Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 07-10-14 Neither can I

Post by Azrael »

Hey, Dillon. :ymdevil:
sdb20141007.png
sdb20141007.png (118.03 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

Conversion into full blown fujoshi: 90% complete.
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Oops. No interruption after all. There's more than one way of embarrassing a Ruby.

Trip to the Pixietrix shop indicated, I suspect - buying a new copy there being less embarrassing (and wrong) than leaving a damaged copy on Dillon's shelf, after all. So what are the odds of Zii getting a call from Jung to cover this Sunday?

(Though Ruby meeting Jung could be more subtly fun.)

Good art today, too. Ruby is getting a range of facial expressions that don't depend on her being drawn as a large-mouthed cartoon.
This is where Ruby's normal logical mind will fail. The chances that Dillon would notice a damaged or missing book are low and even if he does he might assume Amber borrowed it without returning. As such Ruby has plenty of time to replace it, but knowing how paranoid she gets of anyone suspecting or knowing her guilty pleasures she'll immediately rush out to find a replacement. Maybe this will take her to Jung's shop although I think there are plenty of other stores in Montreal she could visit and possibly get a job especially if they offer an employee discount. Who knows how crazy and/or embarrassing it will get, but in the end Dillon will probably never notice because Ruby is so much better at embarrassing herself than anyone else.

SilentChaos87

Post by SilentChaos87 »

Ooooh. There ain't no easy way to explain juice stains away!
Tropemaster General
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.
As a gamer I acknowledge and respect those who play for fun. So long as they acknowledge and respect that I also play to win.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:This is where Ruby's normal logical mind will fail. The chances that Dillon would notice a damaged or missing book are low and even if he does he might assume Amber borrowed it without returning.
That's completely the wrong way of looking at it. This is Ruby. She's very moral, tipping over into a guilt complex. Remember, she thought that Andy must have guessed that she took a photograph of herself, two years ago - simply because she felt guilty about it.

Ruby will always try to do the right thing by her own standards, even where it's not important by anyone else's, the chance of being found out is actually zero, and her efforts will make things worse. And this time, she's actually damaged someone else's property, which will definitely matter to her.
Maybe this will take her to Jung's shop although I think there are plenty of other stores in Montreal she could visit and possibly get a job especially if they offer an employee discount.
Rule of comedy and conservation of cast. Of course she'll end up in Jung's shop.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

And over at Pixie Trix, she'll meet Zii...
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

This thread is less than two full pages so far. You really could read it before commenting, you know.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:Though I could start (*spit*) shipping Ruby x Jung or Jung x Rudy at this rate. Frankly, Jung would suit Ruby a lot better than Andy does.
Errr... Somehow, I don't see a geeky basemen-dweller getting along well with someone like Ruby. They may become friends (would be cool) but an item ? Naaaaaa, definitely not happening. Plus his habit of designing fanservicey outfit would probably put Ruby off...

...Now envisioning Ruby in one of this outfit, seducing Junghan in bed, of my... #-o

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I just have a thing about geeky guy/motivated girl pairings. It's personal. Very, very personal.

But at least Jung has a working brain, which I would have thought should be the first thing that Ruby was looking for (if she was looking at all). And basement-dwelling is an economic strategy with him, not a matter of social incompetence; it saves him money. Nor would Ruby disapprove of someone still living with their parents; it looks like hers had to just about throw her out of the house.

The costume-making? Meh, it's a hobby - and at least the guy is good at something. He'd have a job persuading her into a magic girl costume, but if he eventually succeeded - well, she knows at heart that she's got good legs. It might give her a confidence boost.

But I digress into ship. Gah. I'm ashamed of myself.
---------
Spidrift

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Jung's sexual preferences have yet to be confirmed. Or even hinted at, for that matter.

"And I have a right to know! I deserve answers!" /briancranston
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, I'm doodling in the margins here. Not to be taken seriously. Anyway, as I said previously, it'd be even funnier if Jung took an interest in Rudy.

I suspect that Jung is imagined as basically asexual by the writers - though personally, I've known one or two Jung-like geeks who appeared to me to be asexual right up to the day they got engaged. I have an alternate piece of future-headcanon in which Gary and Zii walk into the comics shop one day and find Jung kissing a pleasantly cute geek girl, who heads out the door with a "See you later, tiger". And when Gary and Zii finish colliding with the display racks, Jung just looks at them and says "Not everyone has to make a big drama of it, you know".
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Ruby should also remember to get more of the purple stuff. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:This is where Ruby's normal logical mind will fail. The chances that Dillon would notice a damaged or missing book are low and even if he does he might assume Amber borrowed it without returning.
That's completely the wrong way of looking at it. This is Ruby. She's very moral, tipping over into a guilt complex. Remember, she thought that Andy must have guessed that she took a photograph of herself, two years ago - simply because she felt guilty about it.

