Giz
Site Admin

10-03-15 Kiss one of my biggest crushes

Post by Giz »

Frostbite

Re: 10-03-15 Kiss one of my biggest crushes

Post by Frostbite »

Dining at the Y... gonna have to remember that one
"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly! Its the honest ones you need to watch out for, since you never know when they'll do something incredibly stupid"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mmm. Good euphemism.

However, Ruby is being a little uncharacteristically slow here. Dillon may be saying loudly that he's gay, but he's still admitted to having given Amber oral sex. Now, will she remember that and ask what the hell that was about, or are we required to think that her yaoi fixation makes her completely stupid? And will Amber and Dillon actually notice that Ruby is talking weirdly here, or are they going to suffer from comedy selective deaf-and-blindness? I'd kind of prefer the former, myself, because I find that comedy convention rather annoying.

But I don't hold out a lot of hope. Selective blindness and stupidity are a bit too common in this setting.

(And just to add the obvious - God, Ruby needs to get laid. That honestly isn't something I like saying about female characters, especially ones I like as people, but Ruby's mis-channelled libido is messing up her ability to interact with people and strangling back her natural intelligence. I much prefer seeing her written as having a working brain, and if she needs to screw a few orgasms out of Andy to get her IQ back into three figures, then fine.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

And there we go - confirmation that Dillon never told Amber (or even so much as implied) that Gary was gay/bi. The assumption that he was, was entirely on Amber's part.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

philippos42

Post by philippos42 »

Ah, yes, that is a big deal.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:And there we go - confirmation that Dillon never told Amber (or even so much as implied) that Gary was gay/bi.
Amber could reasonably say that, under the circumstances, not saying that he wasn't was a fairly large hint that he was. But we're certainly seeing the usual Ma3-universe levels of communication and logic from all three characters here.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Mmm. Good euphemism.

However, Ruby is being a little uncharacteristically slow here. Dillon may be saying loudly that he's gay, but he's still admitted to having given Amber oral sex. Now, will she remember that and ask what the hell that was about, or are we required to think that her yaoi fixation makes her completely stupid? And will Amber and Dillon actually notice that Ruby is talking weirdly here, or are they going to suffer from comedy selective deaf-and-blindness? I'd kind of prefer the former, myself, because I find that comedy convention rather annoying.

But I don't hold out a lot of hope. Selective blindness and stupidity are a bit too common in this setting.

(And just to add the obvious - God, Ruby needs to get laid. That honestly isn't something I like saying about female characters, especially ones I like as people, but Ruby's mis-channelled libido is messing up her ability to interact with people and strangling back her natural intelligence. I much prefer seeing her written as having a working brain, and if she needs to screw a few orgasms out of Andy to get her IQ back into three figures, then fine.)
Don't underestimate the calming effect of yaoi with her.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It calms her, the way that Minew calms her, but it does nothing for her intelligence. She's calm as of panel 4 here, because her yaoi fantasies have kicked in again, but she's not thinking. The repression is taking over her system; she needs to get it out.
---------
Spidrift

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

Frostbite wrote:Dining at the Y... gonna have to remember that one
I work at a place that uses the letter Y, as part as it name, it even funnier to me :)

Holy Carp, he admits it, it must be an act of Cod or something. He admit to Gary being Strait and knows the crush is one sided, and admits it to Amber too.
"Somebody just stake me now"

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Well...that revelation certainly went a lot more quickly and smoothly than it should have--and a lot more quickly and smoothly than we all were expecting. I get the impression that the authors just wanted to get it over with, without weeks (months?) of unnecessary comedic drama. Still, I'm glad for all three characters to see them get this cleared up. :-bd I for one would have found the expected level of persistent misunderstanding and anger excruciating.

ETA: Happy-happy Ruby is awesome! (Does this mean Amber is ungrounded?)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:(And just to add the obvious - God, Ruby needs to get laid. That honestly isn't something I like saying about female characters, especially ones I like as people, but Ruby's mis-channelled libido is messing up her ability to interact with people and strangling back her natural intelligence. I much prefer seeing her written as having a working brain, and if she needs to screw a few orgasms out of Andy to get her IQ back into three figures, then fine.)
Agreed. Ruby came up quite pathetic in the whole sequence, and especially this strip, to the point it makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'd like to have her back at normal as soon as possible, even if I'm not particularly fond of her.

