17-03-15 We work hard

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

TwoWayStar

Re: 17-03-15 We work hard

Post by TwoWayStar »

Artemisia wrote:...Ruby should meet someone named Sapphire and fall in love...

Me being weird/silly again :p
And their couple name can be Garnet right? *excited dance* I got the reference! :33 Super love everything about the show and those two and everything. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Anyhoo, I sadly don't think she'll start working there at all or at least anytime soon. We'd end up at some point having to do another 2 comic-time-crossover and I watched everyone get mutinous about it the longer it went on.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:I'm really not sure how Ruby is supposed to be approaching her job search. In my days as a fresh graduate, one started with the university careers service
You had this ? Lucky you !

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:I'm really not sure how Ruby is supposed to be approaching her job search. In my days as a fresh graduate, one started with the university careers service, then resorted to scanning adverts and contacting likely companies by post and so on. (I'm sure it'd be Web pages and e-mail these days.) Pounding the pavements on spec like a hobo looking for harvest work wasn't a plausible strategy.

I'm not sure that we're looking at 100% realism here.
She said she was exploring her options which is not the same thing as sending out resumes or attending interviews and job fairs. This is reconnaissance and just as Soundwave needs Ravage to help out Ruby needs Minew.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:
Spidrift wrote:I'm really not sure how Ruby is supposed to be approaching her job search. In my days as a fresh graduate, one started with the university careers service
Back in the day, which was admittedly a while ago. It was a good university that seemed to feel obliged to be helpful, too.
brasca wrote:She said she was exploring her options which is not the same thing as sending out resumes or attending interviews and job fairs.
Fair enough, but I'd still think that the Web would be more use than pounding the pavements at that point.
brasca wrote:This is reconnaissance and just as Soundwave needs Ravage to help out Ruby needs Minew.
She's not Gary, you know.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Bambikles wrote:
Back in the day, which was admittedly a while ago. It was a good university that seemed to feel obliged to be helpful, too.
Good for you. My university's career services was not all that helpful so I can relate to Ruby.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:She said she was exploring her options which is not the same thing as sending out resumes or attending interviews and job fairs.
Fair enough, but I'd still think that the Web would be more use than pounding the pavements at that point.
The web is good for finding out who is hiring, but sometimes when you scout out locations you can learn things the human resources people don't want you to know like whether the office is in a good location or if the workers leave looking like they prefer death over one more day there.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:This is reconnaissance and just as Soundwave needs Ravage to help out Ruby needs Minew.
She's not Gary, you know.
We cannot be sure of her childhood preferences. Besides I know nothing about My Little Pony or anything Ruby would have liked as a child so I work with what I know.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I imagine Ruby as a terribly serious child, but I'm completely out of touch as to what that would have meant for her TV watching. Back in my day, there were factual magazine programmes for kids like that to fixate on, but that was many years and an ocean away from Ruby's childhood.

She does feel a need for some escapism, though - we know she has a bit of a '70s TV habit. Actually, I'd bet that the young Ruby was a very heavy reader. A Philip Pullman addict, maybe? If she subconsciously wants to be Lyra, then carrying Minew around with her ... achieves a certain significance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

TwoWayStar wrote:
Artemisia wrote:...Ruby should meet someone named Sapphire and fall in love...

Me being weird/silly again :p
And their couple name can be Garnet right? *excited dance* I got the reference! :33 Super love everything about the show and those two and everything. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Anyhoo, I sadly don't think she'll start working there at all or at least anytime soon. We'd end up at some point having to do another 2 comic-time-crossover and I watched everyone get mutinous about it the longer it went on.
Well, we don't have to see Zii often, but then again, as Dave B at Grrl Power pointed out, comic book shops rarely have more than two employees...

And...I only just got into the series, but I'm loving it so far :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Spidrift wrote:Though if she did end up wearing a weird outfit for some bizarre reason...
In these comics, is there any OTHER kind of reason? ;)