17-03-15 We work hard

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

wi1dfire

Re: 17-03-15 We work hard

Post by wi1dfire »

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote:
Spidrift wrote:I still think that it's unlikely that she'll get a full-time job there, though like I said, she might get a CV-filler doing their books; it's not like playing counter candy to the Generic Geek Group would really fit her style.
However...I'm sure everyone here KNOWS that if she's hired in any capacity, for any length of time, the day will soon arrive when (for some reason--or none) she'll have to wear the Magical Tralala outfit. :ymdevil:
I wonder how Ruby might respond to Jung's ideas of employee uniforms? I don't think she's capable of backing down from a challenge to her professionalism, so if he sold it to her the way he sold it to Zii, I think she'd be willing to do it. Probably even more willing than Zii. Unlike Zii, who sees sex everywhere, one of Ruby's particular quirks is she doesn't see herself in a sexually charge situation, even while she's experiencing one. Jung might well tell her that "comic book sellers have to be dressed like comic book characters around here," she'd take it at face value and not even think about how provocative she looks.

Until, naturally, either Dillon or Zii points it out to her. Then she'll explode.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's true that she fell for a similar line from Professor Conried - but, well, that might be a good reason why she wouldn't fall for such a pitch from Jung. She does seem capable of learning (unlike some characters in the setting), and that was part of her line to Dillon when she talked him down from his crying jag. She's been reminded of what most people thinks looks professional, and she doesn't entirely trust men. (Professor Conried had an unfair advantage there.) Talk me into a ra-ra skirt once, shame on me; talk me into one twice...

Plus, she may have doublethought herself into going to the shop with the idea of applying for a job, but she's still looking for something appropriate for a BBA; I would assume that if Jung offered her a place behind the counter, she'd politely turn him down and go look elsewhere (after spending too much money on some more yaoi). Something involving bookkeeping or stock control would look more plausible on her resume. (Though she seems to be getting tighter for cash, so that attitude may devolve over time.) One suddenly imagines her swanning in and being put in charge of Zii.

And, well, call me naive, but I'm not sure that Jung would try pulling that stunt on her. He likes seeing his costume designs being worn, but he's not a total jerk, he already knows that Ruby has a low embarrassment threshold, and unlike Zii, Ruby hasn't done anything to annoy him. And actually, come to think of it, he might see Ruby as totally unsuited to a magic girl outfit. Now, if he happens to have an Emma Peel/Baroness/cross-dressed Captain Harlock costume in the back of the shop, he might look at Ruby and be tempted - and if she fell for that, I'm not sure that the effect on Ruby's emotional state would be entirely bad. Look what the Rudy costume did for her, after all.

(Aaargh. Damn. I'm now imagining Ruby in black leathers.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Fall for what though? Unlike the vast majority of the cast, and unlike the professor, Jung might really just want to see his works shown off on a body that can wear them well. That they'd help sell comics to impressionable teenage boys is a bonus, but I can't imagine him mistaking Ruby for someone that can pull that off. Unless she was dressed as a professor, of course.

He put ZII in somehting that was totally against her personality, because she annoyed him, but I think he could find something might actually suit Ruby well, despite even her own self image. And I think, if she was able to trust him, she'd might even get explore new aspects of her personality in a safe manner, by being able to take those aspects off at the end of the work day. She'd never, ever, EVER, want Amber to find out about said costume, and would immediately misconstrue any compliments Amber might give her if she does find out, but I think she might be more amendable to it all than she might admit.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, she might manage to handle it the way that she handled being Rudy. But that's at the end of a long trail of conditional hypotheses. Though what isn't?

(And I kind of want Amber to discover about Rudy, somehow, despite my sympathy for Ruby. Because I'm pretty sure that Amber would be impressed, especially if she learned that Rudy had saved Dillon's bacon, and Ruby really needs to lose the paranoia about Amber's opinion of her.)

