Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

30-09-14 Talk to my agent

Post by Giz »

brasca

Re: 30-09-14 Talk to my agent

Post by brasca »

It would seem that both Dillon's big and little head might want to up Nathan on his offer.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I think Dillion's going to learn he's going to lose some roles if he doesn't play ball.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Looks like Dillon managed to keep it in his pants (well.. at least in figure of speech) and stand firm... B-)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

what are the writers trying to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make most of us proud of Dillon?
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Dillon may be holding out, but Nathan certainly knows how to push his buttons. (Not that they're exactly hard to find.) I am now reminded of Sonya's pursuit of Zii...

But Dillon as a gay crime-fighter? I know that he seems to be a pretty good method actor, but the effort required to make him convincingly grim and dangerous would surely be somewhat epic.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Why should every crime-fighter look "grim and dangerous" ? Could be an interesting concept to have an innocuous looking crime-fighter. :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Innocuous? Try camp! :P

Anyway: Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!!
JoybuzzerX wrote:I think Dillion's going to learn he's going to lose some roles if he doesn't play ball.
FTFY variants:

"...if he doesn't play with balls."

"...if he doesn't let his balls be played with."
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:Why should every crime-fighter look "grim and dangerous" ? Could be an interesting concept to have an innocuous looking crime-fighter.
Can you really imagine Nathan's projects doing subtlety? Or for that matter, Dillon wanting to do subtlety? And I have a nasty feeling that an innocuous crime-fighter whose specific schtick is that he's gay is likely to come out as some kind of lisping psycho.

Anyway, if you call a character a "crime-fighter", that tends to imply that he's going to be all grim and/or dangerous. A less surly character who fights crime tends to be labelled a "detective" or something.

But aren't there some unfortunate implications in this strip, with the idea that Dillon would be especially interested in playing a gay role, and that gay roles should be played by gay actors? After all, we saw in strip #1 that Dillon can play straight guys - and why should straight actors be at an implied disadvantage in casting against someone who happens to share the character's sexual tastes?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

since it is Nathan..................... he would want an actual gay actor in order to have "fun with him"

is not so much about what roles the actors would be fine doing, but about which actors would be fine with the "needs and wants" of Nathan
ImageImage

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

I commend Dillon for sticking to his guns and not giving in to Nathan so easily. Thanks to Ruby, he's realized just the kind of person Nathan is and he's keeping his eyes open, not letting himself get suckered into sex again.

But I re-iterate how shaking people like Nathan is like getting gum off your shoe. Satisfying to do, but you can't to get rid of it all at once. Bits of it cling to you for a while until it's all gone. Nathan will be back, and who knows what, or who, he'll try to do when we see him next.

And seriously, "my favorite men's resort"?. This implies he's been to a few before deciding it was his favorite. Now I understand the idea of a "men's resort" might be just that, a resort for men and not gay men specifically. But I'd assume it's the latter considering who's saying it.

I wonder if his Nathan's wife has caught on to his "experimenting" at all?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I wouldn't be surprised if she knows all about it, but looks the other way to avoid rocking the very comfortable boat she's in. Sure she could get half in the divorce, but it'd still be only half (or less) of what she'd get if she stayed. And I'm sure she'd only be staying for the money, power and prestige she has being married to a wealthy and powerful man like Nathan - love would have nothing to do with it.

As for Dillon, I'm surprised by the strength of will he's demonstrated so far. But let's see how long it lasts, especially if his career starts being threatened by his refusal of Nathan's advances.
Spidrift wrote: But aren't there some unfortunate implications in this strip, with the idea that Dillon would be especially interested in playing a gay role, and that gay roles should be played by gay actors?
It isn't about whether the actor is gay or not, it's whether said actor would be willing to do Nathan, like wiseguy said. Which is why Nathan offered the role to Dillon.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Bambikles wrote:Why should every crime-fighter look "grim and dangerous" ? Could be an interesting concept to have an innocuous looking crime-fighter.
Can you really imagine Nathan's projects doing subtlety? Or for that matter, Dillon wanting to do subtlety? And I have a nasty feeling that an innocuous crime-fighter whose specific schtick is that he's gay is likely to come out as some kind of lisping psycho.

Anyway, if you call a character a "crime-fighter", that tends to imply that he's going to be all grim and/or dangerous. A less surly character who fights crime tends to be labelled a "detective" or something.

But aren't there some unfortunate implications in this strip, with the idea that Dillon would be especially interested in playing a gay role, and that gay roles should be played by gay actors? After all, we saw in strip #1 that Dillon can play straight guys - and why should straight actors be at an implied disadvantage in casting against someone who happens to share the character's sexual tastes?
Dillion would likely want the role whether it was a gay crime fighter or not. The fact that the crime is gay may just make Dillion want the role more (or at least think he deserves the role more).

As for the implications...I'd say that's standard Hollywood and possibly even fandom thinking. Matt Bohmer wasn't cast as Mr Grey in 50 Shades because he's gay. They (those in charge of casting) didn't think audiences would buy that Matt was Mr Grey because of this fact. I thought this was terrible thinking until I happened across a Robot Chicken skit where they have Sulu implying he's gay because George is gay and then started to wonder if it was things like this why they didn't cast Matt.

As for gay crime fighter, when used in this comic, I imagined less grim and very much campy movie.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Spidrift wrote:Dillon may be holding out, but Nathan certainly knows how to push his buttons. (Not that they're exactly hard to find.) I am now reminded of Sonya's pursuit of Zii...

But Dillon as a gay crime-fighter? I know that he seems to be a pretty good method actor, but the effort required to make him convincingly grim and dangerous would surely be somewhat epic.
I can see it now actually...a remake of Zorro the Gay Blade...

And that just made me go...today they could get away with more than just hinting at how gay Zorro's cousin was.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Why do I imagine little Dillion with this helium high voice

"Don't fight it, Give into the PASSION YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!'