Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 30-12-14 I got you a gift

Post by Azrael »

In which Ruby is hoist by her own petard. :p
sdb20141230.png
sdb20141230.png (115.94 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

dillon's got some character development! dillon's got some character development!
Yet still, I live...

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

pssst Ruby...................

the truth shall set you free

and now one of 2 things

Ray is straight and demands to have Ruby as his practice partner

or Ray is bi or gay, and happily perches himself to Dill and say COOOOL! hot stuff
ImageImage

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Poor Ruby no more live-action Yaoi for her.

And it's nice to see Dillon undergoing meaningful character development. If only Gary would undergo the same but I've accepted that Gary is the unchanging constant among these fictional characters in this fictional universe.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Masterful, Ruby, masterful.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She's learning to lie a little more smoothly, to be sure. And she's just learned that doing the right thing can actually be less fun. One might question the lesson here, but, well, the Ma3 universe isn't about morals.

So the next question is whether Dillon will actually carry through on this resolution, and if so, whether Ray responds in an unexpected fashion. I still don't think he's gay, but he might, say, show his respect for an old friend, and his broad-mindedness, by letting Dillon demonstrate kissing on him again.

Alternatively, Ruby may decide to save Dillon from the discomfort of coming out to Ray, at least until he's psyched himself up better, by jumping in accepting Ray's suggestion that she kiss Dillon. As I've said before, she could have her own reasons for doing so, and she's made it clear that she doesn't regard Dillon as threatening by now. Actually, with that suggestion sitting around like Chekhov's Gun, I might bet on this as the likeliest option.

Also - Ruby's facial expressions are running through a positive library. Now that she's not gurning and grimacing so much, she's giving Giz the chance for a real artistic workout.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

:)) poor Ruby, and also :ymapplause: for Dillon.

These two are progressing will it seems. Ruby might not get her live Yaoi anymore but this is better for Dillon.

I'm banking on Ray being OK with Dillon being gay. If that is because Ray is a good guy or that he is bi we may not see.

BTW I feel Ruby bought herself a little time in this strip. Eventually the truth will come out but I'm guessing by then she will be... accepting of it.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She not only bought herself some time, she probably defused the main part of her potential problem. Even if and when Dillon registers that she was evidently reading that book, well, what can he say? Teasing or taunting someone over a gift they just gave you would surely be too low, even for him.

Sure, he'll probably eventually work out that Ruby has developed an interest in yaoi, and most likely comment on the fact, which will in turn embarrass her - but it'll be containable embarrassment, and frankly necessary. She does need to acknowledge that she's got a working libido. The yaoi is a way she's working up to that, relatively safely, and having Dillon recommend a few more titles wouldn't kill her.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Hig Hirtenflurst

Post by Hig Hirtenflurst »

Spidrift wrote:and having Dillon recommend a few more titles wouldn't kill her.
I initially read this as "a few more titties" until I started wondering why Dillon would do such a thing. Stupid glasses.

I actually thought Dillon was trolling her about the yaoi shelf back when he left and expecting to catch Ruby reading them when he got home.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

That's too subtle for most characters in this universe, and certainly soo subtle for Dillon. Anyway, he's an idiot and perfectly capable of tactless teasing, but he's not generally malicious; he might well hurt Ruby accidentally, but he wouldn't set her up deliberately to be hurt.

No, frankly, I reckon the only reason he mentioned the yaoi shelf was to set up this plotline. It was narrative necessity, not plausible in-character behaviour.
---------
Spidrift

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

OMG - She's going to become his Zii replacement, and he'll actually say so to her. "You remind me of an old friend ...", and then the fun begins..,
PIXIE MEL!!!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

He hasn't even realised that she likes yaoi yet; he decided a while back that she was too sweetly innocent, and hasn''t yet revised that assumption. And anyway, Dillon probably assumes that any woman who isn't sweetly innocent likes yaoi (because hey, women like hot guys, right!), so doing so doesn't make any two women particularly similar.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

zaprzapb wrote:Poor Ruby no more live-action Yaoi for her.
And she lost the book she was reading too although she can probably sneak in and read that later. Say what you will of her repression, but at least she has more self control than another yaoi reader we know.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Given that the bookshelf is clearly in the shared area of the apartment, this is probably pretty much what she had planned all along. Of course, her plans are complicated by all the massive doublethink she's been imposing on herself.
---------
Spidrift