Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

29-08-14 Oprah never lies

Post by Shouri »

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Re: 14-08-29 Oprah never lies

Post by TheDude »

This is quite sad and terribly funny at the same time. (Which incidentally is one of the things that I like about this comic.)
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Heh. One wonders how much of the story Dillon is conveying to Ruby during the middle two panels of flashback. It's not something that shows him in especially good light itself - especially as Dillon did know that Nathan was married at some points during that relationship.

Anyway, it's nice to see the good head on Ruby's shoulders. She really does have a clue about people, in theory. Though as I've said before, this simultaneously makes her state of denial about her own sexuality look strange and dim, and makes it highly necessary - because once she does decide that she wouldn't mind a relationship with someone, she's likely to be un-comedically sensible about it.

Also - is the weird little lens flare effect on her forehead in panel 4 another of those weird manga conventions? She certainly looks stylised and bizarre in that panel.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

CFT

Post by CFT »

I think it's a vein popping out (not a lens flare) and it indicates annoyance.
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

talantus

Post by talantus »

Yes that is exactly what it is.

Also, ruby winning an argument? Omg the world is gonna end!!!!

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

CFT wrote:I think it's a vein popping out (not a lens flare) and it indicates annoyance.
Thanks.
talantus wrote:Also, ruby winning an argument? Omg the world is gonna end!!!!
Ruby is supposed to be quite bright. She has serious self-awareness problems and some unfortunate hang-ups, which clog that up, but when she's in a position to be objective, she should be capable of stuff like this.

She does seem to have a surprisingly solid theoretical grasp of human sexuality, for someone who avoids the subject like the plague -- but I guess that she watches a lot of TV, and reads a bit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I now wonder if this means that Nathan is indeed going to return at some point but only in this comic not Ma3.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I'll just leave this right here...

Dun dun dunnnnnnn!
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
CFT wrote:I think it's a vein popping out (not a lens flare) and it indicates annoyance.
Thanks.
talantus wrote:Also, ruby winning an argument? Omg the world is gonna end!!!!
Ruby is supposed to be quite bright. She has serious self-awareness problems and some unfortunate hang-ups, which clog that up, but when she's in a position to be objective, she should be capable of stuff like this.

She does seem to have a surprisingly solid theoretical grasp of human sexuality, for someone who avoids the subject like the plague -- but I guess that she watches a lot of TV, and reads a bit.
It seems that way. Her opinion of relationships was not formed in a vacuum. She has a mature clinical understanding of gay sexuality that an experienced gay man lacks and I would guess enough observations of people behaving stupidly even before she moved in with Amber and Dillon. Following Dillon around these last few days only reinforces her conclusions.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

The kinda sad thing was that Nathan probably believed what he telling Dillon himself - in other words the guy was most likely very much in denial about his sexual orientation. That's part of the reason his story sounded believable enough to Dillon.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:
Thanks.
There's a TvTropes page for it. You may also consult this page about Manga Effects with profit, and the Animesque page, given it's not the first time you ask this kind of questions. ;)

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

Now that Dillon knows that his boss isn't as straight as the come, but deeply in denial, this is bound to make things more complicated with him.

I do hope the comic centers on Nathan a bit, I found him interesting back in Ma3. A sleazy producer who uses his position of power to have sex with his workers and cheat on his wife, yeah pretty sure that's been done before. But adding in that he's gay, or bi, and in denial makes him far more interesting. He's so deep in the closet he doesn't even realize he's in denial. Thanks to Oprah he's been able to convince himself that since other guys who identify as straight do what he does, it doesn't make him gay. But he doesn't grasp that what this really means is that those other guys are no longer completely straight.

Personally, I think coming to terms with his sexuality would be good on two levels. One, so he can accept himself for who he is. And two, a sleazy gay, or possibly bi, producer has a lot more room for development and story twists. Should Nathan meet Gary, I could totally see him trying to get Gary into bed with him by threatening Amber and Dillon's careers.

So much potential......
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Ruby for the win! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

It looks like she was able to make a dent in Dillon with that last panel. How much of a dent is yet to be seen. If this leads to some growth for Dillon I'm all for it. :-bd
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

MoonshadowDark

Post by MoonshadowDark »

Ruby, why you gotta be a buzzkill?