Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

16-09-14 A little solitude

Post by Shouri »

brasca

Re: 16-09-14 A little solitude

Post by brasca »

Perhaps it's a good thing Dillon is clueless about certain things. He'd never suspect Ruby to be interested in yaoi which means it can remain a guilty pleasure for the time.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Remember that "embarrass Ruby" is one of the major tropes of this comic. So sooner rather than later, Dillon's going to walk in on Ruby engrossed in one of his yaoi books. Bonus points if she's diddling herself at the time.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

brasca

Post by brasca »

Since this strip is PG-13 it would probably be the former and not the latter and while you are right about the "embarrass Ruby" is a trope so is Dillon's obliviousness. The only reason Dillon knows some of the things that he does is Ruby hates to lie and easily reveals what she knows even if Dillon has no interest. It's more than likely to happen, but if she can keep her mouth shut he would probably conclude that she was organizing his books for greater efficiency.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Am I the only one who wonders if the reason Dillon made sure he mentioned the location of his yaoi collection is that he suspects that Ruby might be interested?

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Of course that's why he mentioned it. Dillon may be oblivious as Gary when it comes to certain aspects of his own life, but when it comes to Ruby's interests and proclivities he tends to be dead-on accurate. Usually much to Ruby's annoyance - and embarrassment.

And Brasca, there is no need from the creative team to be x-rated explicit in showing Ruby pleasuring herself, they only need to suggest or imply that's what she's doing. Remember how they've depicted other sexual situations in this comic.
Last edited by themacnut on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, I think it's perfectly possible that Dillon thought that Ruby might be interested in that stuff (and if she isn't, well then, it's a legitimate warning in itself). The guy's an idiot, but his assumption that other people are always interested in sex can still hit the mark sometimes. Quite often in this setting, in fact.

His stupidity isn't in that line; it's in the bit about Ruby concealing her emotions. Dillon not only doesn't have an introverted bone in his body, he's completely incapable of understanding a classical introvert like Ruby. Admittedly, the breed is rare in that universe - Lavali is the only other likely example I can think of - but Ruby hardly hides it. Dealing with other people is work for her; she can do it, but she really does need time on her own to recharge. And, of course, she doesn't conceal her emotions much; just ask Amber.

It'd be funny if Dillon ever got cast as an introverted character; trying to method-act that would kill him. But no director would be stupid enough to try him.

As to Ruby being interrupted - well, depending how things are going in the other apartment, there might be a chance that it'd be Amber who walks in. Though she might well be too distracted to notice what Ruby was reading.
brasca wrote:He'd never suspect Ruby to be interested in yaoi which means it can remain a guilty pleasure for the time.
The problem with that is that Ruby isn't likely to be good at having guilty pleasures; she'll feel too guilty about them. The stress is likely to get to her.

Meanwhile - trying to read those titles. I think I've got "Only the Ring Finger Knows" (pardon?), "Private Teachers", "Take This Man", "<something> His <something>".
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, the other important question is... Is Dillon really going to go to work?? :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

So if Dillon has work, why isn't Amber on her way there?

Anyone else think he may be going to confront Nathan?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:So, the other important question is... Is Dillon really going to go to work??
I can't think why not. There's not much that would take him out of the house that he'd bother lying to Ruby about - especially not when he's just told her she'll be helping him with his emotional life. And this would be a lot of messing about to just give Ruby a shot at his library, even if it's occurred to him that would represent a big enough favour. And his story sounds perfectly plausible.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

TheEighth wrote:So if Dillon has work, why isn't Amber on her way there?

Anyone else think he may be going to confront Nathan?
I think Dillon is smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds him. He and Amber know Nathan is sleazy enough to give them an apartment in exchange for them having sex while he watched, but Dillon never seemed to draw the connection that if he was dishonest enough to set up their arrangement that he would also lie about it being normal for heterosexual men to secretly have sex with men and not be gay. He may know better, but it would be stupid of him to disrupt the arrangement since he, Amber, and Ruby would have to find a new place to live.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote:Am I the only one who wonders if the reason Dillon made sure he mentioned the location of his yaoi collection is that he suspects that Ruby might be interested?
This was my thought as well.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Nathan is currently a dead issue. I suggest ignoring posters with bizarre fetishes about middle-aged businessmen.

(And Dillon and Amber have been shown going into work separately before now. They don't always have to be on set together.)
---------
Spidrift

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

This was funny, but if this were as explicit as MA3, Ruby would be naked in the last panel.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Just remember, "Minew" is a French slang term for "pussy"-cat
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast