12-08-14 I like someone else

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 12-08-14 I like someone else

Post by Artemisia »

Which is why I own the books and occasionally do a reread of the strips.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The trick for readers is not to assume the most shallow interpretation. Small things that get dropped in passing may or may not prove significant later - often they don't - but there are things going on with these characters that aren't declared front and centre, and sometimes these people are even unreliable witnesses.

(Well, that's my theory about Gary's schooldays, anyway.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Unfortunately it's often a case of too many books/comics too little time. If only trivial things like work didn't get in the way I might have the time for re-reading.

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

I have to say...

From the perspective of us, the readers, this particular pairing of "strange bedfellows" (or ménage à 3, if you count Minew ;) ) seemed custom-designed to comfort Dillon and to bother Ruby. Instead (judging by the last panel of this strip), it seems to have had exactly the opposite effect.

(Makes me wonder if there will be a similar reversal of emotions in this comic's other current pair of "strange bedfellows"--Jerzy and Angel.)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

dmra wrote:Unfortunately it's often a case of too many books/comics too little time. If only trivial things like work didn't get in the way I might have the time for re-reading.
I reread the books in about a week not long ago, and I don't have a lot of time to sit and read right now.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

Well - I'm not sure I should resurrect the topic, but I did have something to say about the Dillon "hate".
I don't actually hate Dillon; I see his likable traits as well. He reminds me of people in my life - who are good people, and I want only the best for them - but the need they have to make you a participant, a dramatis persona in the pageant of their life, makes them a horrific labor to just be around. You start avoiding them.
Easy enough to avoid Dillon, but I'm all caught up in Ruby's story now. To follow that, I have to put up with this constant irritant - not even so much Dillon himself as all of the people he reminds me of when he does those things to Ruby - that I get very frustrated with the comic at times.

This strip, however, I think is showing Dillon making some realization (perhaps true, perhaps not). I don't think he's just waking up, because Ruby's arm was impeding his breathing.
I think - I hope - that this strip marks the beginning of Dillon's growth arc, and I'm certain Ruby will be a large part of it.
Then we just need to do Jerzy's growth arc, and Dillon will be all set.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

Spidrift wrote:
Kiggy wrote:I started a thread last year with the prediction that Ruby would/could fall hard for Dillon, but she would end up heartbroken as he has no interest in women.
W
Ruby is now very clear that Dillon is gay, she's shown no signs of any misguided social-conservative ideas about gayness being an illness that can be cured, and she has no serious sexual vanity, so she wouldn't assume that she could change him through sheer seductiveness. If she found herself falling for him, she'd just get annoyed with herself.

(And it's always been the point of Dillon as a character that he's the gayest vaginaphobic thing on Planet Gay during Gayness Week, Kinsey Seven with a bullet; him showing the faintest twinge of sexual interest in anything without a penis just ain't gonna happen.)
Sniff sniff. What is that smell? Ah my shipping prediction is done.Extra crispy! Where did I put the A-1 Sauce?
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

dmra

Post by dmra »

Artemisia wrote:
dmra wrote:Unfortunately it's often a case of too many books/comics too little time. If only trivial things like work didn't get in the way I might have the time for re-reading.
I reread the books in about a week not long ago, and I don't have a lot of time to sit and read right now.
Well good for you. There are things I've read more than once but I prefer to read new stuff rather than re reading things but, de gustibus and all that.

bejammin2000

Post by bejammin2000 »

Like I said, I was probably in the minority. And really, I find the Kinsey scale to be... much too limiting.

Sexuality is much more fluid then I think either side of the argument are willing to say, so that's my matter.

Besides, there's no reason for Dillon to not still be the gayest thing out of gay city even if he is attracted to Ruby. I look at it like early seasons of Simpsons with Smithers. Single target sexuality against their own grain doesn't seem out of place to me.

But what do I know? I'm a white straight cis male.

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

Sexuality is as individual as our life experiences. We create broad categories and grading scales to try to deal with its complexity, but they all invariably fall short.
PIXIE MEL!!!