13-02-15 You are the target audience

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

wiseguy

Re: 13-02-15 You are the target audience

Post by wiseguy »

I think she is capable of having friends and has a few friends at her hometown

the main thing for her is that until she moved to live with Amber, she usually went into a friendship with "safe friends", ones who would have the "same values as her", she looks right now without friends because she is right now in the "Amber world"(NOT THE Amber Amber world, she as far as we know has not met Chanelle), but if you got her a job in a Office for an accounting firm, she would probably be comfortable talking to her new coworkers, but if she got even same type of job, but it being for the headquarters for a company that runs 10 places around Canada of dancing girls, she probably would feel off the bat uncomfortable talking to the coworkers
ImageImage

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Ruby is very innocent and naive, especially in anything related to sex, to the point of wilful ignorance. This would be partly comedy and partly her hang-ups meaning that she'd have a fingers-in-her-ears response to anything she did hear concerning sexuality. On top of that, frankly, the characters in these comics often seem a couple of decades or more out of date in all sorts of ways (the use of snail mail to send photos, a lot of the musical references), and the pervasiveness of manga/anime in geek culture, let alone the wider world, is actually a modern phenomenon; someone Ruby's age might be expected to have heard the term these days, but a few years back, not so much.

Okay, I admit it, I think I may first have heard the term "yaoi" from these comics. Now, just to be indelicate and ungentlemanly - I'm apparently a few years older than Giz, but not that many, and writers tend to impose their own cultural assumptions onto their characters.
I only learned about yaoi when I discovered his twin yuri. The things I first saw when I got my own internet connection. =p~

Regarding Ruby's knowledge of such things it is difficult to assess since she does not seem so sheltered that she knows nothing about the LGBT community. It may be passing knowledge, but she knew Dillon could not have possibly seduced straight men into cheating on their girlfriends and had the wherewithal to conclude that they were just pretending so they could sleep with him. Perhaps she knows the technical parts of relationships and social interaction rather than any sensation or desire.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The things I first saw when I got my own Internet connection were some kind of DOS sign-on screen and a text-based Usenet news system. I think that Mosaic appeared a few months later.

What Ruby knows about the LGBT community, or human sexual psychology, is probably exactly what an intelligent person can get from watching mainstream television and reading a few newspaper articles. She's not stupid about people, but she doesn't claim to know the details of the gay lifestyle. Before she came to the apartment, she probably had a few vague ideas about lispy queens from '70s TV cop shows, overlaid with an awareness from more modern sources that really, many gay people act a bit more conventionally than that.

What she pulled on Dillon was basic common sense, combined with one simple piece of information that even a sheltered small-town girl can get from casual reading (that people's sexuality is fairly deep-rooted), and one bit of simple cynicism that everyone's mothers should tell them ("people will pull a lot of dubious bullshit to get other people into bed"). She is smart, but she only looked amazingly insightful there because Dillon is such a twit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

So, basically, Ruby's impression of gay men is Tim Curry in drag singing "Sweet Transvestite"?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

before she saw gay men as feminine and girly talk(Dillon is mostly like that)

only when she met Dillon and saw him with Jerzy did she start thinking "handsome muscled boys" as people who might be gay, and Yaoi mags are basically watching 2 Jerzys together

she has not seen(or envision) Gay bears, nor can she envision someone looking like Tom Selleck as gay, or someone looking like Robert De Niro................maybe someone with looks of Leo diCaprio or Bieber
ImageImage

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

in that case, somebody needs to show ruby Stardust.

gay robert de niro is awesome.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, on consideration, I don't think that Ruby is hopelessly ignorant about gay men. She's a bit conventional and sheltered, but she clearly watches TV (not all of it '70s repeats) and reads the papers. She might have a bit of a subconscious idea that gay men are likely to be screaming queens, and God knows Dillon would tend to confirm that prejudice, but she never said anything about Jerzy - a classic Straight Gay - being at all strange.

She's classically book-smart - "books" with her stretching to include the results of Google searches - but sometimes that works. She clearly gets it that gay people are, well, people too. Though if she has to deal with many more of Dillon's troubles, and they get any more technical, her Google searches may get a bit strange.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.