01-08-14 I am whoever you want me to be

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Farmer_10

Re: 01-08-14 I am whoever you want me to be

Post by Farmer_10 »

My own theory is that maybe Angel is actually a trans-woman. In the before-time she and Jerzy were together for awhile, but then she came out as trans. And that's why Jerzy broke up with her, since she's a woman now. But obviously she refuses to let go of the relationship they used to have. So now Angie is Angel, gender-neutral enough for her to still be a woman but also androgynous enough that it might reel in Jerzy. Which is obviously a pretty damn unhealthy mindset.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jerzy's description of his experience of sex with Angel was of a drunken one-night stand. (And the story is even referenced in this strip.) I really didn't get any hints of an extended sexual relationship.

No arguments about the unhealthy mindset, though.

Incidentally, I don't know where this scene is taking place; I assume Angel's place, but it could be Jerzy's. Which would probably lead to even more uncomfortable scenes the next morning. Hmm, maybe Felicia comes round to Dillon's door saying "Is Dillon there? ... Oh God is he being an idiot again?". Or maybe we hear Felicia through the wall again, but yelling out Jerzy for being an idiot this time. While Dillon suddenly discovers that Ruby is unimpressed enough with him to start actually cold-shouldering his attempts to be friendly.

Ah, good times.
Last edited by Spidrift on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

Farmer_10 wrote:My own theory is that maybe Angel is actually a trans-woman. In the before-time she and Jerzy were together for awhile, but then she came out as trans. And that's why Jerzy broke up with her, since she's a woman now. But obviously she refuses to let go of the relationship they used to have. So now Angie is Angel, gender-neutral enough for her to still be a woman but also androgynous enough that it might reel in Jerzy. Which is obviously a pretty damn unhealthy mindset.
I think you might be on to something. Though Jerzy boning Zii probably didn't help, and Jerzy has been pretty adamant that there was no romantic relationship, per se, just a drunken hookup. But I think you might have the best answer to the puzzle that is Angel, though Angel had completed her transition at least by the time of the Jerzy/Zii hookup. But on the other hand, Jerzy did say he did not know he was truly not interested in women for some time. It's a mystery.

But otherwise? I got nothin. After Dillon showed his ass in a monumental way last strip, I've lost all sympathy for him, and I still feel Jerzy is as dumb as a box of rocks and is going to get into a ton of trouble with this Angel thing. I'm rooting for Ruby, Amber and Andy to remain un-annoying.

Farmer_10

Post by Farmer_10 »

Spidrift wrote:Jerzy's description of his experience of sex with Angel was of a drunken one-night stand. (And the story is even referenced in this strip.) I really didn't get any hints of an extended sexual relationship.
D'oh! Damn it, that's what happens when you formulate theories without actually reading a series in its entirety. Weakass Theory-Fu.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:...yikes.

So that's what all this is about? "Angel" is "Angie" trying to be as masculine as she'll allow herself, to win her gay ex-boyfriend back?

That's... depressing, really.
I know which is why I can't really hate Angel. Despite this clue I'm only 60% sure Angel is a woman. If not possibly transgender (and I'm hoping that's the right terminology so as not to set this place ablaze) which would mean "I am whoever you want me to be" has other implications like Angel could be the guy or girl Jerzy wants. At this point it would almost be anticlimactic if Angel is a man.

I'm not sure if I'm alone, but when I think of who Angel might sound like I think of Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

oh for the love of god will the authors just freaking tell us? this is not a 2 hours movie but twice a week comic, there is only so much you can stretch things like these before they become just irritating

also, I vote female

majek
BANNED

Post by majek »

Boring. Next comic please.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Abort ! Abort ! Abort ! :-T

I'd just say than Angel never looked more feminine than in the 3rd panel.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One detail; this strip doesn't have a joke or a twist at the end - TCampbell's claims notwithstanding. It's purely a plot-moving device.

I guess that there was a shortage of funny available here.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Hey you guys finally got one right! :P

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Azrael wrote:Still not necessarily.
Desperate much?
That's rather rude of you, don't you think?

I personally think that Angel is a woman; but then, Angel could also be Angelo, and still hate the nickname 'Angie'. (a Google image search on 'Angie' which results in mostly women does not prove squat all, in this case).

Someone mentions the dialogue that confirms she's a woman - but does it? Jerzy says 'Angel, you know I'm...', and people automatically assume the last word is 'gay'. But it could also be 'in love with Dillon'. The dialogue is still very much ambiguous and proves nothing either way.

Hell, even her choosing to enter the woman's bathroom instead of the men's could be explained as the men's bathroom was overcrowded as is, and a man running in there with what seemed to be a case of exploding diarrhea, who wouldn't want to avoid that?

So, calling someone desperate for not immediately coming to the conclusion as many others have that Angel is a woman after this strip is uncalled rather for.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Bambikles wrote:Abort ! Abort ! Abort ! :-T
No, that comes later. Hopefully before the end of Angie's first trimester.
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

OK, time to toss my theory into the ring.

Angel was born female and was named Angie, but now identifies as GENDERLESS (though definitely not asexual). In terms of clothing, style, looks (via makeup), Angel is pretty much androgynous (which is the root of all this discussion since Angel is neither clearly male or clearly female), and I suspect Angel does all this to enforce the genderlessness.

Also, classically, angels are genderless.

I don't understand at all how anyone can think Angel is a male-to-female transsexual. The evidence at least leans toward Angie being a female name, and if Angel does not want to be Angie any more, that means Angel likely used to be "externally identified as female" (especially having a female body), and that is not the Angel of today anymore. If anything, Angel would be a female-to-male transsexual, and calling Angel "she" all the time will call down the wrath of Arti on your heads. :P

Finally, @'J': Most excellent. :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:Angel was born female and was named Angie, but now identifies as GENDERLESS (though definitely not asexual). In terms of clothing, style, looks (via makeup), Angel is pretty much androgynous (which is the root of all this discussion since Angel is neither clearly male or clearly female), and I suspect Angel does all this to enforce the genderlessness.
To be honest, all that feels less like a theory and more like a statement of the now-obvious to me. I mean, the writers could always turn the whole thing around again for the sake of being confusing, but that'd just be pointless space-filling. Unless anyone can produce a few male anglophone or francophone Angies, I don't see how the point is even worth arguing about any more.

(Incidentally, "Angie" isn't traditionally a birth name in English; it's a contraction of "Angela". But contractions do sometimes get used as birth names these days. And for the record, I've known Angelas who hated being called "Angie"... But that's irrelevant here.)
Don Alexander wrote:Also, classically, angels are genderless.
More usually sexless, I think. The likes of Michael and Samael are both traditional and pretty damn male-identified.
---------
Spidrift

Gholateg

Post by Gholateg »

So, When Angie winds up preggers with jerzy's drunk, straight mistake baby, do you think Rudy will be the god father?