Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

29-11-14 Flawless

Post by Shouri »

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 29-11-14 Flawless

Post by Azrael »

Okay, I heard Rudy's last thought bubble in Shao Khan's voice. :))
sdb20141129.png
sdb20141129.png (121.25 KiB) Viewed 10056 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

body language and "Freudian slips" are increasing chances that Ray likes Dill, and next strip might be Ruby interrupting them unintentionally, and making all 3 frustrated soon after
ImageImage

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

SO I guess Dillon's getting what he wants after all. Dammit.

It's kinda strange to be reading a story where I often find myself rooting against the main protagonist...
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But one is used to it by now with this one.

As for Dillon - he may be getting what he wants, but I can't see that he's getting much that'll be good for him in any longer term. He's likely to drive himself to frustration, getting passionate snogs with a guy he can never actually have - and if Ray ever finds out what's really going on here, Dillon will probably lose an old friendship. In other words, as Ruby will be able to tell him if and when she gets over her current hormonal high, he's his own worst enemy, as usual.

Talking of which, we have another addition to the gallery of Ruby facial expressions.

Oh, and panel 1 scotches any theories about Ray being actively gay. It's still just possible that he's deeply in the closet, but I'm not buying it.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:But one is used to it by now with this one.

As for Dillon - he may be getting what he wants, but I can't see that he's getting much that'll be good for him in any longer term. He's likely to drive himself to frustration, getting passionate snogs with a guy he can never actually have - and if Ray ever finds out what's really going on here, Dillon will probably lose an old friendship. In other words, as Ruby will be able to tell him if and when she gets over her current hormonal high, he's his own worst enemy, as usual.
Could be consequences for Ruby getting too much of what she wants especially if she's caught spying.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The worst that Ruby can get, really, is embarrassment - and she should be used to that by now. The girl got troubles, and she's on a learning curve, but most of what she's learning is that she doesn't actually have things that, at heart, she wants. Hence, she can't lose much - except for her dignity, which is why "Ruby gets embarrassed" sometimes seems like an overly-repeated joke.

Well, in principle, she could lose Dillon's friendship - but she doesn't think she wants that. Or the situation between her and Amber could go from low-key bad to overtly rancid, but it's hard to see where the plot could go from there. Or she could get chucked out of the apartment or feel obliged to leave - but that just wipes a chunk of the comic's basic setup, which would be silly.

No, odds are that all that happens here is that Ruby gives her presence away, maybe leading to her becoming a confused test subject for Ray's acting practice. Or she remains hidden, then gives away to Dillon that she was watching. That is, "Ruby gets embarrassed" again.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: As for Dillon - he may be getting what he wants, but I can't see that he's getting much that'll be good for him in any longer term. He's likely to drive himself to frustration, getting passionate snogs with a guy he can never actually have - and if Ray ever finds out what's really going on here, Dillon will probably lose an old friendship. In other words, as Ruby will be able to tell him if and when she gets over her current hormonal high, he's his own worst enemy, as usual.
The only problem with that is Ruby apparently thinks Ray is an old boyfriend of Dillon's. She has no idea, at the moment anyway, that Ray is most likely completely heterosexual and is only practicing for an acting role - a role where he'll be kissing a woman no less. In fact, this may be another mental hurdle for her to get over; "How can a heterosexual guy kiss another guy as practice for kissing a woman???" 8-} :-T
Spidrift wrote:Oh, and panel 1 scotches any theories about Ray being actively gay. It's still just possible that he's deeply in the closet, but I'm not buying it.
Me neither. So the only other possibilities are "frustrated Nice Guy (TM)" (with slightly better social skills than Gary or Andy) or he's so picky about the women he'll have sex with that he goes years between girlfriends. Hopefully we'll find out which one it is soon.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Razmos

Post by Razmos »

Dillon sure loves busting out that wig doesn't he?
Also Ruby's face is so funny in that last panel.

This can only end badly for Dillon, in my opinion. Having had feelings for Ray for so long and it not being requited, to then go to.. whatever this situation is. Yeah he's finally getting to kiss the man of his dreams (the guy who seemingly got him into THAT type (Gary, Jerzy)) but it will only be a matter of time before he wants... more. And Ray likely won't deliver.

Ray does seem to want that kiss in the last panel though, still, I can see his possible closeted nature being a huge problem for the future.

I'm assuming Jerzy is going to come back at some point right?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Anything that would put the guy more at ease and allow him to make out with them with less protest (Dillon's creepy that way).

And Ray wanted that kiss? The way the first three panels are drawn, that last panel gives me the impression that Ray is forcing himself to get the part over and done with. The only ones who seem to be enjoying it are Dillon and Ruby.
wiseguy wrote:body language and "Freudian slips" are increasing chances that Ray likes Dill, and next strip might be Ruby interrupting them unintentionally, and making all 3 frustrated soon after
Body language? He's drawn to look rather nervous and the dialogue supports this. What are you seeing that hints otherwise?

And what Freudian slip? Ray almost calling Dillon by his name instead of Andrea (the character he's portraying?)

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's a common flub that happens during rehearsals if the one who makes the flub is nervous (in this case, the slip is even more likely to happen, given the one filling the female role is actually male. Add that fact to the fact that Ray is clearly nervous; it isn't surprising he slipped up on the name).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

If anything I think Ray is feeling confused during his reading. He might be in the closet bi but I no longer believe he is higher on the scale than that. When Dillon pulls out the charm he can (far too often) get what he wants.

Meanwhile Ruby is in heaven watching all of this go on. Aside from Amber suddenly getting home I think the only way this is interrupted is by Minew calling for Ruby's attention.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:The only problem with that is Ruby apparently thinks Ray is an old boyfriend of Dillon's. She has no idea, at the moment anyway, that Ray is most likely completely heterosexual and is only practicing for an acting role - a role where he'll be kissing a woman no less.
Ruby hasn't heard (or didn't listen to) the verbal exchanges between the two guys, no. But it's highly likely that she'll find out, sooner or later - and for all her inexperience, we know that she's not stupid about human nature. She'll spot this as Dillon being slimy or stupid.
In fact, this may be another mental hurdle for her to get over; "How can a heterosexual guy kiss another guy as practice for kissing a woman???"
Again, naive and inexperienced isn't the same as dumb. She understands what acting is. Heck, she put on a pretty good act herself as Rudy - and diving into men's toilets and defending a "girlfriend" against male advances aren't things that Ruby would easily do.
Razmos wrote:Ray does seem to want that kiss in the last panel though, still, I can see his possible closeted nature being a huge problem for the future.
I see that as Ray being really committed to his acting ambitions. He wants to be good at the craft, he's come here for lessons - it's a weird situation that he doesn't entirely like, but he's taken a drink and a deep breath, and now he's damn well going for it. Give the guy credit; he's following through on a commitment.
---------
Spidrift

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Ruby is going to start "double-clicking the mouse" isn't she? :))

leftturnonly

Post by leftturnonly »

Azrael wrote:Okay, I heard Rudy's last thought bubble in Shao Khan's voice. :))
Outstanding!

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Am I the only to find Ray a bit too enthusiastic in the penultimate panel to really be 100% straight ?