Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

21-10-14 You deserve all the flattery

Post by Shouri »

Spidrift

Re: 21-10-14 You deserve all the flattery

Post by Spidrift »

("Strippu"? I guess that's just trivial finger trouble, but I could believe it was some little bit of manga jargon...)

Okay, Ray is straight after all. It's still not clear to me if he knows whether Dillon is gay; if not, Dillon is going to have to come out to him sooner or later - it's not like he does much of a job of concealing his orientation, and other people around him know the truth and are likely to give him away sooner or later. I'd still be puzzled by the idea that Dillon managed to keep this secret from him throughout high school; he seems to have been pretty well established in his Dillon-ish-ness by the time of the heterosexual threesome experiment, which we know was a bust.

However, the main point that strikes me is that, for all his good resolutions, Dillon still hasn't recognised at least one problem with his own behaviour. He still looks happy at the prospect of getting up close and snuggly with a handsome straight guy who he fancies, despite the fact that this is (a) more than a little creepy, (b) a good way to piss off someone like Ray if he works out the truth later (not all men being as stupid as Andy or as compliant as Gary), and (c) basically just taunting and frustrating himself with the unattainable. Presumably, Ruby is going to have to roll her eyes and point out some more truth to him in words of one syllable.

Also, we know that Amber is now on the way to the set, which presumably implies a good chance that she'll meet handsome, straight Ray. Chance of sparks there? Does he know her past work? Would Amber get annoyed if Dillon attempted to block her from another cute guy, even if it's just by his usual passive aggression?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:("Strippu"? I guess that's just trivial finger trouble, but I could believe it was some little bit of manga jargon...)
Not specifically manga. That's Japanese Engrish. Like how "anime" comes from "animation" (apocope). How to say that ? I think a word cannot finish with a conson in Japanese, so they always add a vowel. I guess. Plus add letters confusion betwee "R" and "L": Allistair -> Arystar ; Wendy -> Winry. I also guess this comes from recursive translations through katakana (Japanese syllabary specifically used for foreign words). For exemple élite* -> エリート -> transcripted eriito**

* (borrowed from French in the Meiji era)
** I've always found weird that a rigid hierarchical society like Japan at the dawn of Meiji didn't have a concept of elite and had to borrow it, and from 19th France to bout. :-??

brasca

Post by brasca »

If he isn't going to pursue Ray like he did Gary I suppose that could be a sign of personal growth.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

:)) :ymsigh: I don't know who I should feel more sorry for, Dillon or Ray.

Ray seems to have no clue about Dillon's orientation. If Ray is a cool guy then this will not mater as long as Dillon will be up front and tell Ray that he is Gay... eventually.

Dillon is kidding himself if he thinks he can handle being close to a crush and not acting upon it. If he somehow manages that I will be shocked.

I get the feeling that this will end in tears, sooner or later.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:If he isn't going to pursue Ray like he did Gary I suppose that could be a sign of personal growth.
We just don't know how Dillon will actually handle this. He seems to be sadly accepting that he doesn't have a chance with Ray - but he seemed to sadly accept that he didn't have a chance with Gary, but he still carried on being a pest. Self-control and realism just aren't Dillon's strong suits. He certainly doesn't look like he'll be able to resist taking advantage of those training romantic scenes.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

All Ray, No Gay! :))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Why am I reminded of Sir Ian and Sir Derek...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Just remember, Dillon - if you do kissing practices, you're not going to turn him gay for you.

Side note - for added drama, I wouldn't be surprised if Ray is Nathan's son.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

unlikely, as Ray and Dillon were good high school friends so they probably knew the parents, and if not that, they know each others last names, and dill during high school was in the closet, looks like he came out during college
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Dillon, the eternal optimist.
sdb20141021.png
sdb20141021.png (104.68 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

IONDragonX

Post by IONDragonX »

Fluffy wrote:Side note - for added drama, I wouldn't be surprised if Ray is Nathan's son.
OMG, they even look like father-son! :-o

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

However, Ray and Dillon were clearly good friends in school. I'd be surprised if Dillon never met Ray's parents - and even if he didn't, he'd have known Ray's surname, and surely picked up on Nathan having the same surname as well as a family resemblance. Equally, Nathan would be likely to remember this guy who Ray talked about, even if they didn't ever meet.

So I think any physical resemblance is a coincidence. Giz is an amazing artist, but like most comics artists, she has a set of somewhat standard facial types she tends to fall into sometimes. (Witness Tracy's resemblance to Jacqui.) Anything is possible in these comics, but Ray turning out to be closely related to Nathan would strain my disbelief a bit too far.
---------
Spidrift

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

or, she'd deliberately giving most of dillon's crushes a similar look, because he has a 'type'
Yet still, I live...

leftturnonly

Post by leftturnonly »

Spidrift wrote: So I think any physical resemblance is a coincidence. Giz is an amazing artist, but like most comics artists, she has a set of somewhat standard facial types she tends to fall into sometimes. (Witness Tracy's resemblance to Jacqui.) Anything is possible in these comics, but Ray turning out to be closely related to Nathan would strain my disbelief a bit too far.
From a writing stand-point, it's setting it up to be that way.

On another note however, I always took Dillon to be the type of person that where's his sexuality on his sleeve. For an actor of some importance I'm actually a bit surprised Ray wouldn't already know Dillon is gay.