12-08-14 I like someone else

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Optimus Kate

Re: 12-08-14 I like someone else

Post by Optimus Kate »

Hehehehe you've got a good point there. Thanks Spiddles!

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Optimus Kate wrote:snip
Well do to lack of physical contact and general anonymity, some don't really care if someone takes them serious on the internet. I mean the standard internet debate tends to just end cause There is nothing

I mean, having known people in real life who have the 'Narcisstic, Nothing is never my fault even though you're the cause and source of you're own damn drama'. Dillion's brand of ego centrism can easily rub people the wrong way. Granted Dillion ain't done nothing worth killing him over. I mean I can understand you're complaint from the stand point of " It's not some Drama where the intended emotional response is you want X Character dead for what they've done and generally how they act

IE Ms Happy here
or THIS ****ING GUY

but just in case I veer to much into serious territory

Aliens :YMALIEN:

bejammin2000

Post by bejammin2000 »

I think I'm in the minority here, most likely, but I think Ruby and Dillon are cute together. And, at least in my head, Ruby is what makes Dillon realize that maybe he's not so super-mega-gay as he thinks he is and might actually be a teensiest bit bi.

Or maybe there's the whole thing about being burned by men to often that he's chased into the arms of a woman like in those movies that plays on late night cinemax.

Just the other way around.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Abraxas wrote:
Optimus Kate wrote:snip
Well do to lack of physical contact and general anonymity, some don't really care if someone takes them serious on the internet. I mean the standard internet debate tends to just end cause There is nothing

I mean, having known people in real life who have the 'Narcisstic, Nothing is never my fault even though you're the cause and source of you're own damn drama'. Dillion's brand of ego centrism can easily rub people the wrong way. Granted Dillion ain't done nothing worth killing him over. I mean I can understand you're complaint from the stand point of " It's not some Drama where the intended emotional response is you want X Character dead for what they've done and generally how they act

IE Ms Happy here
or THIS ****ING GUY

but just in case I veer to much into serious territory

Aliens :YMALIEN:
still....have not wished him dead....

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

do we have to assume that none of their twenty-seven girlfriends ever got into Dillon's face and yelled at him for what he'd done to their relationships?
Actually I'd really like to see at least a representative one of these 27 stories to get an idea. Instinctively, I'd guess they would get mad at their previous boyfriend only, and ignore Dillon. There wouldn't be that sense of rivalry there is when it's another woman who steals the guy. And in reverse genders, does anyone imagine an angry boyfriend going to yell at a lesbian Casanova for turning over* their girlfriend getting anything else than ridicule, let alone sympathy ? :-\

*Couldn' find a better term, used the simplest and plainest I found.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mostly, I'd guess, yes it'd be the faithless boyfriend who got yelled at, if only because he was closer to hand. But the thing about a number as large as 27 is that there's scope for all sorts of stuff. Some relationships which were on the skids or barely there anyway, some girlfriends just falling about laughing at the idea of that idiot getting talked into doing that, some boyfriends going back on hands and knees to beg forgiveness, some succeeding in preventing the girlfriend from ever finding out what they'd done (with varying levels of guilty feelings) - and some girlfriends letting Dillon have both barrels, verbally, because they really don't see any difference between him and a woman in the same position, and others getting really badly upset and depressed at being betrayed like that. You know, suffering the way that Dillon insists that he suffers when the latest cheating bastard he's bedded cheats on him.

Because while Dillon might get away with his shit once or twice, 27 times is just too damn many for him not to have been called on it once, or never to have done serious damage. Unless, of course, he's got the sort of plot immunity enjoyed by an authors' favourite character. But that can't be the case, I'm sure.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

I always kind of interpreted the "27 guys" line to mean that the guys realized they were actually into dudes, hence "forgetting about their girlfriends".

I could be waaaaaaay off on that though.

(If that's the case, I had a guy break up with me before because he realized he was gay. Didn't bother me much. Lol)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Bambikles wrote:
do we have to assume that none of their twenty-seven girlfriends ever got into Dillon's face and yelled at him for what he'd done to their relationships?
Actually I'd really like to see at least a representative one of these 27 stories to get an idea. Instinctively, I'd guess they would get mad at their previous boyfriend only, and ignore Dillon. There wouldn't be that sense of rivalry there is when it's another woman who steals the guy. And in reverse genders, does anyone imagine an angry boyfriend going to yell at a lesbian Casanova for turning over* their girlfriend getting anything else than ridicule, let alone sympathy ? :-\

*Couldn' find a better term, used the simplest and plainest I found.
guy makes a straight guy leave GF = GF furious for BF leaving her

girl makes a straight girl leave BF = BF tries to hit a 3some with the 2 girls (usually not successful, when is successful is usually because the 2 girls made it so)
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:I always kind of interpreted the "27 guys" line to mean that the guys realized they were actually into dudes, hence "forgetting about their girlfriends".
When Dillon first mentioned it, way back, I was perfectly prepared to believe someone who said it was indeed like that - a gay figure of speech, meaning "forget their past girlfriends and realise that they were into guys". I mean, I'm no apologist for Dillon, but I didn't think he was meant to be that much of a creep, or that the writers wanted him to look like one. And it's a perfectly good figure of speech.