Also, those imaginary black leathers. Again.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

it would make sense for ruby getting a job at shop on a temporary basis while she looks for something better for the long term. especially if her savings are starting to run a bit thin; i imagine her pride would have her doing just about anything to avoid feeling like she's mooching off her 'degenerate' sister (i forget, do amber & dillon pay rent, or is the apartment on nathan's dime?), with the possible exception of asking the parents for help.

of course, it's possible that junghan might hand off the running of the store so that he can spend more time on his personal projects & interests. which would basically make ruby zii's boss :ymdevil:

but personally, i'm still holding out hope that amber can pull some old connections to get ruby a job somewhere in the industry
Yet still, I live...

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

...Ruby should meet someone named Sapphire and fall in love...

Me being weird/silly again :p
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

if all 3 work, the kitten needs a kitsitter

maybe Jerzy or his sister
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

sdb20150317.png
sdb20150317.png (112.59 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

JTheCreator wrote:Toot toot make way for the Gary-Ruby ship!

*Standing on the deck of the frigate PTCS RUBY-MATT* FIRE!!! :p
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

'J' wrote:it would make sense for ruby getting a job at shop on a temporary basis while she looks for something better for the long term. especially if her savings are starting to run a bit thin; i imagine her pride would have her doing just about anything to avoid feeling like she's mooching off her 'degenerate' sister (i forget, do amber & dillon pay rent, or is the apartment on nathan's dime?), with the possible exception of asking the parents for help.
Amber and Dillon scammed the apartment free and clear from Nathan, so no rent is involved. However, Ruby certainly gets her own food in, and has dropped hints that she's getting tight for cash, so she's evidently on a limited budget. She does have her pride, and is a bit obsessed with doing the correct thing, so she's quite likely voluntarily covered some of the utilities bills and such, too.
of course, it's possible that junghan might hand off the running of the store so that he can spend more time on his personal projects & interests. which would basically make ruby zii's boss
That would indeed be funny - but Jung doesn't own the store (he's talked about management he reports to; my assumption is that the store is part of a chain), so subcontracting the admin would be a bit sketchy of him. But the writers might fudge that a bit.
but personally, i'm still holding out hope that amber can pull some old connections to get ruby a job somewhere in the industry
I really, really couldn't see Ruby being able to handle that, emotionally; not only dumped in an environment she finds disgusting, but put in debt to Amber to that extent at the same time. Not-funny levels of stress.
Adamas wrote:*Standing on the deck of the frigate PTCS RUBY-MATT* FIRE!!!
I doubt that Matt would be interested in Ruby, but let's face it, if he was, he'd be far too good a choice. He has charm, intelligence, and a surprising amount of sensitivity, and I'm sure that he'd make it a point of pride to make her decide that sex wasn't such a bad idea after all. In other words, there's not enough drama involved for this to happen.

Except, of course, that Matt would leave the door unlocked.* If Dillon walked in, The nearest thing that Ruby has yet got to a friendship would take a serious hit; if Amber walked in, Ruby's totally crippling embarrassment would not be reduced by the respect that Amber would express for her accomplishment in bagging that hardbody. Every minute for the next month.

*Though if there's one person I could imagine saying "Shouldn't we lock the door?" before things started, it'd be Ruby. Which is kind of the reason why I couldn't see Matt being interested in her.
---------
Spidrift

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Spidrift wrote:(Also, I assume it's not just me thinking that Ruby is looking gorgeous in this strip?)
As far as I'm concerned, you assume correctly. She is very cute in this one. :ymblushing:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think it's because she's mostly relaxed, but not grinning like an idiot - and the smart-casual look suits her figure (which is slim but not skinny).
---------
Spidrift

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Yeah I know Spidrift, it was the most unlikely ship I could think off. :ymdevil:
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

I'm under the impression that Ruby doesn't have the faintest idea of how to explore her options...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm really not sure how Ruby is supposed to be approaching her job search. In my days as a fresh graduate, one started with the university careers service, then resorted to scanning adverts and contacting likely companies by post and so on. (I'm sure it'd be Web pages and e-mail these days.) Pounding the pavements on spec like a hobo looking for harvest work wasn't a plausible strategy.

I'm not sure that we're looking at 100% realism here.
---------
Spidrift