii enjoys helping people get more relaxed about their sexual tastes. (Plus, cute kitten.) So Zii's next line is likely to be something like "Hey, don't worry about it - you don't have to be so uptight, though." Even if it is delivered over a smirk.
brasca wrote:Of course that could lead to the revelation that her roommate is Dillon which may or may not be a good way to change the conversation. Having read some of the older strips again it seems quite plausible that Amber may never have mentioned her sister is temporarily living with her during previous rendezvous.
That's something I'm curious about. Logically, one would think that Amber would have said something about her sister having shown up, if only in passing. And if she did, well, Zii may let slip something about what Amber has said about Ruby. (It can't have been too embittered; Zii seemed quite happy to see Ruby.) However, Amber has a really bad habit of compartmentalising; she doesn't mention stuff to people who aren't directly affected, because it sometimes leads to painful complications. If Amber hasn't mentioned Ruby to Zii, Zii may be a little bemused - and may start sounding Ruby out about her view of Amber (and Dillon), just out of casual nosiness.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I'll laugh so hard if Ruby manages to leave the shop (with more yaoi, of course) without Minew ever having been mentioned.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'd just be puzzled.

Minew; the smallest, furriest, cutest elephant ever in the room...
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:
Collarnorcrown wrote:Oh man. Jung from the top rope with a finish move!
Not really. She can say that the first 2 volumes were for her roommate to replace the ones she accidentally damaged which is true. And the only reason she read those was so she could find an exact replacement which is partially true.
No, I'm afraid that her whole structure of white lies is collapsing like a house of cards. She presented to Zii as someone who didn't even know that this was a comics shop; now, Jung has just revealed that she was in there yesterday. Conversely, she implied to Zii that she was willing to give yaoi a fair trial, but Jung may give away that she was spinning the whole "I don't approve, but it's for a friend" yarn yesterday. Not that he'll have believed that, but Ruby knows that's what she said. And it's not like she's any kind of natural liar in the first place.

She just can't take this any further; she's back to where she was a couple of strips ago - feeling completely humiliated and assuming that Zii will be laughing in her face. Fortunately for her, though, while Zii may be unable to resist a giggle and is unlikely to have much time for prudes, she now knows Ruby as someone who's prepared to give things like yaoi a try; if she's a prude, she's apparently a prude who's open to changing. And Zii enjoys helping people get more relaxed about their sexual tastes. (Plus, cute kitten.) So Zii's next line is likely to be something like "Hey, don't worry about it - you don't have to be so uptight, though." Even if it is delivered over a smirk.
The reactions are always embellished for the sake of comedy. The house of card will fall, but it would be a bit soon. There is still a lot of mileage to be gained with this charade.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:Of course that could lead to the revelation that her roommate is Dillon which may or may not be a good way to change the conversation. Having read some of the older strips again it seems quite plausible that Amber may never have mentioned her sister is temporarily living with her during previous rendezvous.
That's something I'm curious about. Logically, one would think that Amber would have said something about her sister having shown up, if only in passing. And if she did, well, Zii may let slip something about what Amber has said about Ruby. (It can't have been too embittered; Zii seemed quite happy to see Ruby.) However, Amber has a really bad habit of compartmentalising; she doesn't mention stuff to people who aren't directly affected, because it sometimes leads to painful complications. If Amber hasn't mentioned Ruby to Zii, Zii may be a little bemused - and may start sounding Ruby out about her view of Amber (and Dillon), just out of casual nosiness.
Amber could not remember what degree she received in college. Unless Ruby was the kind of sister who constantly changed her major and I doubt it Amber should know that much as well as that she graduated. However, she does tend to compartmentalize like you said so it seems likely that this is something that could slip her mind easily enough.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:The reactions are always embellished for the sake of comedy. The house of card will fall, but it would be a bit soon. There is still a lot of mileage to be gained with this charade.
Not really, no. The fibs to Jung and Zii were thin enough to begin with; now those two are in the same room, even at her most optimistic, Ruby has to see that she's lost this game. Heck, she was prepared to be exposed and humiliated the moment that Zii appeared; she's just been sidetracked into trying a lie that's now collapsed. Her faceless, bowed head in the last panel looks to me like someone who knows that she's completely beaten.

(Which is ironic, because Zii probably doesn't see this as a game she needed to win. She pretty clearly understood what was up with Ruby all along.)

Ruby getting embarrassed and trying to spin impossible cover stories is a recurring theme, certainly, but the writers don't try to stretch it indefinitely. That would be stupid, even if they have tended to overdo the "humiliate the nerd" gag in the past. Ruby stopped trying to lie when Dillon cornered her, and Zii is in much the same position now. (Actually, one point of this scene may be Ruby coming to accept that this isn't an interest she can hide very easily.) Conversely, bringing Zii in for a guest appearance really ought to be about more than giving Ruby someone else to lie to, badly. I think that the next strip will move things along a bit.

(If the next thing we see is Ruby fleeing the shop in panic, well, that'll move the plot in other ways. Hopefully, Zii would be worried enough to call Amber to check that her sister was okay...)
brasca wrote:Amber could not remember what degree she received in college.
Indeed, and I doubt that Amber talked about Ruby to Zii much if at all before SDB started its run. However, this isn't now a matter of talking about a kid sister who's off at uni; it's about the person who's taken half of Amber's bed and who's frankly sometimes being a pain in the butt. Amber cannot forget about Ruby at present. With most people, I'd be absolutely stunned if this wasn't the first thing they mentioned in casual chats with their very good friend (with benefits). On the other hand, this is Amber, who's weird like that. (I think she may have a lower embarrassment threshold than you'd think, just not regarding sex.) If she hasn't even mentioned Ruby to Zii, that's a sign of just how weird.
---------
Spidrift

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Spidrift wrote:I'd just be puzzled.

Minew; the smallest, furriest, cutest elephant ever in the room...
Have you considered the idea that Minew was written onto the scene for Ruby to have someone to talk to out loud, and so has already served its narrative purpose?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yes, I have. The problem with that is that Ruby is perfectly capable of talking to herself, and of generating serious thought bubbles.

She's an introvert and a nerd; of course she has a voluminous interior monologue, sometimes cast in paragraphs. Minew is useful to save her from looking too crazy, especially when she treats him as the voice of her conscience, but she can manage fine without.
---------
Spidrift

tityanya

Post by tityanya »

Azrael wrote:Shame on you, Jung. No one likes a rat. :p
sdb20150327.png
Just out of curiosity, why do you always post the strip inside the forum? I've been seeing you do it for a while and I wanted to know.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Because a couple of people are having trouble with the site itself and can't see the comic there, so I post it here.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

saw an issue now with firefox and school bites, but no issue with chrome

maybe ones with issue can get chrome?
ImageImage

tityanya

Post by tityanya »

Azrael wrote:Because a couple of people are having trouble with the site itself and can't see the comic there, so I post it here.
Aaah okay! Thank you!