But when the line was repeated a few days ago, it looked like it was meant to be taken literally - Ruby certainly took it that way, and it's all going to look silly and messy if somebody has to correct that impression later. And then TCampbell came onto the boards to say that the effect was deliberate, because the creative team wanted to make it clear that Dillon had serious flaws - which seems to settle it.

It'll be interesting to see if it ever actually comes up again; Ruby seems promptly to have forgotten how unimpressed she was, and it's hard to see how a new improved Dillon could make up for that sort of jerkiness, short of the comic running two volumes of "My Name is Dillon".
Last edited by Spidrift on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Damn Spid you beat me to the punch. I think I still have enough of my own option to add to this.
Optimus Kate wrote:I always kind of interpreted the "27 guys" line to mean that the guys realized they were actually into dudes, hence "forgetting about their girlfriends".

I could be waaaaaaay off on that though.
For the sake of it here is #157 of Ma3. I took it as he made them cheat, but made them realize they might be bi or gay is another way to look at it. That is all I'm going on that topic.

I believe Dillon can and should come to see how wrong that statement sounds. How long it takes for him to get that point is up to the writers, but I feel that this strip might be the first tentative step in that direction.

BTW Because I failed to mention this before, Ruby does look super cute holding onto Dillon in panel four.

*edit* :ymsigh: fixed the link (hate when I mess it up)
Last edited by FlashD81 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

I mean, it's a little unbelievable that 27 heterosexual males slept with another man just because he's a good kisser and, you know, continued identifying as heterosexual.

But I guess there's a Kinsey Scale for a reason!

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Dillon's way to take revenge on straight guys (coughRaycough) trying to push him into girls became pushing straight guys with girlfriends into gay liaison?

and I wonder
has it being established that the 27 guys became obsessed with Dillon, and dumped their GFs?

or "forgetting their GF" is meant to be forgetting them WHILE they have their Liaison with Dill? and they came back to their GFs afterwards? (which is what seems most likely)

or the 27 lost their GF, but eventually got new GFs afterwards?

or those 27 who WERE straight became bi or gay?

and about "Kinsey scale"

Dillon even without the wig is feminine enough that someone who sees themselves as 0 in kinsey scale finds out they are 1 with him

and given his "pictures" thing with Zii, and taking showers with Amber, Dill might be a 5, and not a 6 in Kinsey scale

and even with Kinsey scales, is not an exact science, lot of straight guys would never even envision being with a MANLY man but they can be persuaded to be with a Transsexual or a guy who is and looks very feminine, and some Gay guys might be persuaded to be with a butch (in terms of appearance, not sexual orientation) female
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

FlashD81 wrote:For the sake of it here is #157 of Ma3.
No it isn't. The usual problem. Try again.
Optimus Kate wrote:I mean, it's a little unbelievable that 27 heterosexual males slept with another man just because he's a good kisser and, you know, continued identifying as heterosexual.
Oh, I'm sure that most or all of them changed their minds about the label they accepted. Some may have tried denial, others may have declared that they were Kinsey-two experimental and what the hell, some may have embraced flaming queendom... I mean, I wouldn't give a damn if that was all that was at issue - whatever floats your boat, guys.

The issue is Dillon claiming that he seduced twenty-seven guys who had girlfriends at the time. - especially given how much he whines when people cheat on him. He induced and encouraged cheating, twenty-seven times over, and boasted about it. That's screaming hypocrisy at best, deeply dodgy trophy-hunting at worst.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

I know what the issue is, don't worry. It's been pointed out plenty of times. ;)

For the record, in case I haven't said it before, I totally agree with you guys on that. It is hypocritical. To say otherwise would be absolutely foolish. But Dillon has not "woken up" yet on regards to his own faults, so I'm not ready to dismiss him completely over his hypocrisy and delusions. I know he still needs to grow up a lot.

I always love a good flawed character. I like Zii a whole lot too, and I am well aware that I was in the forum minority with that one for a while. Matt too.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

It might have been the fact that I got into Ma3 late (started around #672) but I never did get any hate for Zii. I'm guessing my attitude toward Dillon (one of frustration) most likely will change if SDB ever gets that far and hopefully beyond.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK