Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

10-02-15 A quality book for you

Post by Giz »

themacnut

Re: 10-02-15 A quality book for you

Post by themacnut »

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby. You should really just. Stop. Talking.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that she might actually do that, very soon - and turn her back and put the light out. Because this conversation isn't going anywhere she wants to be; she's blocking the simple reveal that she does have a libido far too desperately. Which is sad, because it will make the eventual admission far more painful than it needs to be for her. If she just said "Yes, I like it, it's a guilty pleasure, now can we leave it there?", she'd be fine. But as it is, she's going to drag this forever, and feel stupid and humiliated when her defence collapses.

If she does shut things down for the night, I suspect that we'll get another dream sequence; that'd be a quick way to dig some stuff out of Ruby's back-story, and also to reveal it to Dillon. Actually, if she blathers a bit in her sleep, it might give Dillon some information that he might otherwise have to dig for about three volumes to get. Conversely, if these two keep talking, Ruby might just explode, and dump a whole load of family-related stuff on Dillon that might leave him feeling for the first time in his life that he's suffered Too Much Information.

Dumb line for Dillon to deliver, that could get him two or three panels of very painful wall of text from Ruby: "There's nothing wrong with liking sex, Ruby. It makes Amber happy enough."

(And now I really wish that this comic appeared a little more often than twice a week. This particular scene is being played out at a reasonable pace, with jokes, which should be fine - but it means that the wait to find out how the characterisation actually goes rather painfully long.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

[Achmed]
STOP TOUCHING ME!
[/Achmed]

Also, Sirius has risen, and De Nile is really at the flood stage now.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Motorcycle

Post by Motorcycle »

Never did like this particular thing writers use: Having someone keep desperately denying something completely obvious when everyone can see it & people just go along. For once, I wish someone would just say, "Cut the crap. It's plain as day you ________." This time is funny, but I still wish didn't have to go through it since, as Spindrift mentioned, it draws things out. A lot.
It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lot of people.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Ruby should go with the "I read Playboy for the articles" claim. Similarly she should claim she read the books because she liked the drama, but then stopped when everything got hot and heavy.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

=)) Oh my, this must the funniest strip in a while in SDB !
I just love how the conversation unravels. Does...Does Dillon actually use maieutucs here ? :-o
And his face in the last panel shows that he enjoys a bit too much screwing Ruby's mind. But I admit I'd do the same, seems so easy ! It's like putting some money in a juke-box. ;))
Don Alexander wrote:[Achmed]
STOP TOUCHING ME!
[/Achmed]

Also, Sirius has risen, and De Nile is really at the flood stage now.
Errr... Whut ? I didn't understand anything. :|

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

The level of denial is strong with Ruby. :)) At least now Dillon is fully aware. He could keep pressing the issue but it looks like it will get him nowhere fast.

Ruby is cute when she is flustered but man I think she will explode if Dillon keeps at this.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Ruby needs to just cut it out...but I get a feeling that she's scared to admit to liking this because it exposes her earlier behavior with Dillon and whats'isname kissing.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

@Art That might be Dillon's next line of questioning, and that could possibly push her over the edge.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

By the way, Ruby needs to go get herself a large glass of water. She's losing so much sweat there that she'll end this conversation dehydrated if she's not careful.
Motorcycle wrote:Never did like this particular thing writers use: Having someone keep desperately denying something completely obvious when everyone can see it & people just go along. For once, I wish someone would just say, "Cut the crap. It's plain as day you ________."
Well, Dillon could claim that he's showing Ruby that any answer except the honest truth simply doesn't work. But yes, I agree.

The irony is that if and when Dillon simply forces Ruby to acknowledge that she has some sexual emotions, the conversation will get a lot more interesting, for him and the readers. At the moment, this is the kind of teasing that teeters on the edge of bullying.
brasca wrote:Ruby should go with the "I read Playboy for the articles" claim. Similarly she should claim she read the books because she liked the drama, but then stopped when everything got hot and heavy.
That would work. Alternatively, she could always resort to something close to the truth; "Okay, I have those feelings. Reading that booked helped me get things out of my system without making an idiot of myself with some unreliable man - unlike you and Amber."

But Ruby is stubborn. It's part of her charm, but sticking to her first reaction is doing her no good here.
Bambikles wrote:Does Dillon actually use maieutucs here ?
I had to look that one up. I guess that the answer is yes - but remember that Dillon is an actor. I doubt that he learned his craft through simply being lectured.
FlashD81 wrote:That might be Dillon's next line of questioning, and that could possibly push her over the edge.
He may not know it, but Dillon doesn't actually want to push Ruby over the edge. She's actually been quite polite to him up until now, in her own way. But she's capable of a lot of anger, as Amber knows, and she's seen the inside of Dillon's head. She may never actually really lose it with him, but if she does, she could say some really very hurtful things.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Bambikles wrote:Does Dillon actually use maieutics here ? :-o
Don Alexander wrote:Also, Sirius has risen, and De Nile is really at the flood stage now.
Errr... Whut ? I didn't understand anything. :|
So weird. You first use a word I've never even heard of, and then you profess a complete lack of knowledge. ;) I had originally planned to just rise "Sirius has risen." and see if anyone got it... Now, I guess, even with the added sentence, the reference is still too obscure...

From Wikipedia:

"Sirius is also known colloquially as the "Dog Star", reflecting its prominence in its constellation, Canis Major (Greater Dog). The heliacal rising of Sirius marked the flooding of the Nile in Ancient Egypt and the "dog days" of summer for the ancient Greeks, [...]."

(Emphasis mine)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

=))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:"Sirius is also known colloquially as the "Dog Star", reflecting its prominence in its constellation, Canis Major (Greater Dog). The heliacal rising of Sirius marked the flooding of the Nile in Ancient Egypt and the "dog days" of summer for the ancient Greeks, [...]."
And De Nile isn't just a river in Africa. Though inflicting English puns on Bambikles seems a bit cruel.

However, Achmed remains unexplained.
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Artemisia wrote:Ruby needs to just cut it out...but I get a feeling that she's scared to admit to liking this because it exposes her earlier behavior with Dillon and whats'isname kissing.
That's a good point actually. Might be both.