Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

30-01-15 Your superior talent

Post by Shouri »

Dr. Jamming

Re: 30-01-15 Your superior talent

Post by Dr. Jamming »

Ruby's going a little dark with just how conniving she's being... She's got a lot of pent up frustration. It does feel like a big step up in maturity for Dillon though: honestly assessing someone else's needs and putting them before his own desires. I'm also proud of him for restraining himself/ not jumping into a tizzy at seeing amber and ray kiss. It's a pretty sexy kiss too...

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

dillon's growing up
Yet still, I live...

Falaris

Post by Falaris »

Regret, thy name is Dillon

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER

take that Dillon nyah
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Suffer Dillon.....SUFFFFFFFFFER

Eh....I am not convinced. He does not deserve it this time really. The writers are doing a marvelous job at making ruby nearly as unlikable for me as Dillon was.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

sdb20150130.png
sdb20150130.png (104.75 KiB) Viewed 9536 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

God, I love Ruby. Even when she's boiling with rage and jealousy and frustration, she can get inside Dillon's head. In a mean way this time, unfortunately, but that's life. Now, can she or Dillon divert that intelligence to understanding her own problems?

And it is almost weird how she and Dillon play off each other so well. Poor Amber has more or less been reduced to the status of a plot device in this comic.
Dr. Jamming wrote:Ruby's going a little dark with just how conniving she's being...
Note that Ruby is, in her own eyes, the Good One as well as the Smart One of those two sisters. After all, sexual morality aside, she makes a positive effort to be good, whereas Amber evidently just does whatever she feels like. But now, just as her own libido is being kick-started, she's having her face rubbed in the realisation that being good hasn't got her very much, while sociopaths like Amber and morons like Dillon seem to have all the fun.

It's possible that Ruby will go to a few dark-ish places before she realises that she's stuck with being a good person by nature, and she's just got to suck it up.

("...Not because you meddled with stories. Everyone has a path they got to tread. But because, and I wants you to to understand this prop'ly, after you went I had to be the good one. You had all the fun. An' there's no way I can make you pay for that, Lily, but I'm surely goin' to give it a try ...")

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:God, I love Ruby. Even when she's boiling with rage and jealousy and frustration, she can get inside Dillon's head. In a mean way this time, unfortunately, but that's life. Now, can she or Dillon divert that intelligence to understanding her own problems?

And it is almost weird how she and Dillon play off each other so well. Poor Amber has more or less been reduced to the status of a plot device in this comic.
It would also seem that she has convinced Dillon that her outburst was based on her admiration for his talent and he will focus on that and ignore every other sign and clue. If she can get into other people's heads that easily then she'll be a killer saleswoman.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:It would also seem that she has convinced Dillon that her outburst was based on her admiration for his talent and he will focus on that and ignore every other sign and clue.
I dunno; that wouldn't really explain her frothing anger. Dillon isn't very bright, but he has a bit of social sense, and he's been getting to know Ruby. I suspect that he's picked up that there's something wrong here, and he'll be nosy enough to try and find out what it is. It might take a little while, with distractions along the way, but this may be his chance to make himself useful.
brasca wrote:If she can get into other people's heads that easily then she'll be a killer saleswoman.
Unfortunately, she's not particularly fast. She's analytical; she's been getting to know Dillon, and now that she knows from all too much experience how his mind works, she can push a few buttons.

She'll be a good saleswoman when she learns to generalise and think on her feet. The print book bonus strip shows her hitting her limits there - admittedly when she talked her way to light years out of her comfort zone. I do want to see a repeat of that scene in volume 2 or 3, though, with a Ruby who can handle the situation.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

There's "defeat" written all over Ruby's face in the last panel. This and her pose maid me laugh much more than Dillon's tear (which made me 8-| )
First-panel Ruby still worries me. Can't help but be afraid for her sanity if she doesn't quickly find a way to release her libido. We don't know if she masturbates or not (I'd say probably not), but that would a good start. :-?
Spidrift wrote:
Dr. Jamming wrote:Ruby's going a little dark with just how conniving she's being...
Note that Ruby is, in her own eyes, the Good One
It's dangerous to assume you're the good one. Complacency always lurks at you, and before you notice, you have become the Knight Templar trope.
she's having her face rubbed in the realisation that being good hasn't got her very much, while sociopaths like Amber and morons like Dillon seem to have all the fun.
Ouuuh, sociopaths ? Is it Ruby's opinion or yours ? Cos' it's a bit extreme.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:There's "defeat" written all over Ruby's face in the last panel.
I read it as more subtle than just "defeat". It's the expression of a woman who's lost this round, but who's damn well taking someone else down with her. A certain jaundiced snarkiness; "You think I don't know that you're hurting too?".
Bambikles wrote:Ouuuh, sociopaths ? Is it Ruby's opinion or yours ? Cos' it's a bit extreme.
Ruby's, of course, and it's a term that even she would only use in a dark and angry moment. (I quite like Amber, albeit that I want to yell at her to try and understand people outside her tight weird little world.) But from Ruby's point of view - well, what has Amber ever done that she can respect?
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:God, I love Ruby.
[Dothraki]
It is known.
[/Dothraki]
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:It's dangerous to assume you're the good one.
Actually, Ruby doesn't assume; she actively works at it. She's not even all that habitually judgmental. Anybody with a tendency to sanctimoniousness would have told Dillon that his problems were his own damn fault, but Ruby actually tries to help him.

(Yes, she judges Amber. She has specific reasons there.)

Now - is Amber going to let slip at any point where she spent last night? Because the way things are going, that might just break Dillon - or at least, leave Ruby having to apply another set of emotional bandages. Bonus points if she says something about Amber's perpetual lack of consideration while doing so.

(Hmm. Might both Ruby and Dillon jump to the conclusion that Amber was with Zii? And will Ruby let slip the rather tricky fact that she now knows that Amber and Zii have a sexual history?)

Oh yes, and credit to the art team; Ruby's facial expressions are bang on the nail this time. Intense, but realistic.
---------
Spidrift

Waker

Post by Waker »

It seems like Ray is having some difficulty reaching Amber there in the third panel. Joking aside, the position they are holding look a little odd to me. It looks like Ray has his left shoulder lowered a bit and is holding Amber at his side, since her left breast seems to be pressing in on the middle of his chest.