In the other, it was a great way to show that her denial doesn't simply makes her uptight and prudish, but that it badly messes her up and is more than just a laughable comedy quirk.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

TJgalon wrote:Holy Carp, he admits it, it must be an act of Cod or something. He admit to Gary being Strait and knows the crush is one sided, and admits it to Amber too.
Dillon has, genuinely, reformed quite a bit. You can call it Ruby's good influence, you can call it the writers realising that they'd made their cute lead character far too much of an asshole in volume 1, but he's turning over a few new leaves these days. And it's not like the Gary-crush has been going anywhere much for quite a while.
Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote:Still, I'm glad for all three characters to see them get this cleared up. :-bd I for one would have found the expected level of persistent misunderstanding and anger excruciating.
However, as I said, Ruby ought still to be asking how Amber knows that Dillon is good at cunnilingus. I suspect that she won't, though. It is bad enough when any character is written as stupid just to keep the comedy going; when it happens to a character who's supposed to be one of the smarter ones, it gets especially frustrating.
---------
Spidrift

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Bambikles wrote:
Spidrift wrote:(And just to add the obvious - God, Ruby needs to get laid. That honestly isn't something I like saying about female characters, especially ones I like as people, but Ruby's mis-channelled libido is messing up her ability to interact with people and strangling back her natural intelligence. I much prefer seeing her written as having a working brain, and if she needs to screw a few orgasms out of Andy to get her IQ back into three figures, then fine.)
Agreed. Ruby came up quite pathetic in the whole sequence, and especially this strip, to the point it makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'd like to have her back at normal as soon as possible, even if I'm not particularly fond of her.

In the other, it was a great way to show that her denial doesn't simply makes her uptight and prudish, but that it badly messes her up and is more than just a laughable comedy quirk.
Yes, these last few strips have made Ruby look terrible.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote:Well...that revelation certainly went a lot more quickly and smoothly than it should have--and a lot more quickly and smoothly than we all were expecting. I get the impression that the authors just wanted to get it over with, without weeks (months?) of unnecessary comedic drama. Still, I'm glad for all three characters to see them get this cleared up. :-bd I for one would have found the expected level of persistent misunderstanding and anger excruciating.

ETA: Happy-happy Ruby is awesome! (Does this mean Amber is ungrounded?)
I'm okay with the quick resolution, tbh, because I think the writers were a bit misguided in potentially opening this door to questioning Dillon's sexuality. He is gay. No matter how many times he has eaten Amber's peach or how many girls he banged in high school, he is a gay man because he identifies as such. Not bi, not questioning. Gay. I think that the writers belatedly realized that the prior strip, if allowed to play out, could lead to shark-jumping and wisely decided to shut the door quickly lest there be any debate. I applaud them for this.

I doubt Ruby will know anything for a long time about the situation where Dillon ate Amber out. At least, not the trufax. Telling her the truth would mean Dillon and Amber both admitting that they wilfully fucked a married man in order to advance their careers and then blackmailed said man for the happening pad they now share. If Amber doesn't realize it, then Dillon must at this point know that if Ruby were to find out these things, she'd run a mile, likely cut Amber off entirely and stop speaking to Dillon and possibly would inform their parents of what their "perfect daughter" has been up to. So I think that door will stay closed for awhile.

What I would like to see is Ruby questioning Dillon on why he kept up his crush on Gary so long if he knew Gary was straight and incapable of returning his feelings. It's different with Ray. Ray was Dillon's first crush and probably the catalyst for helping Dillon to realize he is exclusively sexually attracted to men. Plus, Ray might be bi. Gary is not, so far as we know. I'd love to see Dillon examine why he's drawn to emotionally unavailable men like Matt or unattainable men like Gary. Then I feel there will be even more growth.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Funny game: according to you all, who's who in the 4th panel ? :p