Ruby will always try to do the right thing by her own standards, even where it's not important by anyone else's, the chance of being found out is actually zero, and her efforts will make things worse. And this time, she's actually damaged someone else's property, which will definitely matter to her.
Of course she'll do the right thing. That's why she wouldn't lie about damaging it, but its paranoia and embarrassment over her guilty pleasures that will cloud her better judgment which is that Dillon is unlikely to notice and she has plenty of time to replace it. Instead she will rush out the door to find a copy without having time to plan or research anything. This is someone who only recently discovered yaoi so she has no idea where to find it.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:Maybe this will take her to Jung's shop although I think there are plenty of other stores in Montreal she could visit and possibly get a job especially if they offer an employee discount.
Rule of comedy and conservation of cast. Of course she'll end up in Jung's shop.
Perhaps. Jung isn't crucial to the current plot running in Menage a 3 so a crossover doesn't have to be carefully coordinated, but having additional characters in another strip means greater flexibility. I will agree that Jung and Ruby could be a better match, but he's more likely to be her new boss than boyfriend. Working at Jung's shop would give her easier access to yaoi and while I could see her balking at wearing one of Jung's costumes she might be willing if she can wear a mask to conceal her identity.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Of course she'll do the right thing. That's why she wouldn't lie about damaging it, but its paranoia and embarrassment over her guilty pleasures that will cloud her better judgment which is that Dillon is unlikely to notice and she has plenty of time to replace it.
It's now sticky and damp, so replacing it on the shelves would be wrong. And she'd notice if something of hers was missing from a shelf, so she'll assume that Dillon would too. She's probably wrong in that, but I can understand why she'd not want to take the risk. She is going to be embarrassed over her interest in yaoi, and while Dillon might not set out to really hurt her, he's not quiet and he's not tactful. Once he has evidence that she's interested in this stuff, he'll talk about it loudly, offer her first sight of his new purchases, and start explaining where to get the good stuff. Worse, he'll do all that in front of Amber, and Ruby seems quite concerned to preserve a certain ... sense of difference there.

Anyway, she's done a bad thing. She's damaged somebody else's property. Ruby runs on guilt more than shame; whether anyone else knows what she's done ultimately doesn't matter. She can ameliorate that sin, a bit, by replacing the book; the sooner she does so, the less crushing guilt she'll feel.
brasca wrote:Instead she will rush out the door to find a copy without having time to plan or research anything. This is someone who only recently discovered yaoi so she has no idea where to find it.
I think you underestimate her a little there; she won't rush without deciding where to rush to. And where to find what she needs is trivial; she knows the relevant jargon now, and she has a point in Google-Fu. Five seconds looking up "yaoi manga shops Montreal" or just "comics shops Montreal" will get her a map. Heck, she uses a smartphone; she could do that while rushing out the door.
brasca wrote:Jung isn't crucial to the current plot running in Menage a 3 so a crossover doesn't have to be carefully coordinated, but having additional characters in another strip means greater flexibility.
I don't see any particular chance of her getting a job in the shop; she's more ambitious than that, and until such time as the band gets big and Zii quits, the place is fully staffed with counter candy and Jung doesn't have a recruitment budget. No, I think that we've got basically a one-off scene coming up (with the option for repeats later), which removes the problem of crossover synchronisation. Jung will probably be in the shop, if it's open; Zii may be, especially if Jung has called in the favour he did her last night to get some cover. Any collision will just take a few minutes out of those various timelines. And all the stuff about Jung notwithstanding, it's a Ruby/Zii meeting that has the most obvious prospects for getting interesting.

But we're building a whole tower on very thin foundations here. It's still possible that this is a one-off gag strip, and the question of the sticky comic will be forgotten by Friday.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:Of course she'll do the right thing. That's why she wouldn't lie about damaging it, but its paranoia and embarrassment over her guilty pleasures that will cloud her better judgment which is that Dillon is unlikely to notice and she has plenty of time to replace it.
It's now sticky and damp, so replacing it on the shelves would be wrong.
By replace I mean she will go out and purchase a new copy. I thought that was implied in supposing her wacky impromptu errand. Sorry if it wasn't.
Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:Jung isn't crucial to the current plot running in Menage a 3 so a crossover doesn't have to be carefully coordinated, but having additional characters in another strip means greater flexibility.
I don't see any particular chance of her getting a job in the shop; she's more ambitious than that, and until such time as the band gets big and Zii quits, the place is fully staffed with counter candy and Jung doesn't have a recruitment budget. No, I think that we've got basically a one-off scene coming up (with the option for repeats later), which removes the problem of crossover synchronisation. Jung will probably be in the shop, if it's open; Zii may be, especially if Jung has called in the favour he did her last night to get some cover. Any collision will just take a few minutes out of those various timelines. And all the stuff about Jung notwithstanding, it's a Ruby/Zii meeting that has the most obvious prospects for getting interesting.
How do you know what the management structure of Jung's store is? He may have a need for another employee since aside from counter candy Zii isn't that reliable and it's possible that Ruby could take a part time job on a temporary basis until she gets something permanent that she's seeking or so she'll tell herself. Moreover, Zii likely to be returning home than over to Jung's. What reason would she have to go there? There was over a year between Jung's appearance in Menage a 3 so having him in this crossover strip as Ruby's boss would allow for more appearances.

Quote fixed. The DAMNed