Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

26-08-14 They lied

Post by Shouri »

brasca

Re: 26-08-14 They lied

Post by brasca »

Well if they lied then it's not as serious, but I still find it hard to believe that all 27 of them were straight and single before meeting him. However, Dillon seems to go for the type who would cheat so perhaps it's slightly more plausible. While this does redeem Dillon somewhat he is still rather tactless regarding Ruby's insecurity issues. She has enough concerns that whoever she is with would cheat on her with another woman and now it is possible than another man could be involved.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Hmm does Ruby's statement in the last panel means she'll be making definitive plans to move out?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well her short term plan is to get a second bed. Long term would mean getting her own apartment.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

philippos42

Post by philippos42 »

Callback!

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

I guess even Ruby knows that being on the down low is just a more dignified slang for being in closet.
Dillon logic: "They lied about having girlfriends, so they wouldn't lie about their orientation."
Sorry Dilly, as far as we know you didn't seduce any straight dude, even Gary was immune.
You know, his stupidity actually manages to put him in better light. He wasn't being that selfishly evil when he tried to seduce Gary, who identified as straight. If by that time twenty something guys who told Dillon they were straight had sex with him anyway and enjoyed it, he had reason to assume twenty something guy would like that too. Because he is so open about his orientation, it might not occur to him that others would be more secretive.

brasca

Post by brasca »

That actually redeems him to some extent with his obsession with Gary. I suppose after 27 times he might think he has the power to make straight men gay would explain why he was more aggressive with Gary.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby has wanted to get out of the flat since before she got in. But I assume that she's on a tight budget (she presumably only has whatever money her parents gave her); the book preview half-strip maybe hinted the same. And anyway, even when she gets the funds, she'll have to hunt up a flat, sort out the lease, and get herself moved over. Given the timescale these comics generally move on, she could get a job tomorrow, find a flat the next day, move onto both with all realistic speed - and still be sharing with Amber and Dillon for another couple of volumes.

I'm not actually sure exactly what Ruby has realised, or thinks she's realised, about anything there; maybe the next strip will clarify things. Does she reckon that those twenty-seven guys were all lying to Dillon, or to themselves, or both, about being straight? One would say that Dillon falling for the same dodgy gay seduction strategy twenty-seven times is more likely than him finding twenty-seven different straight guys he could turn, none of whom would mention their girlfriends until after the event.

Or maybe it isn't actually a seduction strategy; maybe it's the easiest way for a gay man to escape from Dillon after a one-night stand. ("It's been fun, but actually I'm straight.") He does strike me as the sort of person who a lot of men would like to screw once, but find unbearable in a long-term relationship.

So, now, does Ruby have to break it to Dillon that he hasn't actually turned twenty-seven straight men, he's just fallen for the same tacky excuse twenty-seven times?

Anyway, it's nice to see Ruby's intelligence actually kicking in. The answer to her question being, of course, that she's actually got a brain, and she uses it, rather than taking all her ideas from episodes of Oprah watched on wet afternoons between acting jobs. Though I do wonder about her assessment of Andy; it may be correct in in-comic canon, but his weird hero worship of Dillon looks a lot like denial to me.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

Callback to Nathan, wonder if we'll be seeing him in the future. I'm fairly interested on how he manages his marriage while using his male employees to indulge his homosexual impulses. He seems to think he's a straight guy who still enjoys gay sex, which I suppose is plausible to some degree but....there's a lot of potential for good story twists. Especially with Ruby, and with Amber's budding relationship possibly Gary, in the mix.

And Dillon's seduction of 27 straight guys, but he's still a bit (excuse the pun) bent over the one who got away, Gary.
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:So, now, does Ruby have to break it to Dillon that he hasn't actually turned twenty-seven straight men, he's just fallen for the same tacky excuse twenty-seven times?
Yes, please yes. This could deflate Dillon's ego a bit and give him the first of several reality checks he needs. And that would be funny has hell given Dillon will probably not believe immediately.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

TheEighth wrote:
And Dillon's seduction of 27 straight guys, but he's still a bit (excuse the pun) bent over the one who got away, Gary.
I'd think it'd be pretty clear that those other 27 guys weren't straight, they were either in denial or, like Spidrift said, saying they had girlfriends as an excuse to escape Dillon. The only straight guy in that mix is Gary, who Dillon has completely failed to seduce. Meanwhile, women have been bagging Gary left and right.

Horny and desperate as Gary was, if he'd had even a hint of homosexuality or even bisexuality he would've been Dillon's # 28 a long time ago.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Good grief, Dillon is stupid. o_o I'm starting to wonder whether his mum had to smack him in the back of the head when it rained so that he wouldn't drown...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One also notes that, even when he's supposed to be reassuring Ruby that he wouldn't try to poach Andy, he can't resist boasting about those guys being straight - even though it undermines his own efforts.
TheEighth wrote:Callback to Nathan, wonder if we'll be seeing him in the future. I'm fairly interested on how he manages his marriage while using his male employees to indulge his homosexual impulses.
We'll just have to wait to see if we ever meet Nathan's wife (and I doubt it'll happen), but the default sex comedy assumption is that a character like Nathan will be married to a cynical woman who chooses to ignore his infidelities so long as her credit card keeps working, and who may be shagging her tennis coach. Nathan can probably afford to cover his tracks pretty well, but it'll help if she isn't interested in looking for them. She may even have a folder of notes and calendar entries, in case it ever comes to divorce.

Or she might be written completely differently, as, say, a poor sad lonely romantic who doesn't have a clue. Or something else. I guess it'd be funny if she turned up one day, initially as an unidentified middle-aged amazon, looking to punch Dillon through the window for seducing her husband, and Ruby had to talk her down. ("Dillon isn't actually evil. He's just ... stupid.") But no bets.
TheEighth wrote:He seems to think he's a straight guy who still enjoys gay sex, which I suppose is plausible to some degree but....
That depends on how you define "straight", I guess, but I'm sorry; by my definition, someone who enjoys gay sex, and acts on the impulse, is either gay or bi.
Bambikles wrote:And that would be funny has hell given Dillon will probably not believe immediately.
Remember, all she has to say to convince him it's true is "I saw it on television". Which she probably could; she clearly watches a bit too much TV herself. Just different shows to Dillon.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

brasca wrote:Well if they lied then it's not as serious, but I still find it hard to believe that all 27 of them were straight and single before meeting him. However, Dillon seems to go for the type who would cheat so perhaps it's slightly more plausible. While this does redeem Dillon somewhat he is still rather tactless regarding Ruby's insecurity issues. She has enough concerns that whoever she is with would cheat on her with another woman and now it is possible than another man could be involved.
This strip seemed like a back pedal on the part of the writers (to make Dillon more forgiving) or Dillon is lying. Though, they do seem to make Dillon pretty dumb if he doesn't realize that Bi doesn't mean cheater (as he told Jerzy) and that down low is basically gay and in denial.

MissNix

Post by MissNix »

They lied? All 27 of them? Mmmmkay...