29-07-14 28 is lucky

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

sukebe senpai

Re: 29-07-14 28 is lucky

Post by sukebe senpai »

Giz wrote:I can understand why someone would hate him, but if he was perfect, he'd be boring as hell. Removing him (from his own series) would not help the series. Ruby needs a Dillon-type for her comedy to come out. The goal here is just like TheDude said. Both these characters need to grow.
Dillon, however, doesn't quite strike me as the character that will want to grow and evolve.
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that the idea was that he sort of got the idea when Ruby hammered home the nail that Angel jabbed him with in the eavesdropped conversation at the gig. He recognised then that he had to change, in theory.

The problem is, he looks like too much of a "two steps forward, three steps back" sort of character. Dropping Jerzy gave him an immediate excuse to revert to type.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

Spidrift wrote:
TwoWayStar wrote:Anyhoo, terrible. Just awful! Cheating is always wrong full stop. Artemisia, TheDude, TCambell and OptimusKAte said it all, I agree 100% lmao.
One thing I'm trying to decode about the Dillon fans; how much of it is because he's cute? Looking at the discussion of the way that the creep who just got thumped in SotR also happened to be ugly, I have to ask; if Dillon wasn't so pretty, would he get cut half so much slack?

Because it recently occurred to me that his behaviour - the manipulativeness and hypocrisy and self-deception - actually makes him very similar to Nathan. And Nathan is one of Ma3's few outright bad guys - but funnily enough, he isn't pretty.
I don't like him just because he's cute lmao, just about every main character in all of these strips is cute to me! xD Also, I don't hate Nathan, tbh i kind of forgot who he was so when people started referencing him I was like...who??? I don't think I was reading the forums for MA3 then..or at least must have missed those discussions. To me, he seemed a throwaway character meant to embody those sleazy director types rather than a..true character such as Matt, Senna, or even Jung. So I don't feel any way about him one way or the other.

And the guy who got thumped literally came into the personal space of a young girl who was naked and extremely not receptive to his advances, yeah he gave off instant major creep. If Dillon moved into the personal space of someone young, inexperienced, and naked and came on to them when they were also not receptive to his advances, yes I would have a problem with that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, Nathan was more a one-joke cliche than a fully-developed character. Still a full-on jerk, though.

As to the guy in SotR - there was no denying that he was being an arse, and nobody much regretted him getting thumped. That's not the issue. The point is that he was a bad person, and hey, look, he's also ugly - despite the fact that the pool was full of pretty people, some of whom had been casting mildly lecherous glances Marie's way only the strip before. It does kind of feel like there's a "beauty equals goodness" rule in force in theses comics, or at least "evil equals ugliness". So you can tell the really bad people because they're ugly, any ugly person must be bad - and perhaps some readers assume subconsciously that Dillon can't really be a bad person, whatever he does, because he's so pretty.

I'm fairly sure that Dillon thinks that way, of course... I guess it'd be nice if one of the comics brought in a downright homely minor character who did something flat-out nice, just to break the link.
Last edited by Spidrift on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, that's why we have Ruby! ;)
Spidrift wrote:casting mildly lecherous glances Alex's way
Seek help. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:Well, that's why we have Ruby!
If you think that Ruby is downright homely... Seek help. She's quintessence of Hollywood Nerd.
Seek help.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

In case my smiley did not make it clear, of course I do not consider Ruby homely. She's not the most stunning and beautiful girl in these strips, but, yes, Hollywood Nerd is the correct trope.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)