24-10-14 Replacement copy

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 24-10-14 Replacement copy

Post by Spidrift »

Yes, it's perfectly in character (though I wouldn't have expected the completely hiding from view). But it's that character that needs a little gentle adjustment. Even if everything goes the way she's got her life planned, she's going to be working in an office somewhere. Colleagues are going to be chatting with her about her plans for the evening, dropping the occasional F-bomb when stuff goes wrong, crassly asking about her love life, flirting with her lightly, or gossiping about other colleagues or assorted celebrities. This just isn't a sustainable embarrassment threshold level she's running.

As to the "sheltered" part, by the way, that's an interesting question. If the writers have remembered the line about her parents being doctors, they shouldn't have been too embarrassment-prone themselves. They sent her off to university for three or four years, and then off to the big city; even if they set out to instill some very old-fashioned morals in her, one would hope they gave her some version of The Talk at some point.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

HA! So I guess the online search for a replacement copy failed, and Jung's shop has no online ordering option?

Or is it that Ruby was afraid a delivered package could be intercepted by her roommates, and thus subject her to the embarrassment of having it opened by them (I can see Dillon especially doing that, even if, or especially if, her name was on the package)?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:))

@Spi: If she ever lands an office job, boy is she going to be hated.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

:)) =)) =)) You don't even "see" Ruby in this and I'm still laughing my butt off.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:HA! So I guess the online search for a replacement copy failed, and Jung's shop has no online ordering option?
She was searching online for local comics shops, logically enough. The fastest delivery in the world isn't going to show up in less than twenty-four hours. Unless Canada Post works Sundays, forty-eight is more likely. That's far too long for someone like Ruby to risk discovery. Remember, unless she puts a sticky, damp book back on shelf, there'll be a gap in Dillon's collection. If you removed a book from Ruby's personal shelf, leaving a gap, do you think she wouldn't notice?
Don Alexander wrote:@Spi: If she ever lands an office job, boy is she going to be hated.
She's going to need to adjust. People do that. (I know well-brought-up female engineers who've learned to wield a precision F-bomb strike.) There may be some friction at first, but in principle, Ruby should be able to manage. Remember how she went from "total trauma at the sight of Dillon's butt" to merely "angry at having other people in her shower" in less than three days?

But this capacity for embarrassment is too dangerous. She needs to be able to deal with strangers without the risk of screaming and hiding in a corner at any moment.
FlashD81 wrote:You don't even "see" Ruby in this and I'm still laughing my butt off.
Then how do you know she's there?

(I'd really laugh if the next strip was Ruby walking into the shop and asking Jung why he's selling yaoi material to a seven-year-old child.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Comedic Tropism requires that Jung sell a STACK of these comics to Ruby before she gets away, and she leaves only after setting up a pull list with him.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

We'll know that Jung is good at his job if he looks at Ruby and then carefully and gently points her at the correct shelf without saying a superfluous word. That would probably be the best way to sell her that stack and ensure that she ends up asking for a pull list. If she thinks she's being taunted, she'll run a mile, but left to its own devices, her libido will do everything Jung needs.
---------
Spidrift

Katai

Post by Katai »

This is akin to something out of a Korean horror comic >_>

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

For our next spinoff- Jung and the Comic Book Store...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

CFT

Post by CFT »

So, they teach Metal Gear Solid style "stealth" lessons at business school now? =)) :YMALIEN:
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

If that was the case then shouldn't she haven come in a cardboard box? :p
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

sdb20141024.png
sdb20141024.png (115.77 KiB) Viewed 7823 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

=))

I really hope Ruby is wearing her Rudy costume.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Spidrift wrote:
themacnut wrote:HA! So I guess the online search for a replacement copy failed, and Jung's shop has no online ordering option?
She was searching online for local comics shops, logically enough. The fastest delivery in the world isn't going to show up in less than twenty-four hours. Unless Canada Post works Sundays, forty-eight is more likely.
Canada Post doesn't deliver on Saturdays either. Looong wait, especially with the way time passes in these comics. I'm not sure that I'd want to wait 6-12 months for this to be resolved, in fact I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't because this is probably a very minor plot point in the whole story.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

CFT wrote:So, they teach Metal Gear Solid style "stealth" lessons at business school now?
Personnel Management and Commercial Merger Negotiation courses.
sparky wrote:Canada Post doesn't deliver on Saturdays either.
"Now" in the comic is a Sunday. Presumably, an order placed online for reasonably prompt delivery would be shipped Monday, delivered Tuesday.
---------
Spidrift