Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

31-10-14 Poor twisted freaks

Post by Shouri »

wiseguy

Re: 31-10-14 Poor twisted freaks

Post by wiseguy »

poor Ruby, she might have to go to a "craiglist type" of site to see if someone local has that copy for sale TODAY..........(the only issue is that it might be Zii)
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah right. Simple solution, no Zii required. And Ruby can get her complete fix and find out what happens, but is going to have to admit to Dillon that she damaged the old copy of the book. She may try that baroque "accidental spillage" story, but we know how well she can sustain a lie - and so does she by now, so she may try something different, like honesty.

Meanwhile, Jung preserves his cool and makes a sale - and possibly acquires a regular customer, because he never actually calls Ruby on a lie.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Junghan really is the best ! :))

brasca

Post by brasca »

wiseguy wrote:poor Ruby, she might have to go to a "craiglist type" of site to see if someone local has that copy for sale TODAY..........(the only issue is that it might be Zii)
Either that or it is for sale, but due to limited quantities is beyond her price range.

Either way Jung can spot an addict.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Too complicated. Ruby can convince herself that she's solved her problem now; she's got the book, so she could find out how the story ends if she was interested (which of course she isn't), and she can return it to Dillon with an apology for the total accident which caused her to damage a book on his shelf (which she wasn't interested in, at all). She may actually try that "the book fell off the shelf and I spilled grape juice on it in shock at the appalling contents" story she composed a few strips ago, but given Dillon's proven forensic brilliance at extracting the truth from her, she may try something different. She might just put the new book on the shelf and hope that Dillon is too confused to notice the different binding.

The interesting question is how she can justify to herself accepting Jung's upcoming offer to set up a pull list for her friend.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

After I finished this, I said, out loud, "Jung is the best fucking character."

Because he is.

On the one hand, I wish we could see more of him. On the other hand, I know that characters like this work best in bits. DAMN YOU, LAWS OF WRITING!

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Time for Ruby to just admit it and deal with it.

And yes, Jung is the best character overall.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

ThePonyGuy wrote:After I finished this, I said, out loud, "Jung is the best fucking character."
Jung looks good because he's designed to be cool and a bit snarky, and he can look ironic at the other characters. If we had very much more of him, or more characters like him, this would just be a set of comics like ... well, one or two other Webcomics that I could name, full of would-be cool characters forever trying to be snarky and ironic at each other (and frequently coming across of as tiresome little twerps).

So yes, Jung is a good character, but yes, he definitely works best in restrained doses. Though I don't think that a bit more of him - say, about twice as much - would hurt.

Uh-oh. I just looked up the publication history of Embracing Love on Wikipedia, and it turns out that it was the original Japanese publisher who went toes up, but that in turn meant that the license for the English translation was withdrawn, and it doesn't look like that's ever been renegotiated.

So, as I understand this, and assuming that Giz and Shouri are following reality here, the new edition which Ruby has just snatched up must be a Japanese version. Oh dear; hard to follow that plot now...

Which suggests various possible plot twists. For one, Ruby is going to have to go back to apologising to Dillon. But she's also going to have to get a translation somehow. Jung speaks a bit of Japanese... I can't see Yuki guest-starring in this comic for this purpose... Unless, of course, Ruby reads Japanese. Which could impress Jung a little, and maybe lead into further plots at the shop - but that's a long shot.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Spidrift wrote:
ThePonyGuy wrote:After I finished this, I said, out loud, "Jung is the best fucking character."
Jung looks good because he's designed to be cool and a bit snarky, and he can look ironic at the other characters. If we had very much more of him, or more characters like him, this would just be a set of comics like ... well, one or two other Webcomics that I could name, full of would-be cool characters forever trying to be snarky and ironic at each other (and frequently coming across of as tiresome little twerps).

So yes, Jung is a good character, but yes, he definitely works best in restrained doses. Though I don't think that a bit more of him - say, about twice as much - would hurt.
Well, Dr. Loquacious, are there any more of my posts to which you'd like to apply your abilities?

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

=)) =)) =)) Love this strip.

Ruby tires so hard but her cover here falls apart like wet tissue paper. Especially in that last panel.

Jung has that look of satisfaction in the last panel. :ymapplause: I think he has made a sale. :p
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Assuming the book's in English. If it's following the real-life sequences of events as Spidrift outlined, the book may be in Japanese, and if Ruby doesn't read Japanese, then no sale after all.

And Ruby, according to your own definition, you are a quite the "poor twisted freak" yourself.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

in the web, there is pdfs and similar available, all the way to volume 14 (last one) in English
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Junghan: Coolest cat in town!! B-)
Artemisia wrote:And yes, Jung is the best character overall.
Until he gets a girlfriend! :P
themacnut wrote:And Ruby, according to your own definition, you are a quite the "poor twisted freak" yourself.
No, no, she said "other girls besides herself." Important distinction!! :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I still think it'd be cool for him to be asexual :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"