30-09-14 Talk to my agent

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

JoybuzzerX

Re: 30-09-14 Talk to my agent

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Artemisia wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Dillon may be holding out, but Nathan certainly knows how to push his buttons. (Not that they're exactly hard to find.) I am now reminded of Sonya's pursuit of Zii...

But Dillon as a gay crime-fighter? I know that he seems to be a pretty good method actor, but the effort required to make him convincingly grim and dangerous would surely be somewhat epic.
I can see it now actually...a remake of Zorro the Gay Blade...

And that just made me go...today they could get away with more than just hinting at how gay Zorro's cousin was.
Hinting at just how gay his cousin was? I thought they out right said it. :p Or do you mean, show scenes of him with a guy?
Artemisia wrote:Should a gay actor automatically get a gay role? My answer to that is 'no'. I can name two gay actors who have played straight characters without issue- Neil Patrick Harris and Kristen Vangeness. For that matter, I can name a straight actor who played a gay character- Mark Allen Shepard. Oh wait...amend that to two- William Morgan Shepard also played a gay man. Same character for that matter.

The bigger issue is actually the tendency to cast men as trans women; though that has gone well in some cases. Peter Capaldi's Vera Reynolds in Prime Suspect was quite good. Right now, I think the bigger issue is good representation instead of actors playing particular roles.
I thought Ellen played straight quite well and without issue.

Double post merged, quote tree pruned. The DAMNed

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

True. I can't say I've seen anything she's done lately other than Finding Nemo.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, Dori tends to forget her orientation... :-j
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Artemisia wrote:True. I can't say I've seen anything she's done lately other than Finding Nemo.
I presume that's because she's busy with her talk show.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Ellen had not acted since 2010(voice in the Simpsons) , she did a short film in 2005(but as herself)

last live acting was in 2002 for "the Ellen show"

but she is doing right now the voice over for a new animated movie "Finding Dory", scheduled for release in 2016
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The point still stands, though. There are quite a number of gay actors who have played straight characters and a large number of straight actors who have played gay characters. Sir Derek Jacobi and Sir Ian McKellen both have played straight characters despite being gay...in fact, they rarely play gay characters. The exception being the show Vicious.

Actually, the bigger problem is that it is unlikely that anyone would be making a major movie starring a gay superhero or super spy. Right now, we can't even seem to manage to get a superhero movie with a woman or a black man as the main character. I know that Rupert Everet wanted to play a gay super spy...but that never worked out. Of course, the fact that he looks like a villain doesn't help him much.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Electra, Catwoman, red sonja, lara croft, Aeon Flux, Sheena, supergirl for movies with girls as main character

spawn, hancock, steel, blade, The Meteor Man for black superheroes
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Right now

That being the operative phrase. Though, according to Stan Lee we'll soon be getting a Black Widow and Black Panther movie...though they probably will change the name from Black Panther to something like just Panther.

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

I read an article once about why you won't see a female super-hero movie.
No mask.
Filming Iron Man or Batman movies doesn't require the star to be on set for all of the shooting. Just those scenes when the mask is off. Having to have a pricy actress like Scarlet Johanson on set all the time, because Black Widow doesn't wear a mask becomes cost prohibitive. The alternative is to take a risk on a relative unknown who isn't so pricy as they did in Captain America (despite the mask). Sign the unknown to multiple movies cheap and film away. For some reason (sexism), Hollywood doesn't like to take risks on unknown actresses like they will on unknown actors, and few of the major female superheroes wear masks.
QED
PIXIE MEL!!!

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I'm not sure that is correct, though, especially since Johansson has a lot of screen time in The Avengers and Captain America 2 comparative to the other actors. Plus, they start on the Black Widow movie as soon as Johansson is off maternity leave.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

wiseguy wrote:Electra, Catwoman, red sonja, lara croft, Aeon Flux, Sheena, supergirl for movies with girls as main character

spawn, hancock, steel, blade, The Meteor Man for black superheroes
how many can you name that don't suck? other than the first Blade, of course.
Yet still, I live...

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

electra was okay, not great, but was ok

catwoman not good

red sonja was ok, but kind of weak on the acting

lara croft was ok

aeon flux, have not seen it, but some say is good

Sheena was passable

supergirl was ok, kind of like it

Spawn was kind of ok, but a lil weak

hancock I actually like it

Steel, was a lil weak

Blade was good

meteor man for those who like that kind of movie, was good, I did not like it
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Part of the problem with most of these movies is or was weak writing and acting combined with a relatively unknown comic book series. That said, Marvel has done a fantastic job of laying down groundwork for a Black Widow movie...and a couple of movies with Falcon in the background will mean that people would love to see a solo movie for him. It's why I think that Ant-Man was a bad choice for the next movie given that he's a relative unknown. However, they've managed to create a fairly popular TV show based off of a secondary character in the movies, and they're about to launch another series based off of a female love interest in another. I suspect that they will be able to do the movies.

The issue with a gay superhero movie or a gay super spy movie isn't the US, Canadian or European markets, but rather the problems in China, SE Asia, Russia, Africa and SW Asia. This was brought up when it was suggested that Spiderman could be bisexual.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

one option is to "finish" Stark's iron man as main character, he can continue in Avengers movies and as a "secondary character" for Rhode's Iron patriot movies

and would be great to have Storm movies

and I have heard that they might bring Iron fist and Luke Cage for a movie
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

One suggestion that has been made is to promote Pepper to the main character of her own movie trilogy as well. Marvel Studios (which does not own Spiderman or X-Men) has a lot to work with. In some ways, the best thing for them to do is work off of each movie. Thor comes to an end, work with Sif as a main character, introduce her replacement in those movies so that people get use to that character, and so on. The Avengers can change slightly as needs progress.