18-07-14 We can be emo together

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

themacnut

Re: 18-07-14 We can be emo together

Post by themacnut »

Before anyone jump too harshly on Jerzy for falling for Angel's manipulation, remember he has NO idea that "Rudy" is Ruby, and also Dillon has already proven himself the shameless flirt Angel accused him of being. Is it any wonder Jerzy jumps to the conclusion that Dillon already found someone else to go home with? Azrael is right, Dillon did rather helpfully shoot himself in the arse far as Angel's concerned. Looks to me like the good 'ship Jerzy/Dillon is sunk.

I wonder how emo Dillon's going to be about this? Or will it be just the one night of drama queen hysterics, then he moves on?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

It's hard to tell at this point. He might mope around for a while or just decide to move on and continue to help Ruby in his own way.

Eventually Dillon and Jerzy will have it out and figure out what they want from each other. Just not before more drama can come form the current situation.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Ouch.

Come on, Jerzy, I'll comfort you.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:So far I find Angel to be marginally less insufferable than Dillon with a justifiable grudge against Zii.
You can say that Angel's attitude towards Jerzy is no worse than Dillon's past treatment of Gary - better, even, in that Jerzy enables it - but Angel's attitude to Zii is pure petulant childishness. Zii can behave badly, but we have no reason to believe, in this one case, that she was lying when she said that she didn't know that Angel regarded Jerzy as Angel's boyfriend. Hell, Jerzy doesn't class himself as Angel's boyfriend, and went along with the seduction. Zii had no reason to think she was doing anything wrong, and for once, she wasn't.

Maybe Zii could have cooled that feud down if she tried, rather than hitting back when Angel lashed out, but in the end, this is all about Angel being an hysterical arsehole. Hell, chucking Jerzy out of the room when Zii walks in? Refusing to even mention Zii's name? Angel acts like a five-year-old on this score.
TwoWayStar wrote:Also. Jerzy... I just..I just can't *rubs forehead* This is giving me a headache. This type of ridiculous misunderstanding drives me up the wall.
It's comedy, of course, but if Jerzy really understood Dillon, he'd guess that Dillon was capable of all sorts of melodramatic acting out while actually crying desperately inside, darling. But Jerzy's only-sane-man act has turned out to be very thin. He's an idiot attention hog who just wants to be wanted.

Ah, sod it. It's Ruby I'd be concerned for. I just hope that Dillon has repressed his heartbreak enough to refrain from crying loudly all night. If so, she comes out ahead for the evening; having proved that she can step out of her comfort zone and handle one of Dillon's idiot set-pieces with a certain amount of style, she'll get a good night's sleep with the bed to herself. But the odds are that Dillon will follow up his threats to her dignity by ruining her rest, too.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

cellabella wrote:
brasca wrote:
TheEighth wrote:Personally I like emo/goth girls, but the jury's still out on you Angel.
I really haven't been shown enough reasons to dislike Angel. He has designs on someone who doesn't feel the same way, but Dillon is guilty of that too in regards to Gary. And while Angel can flirt too there wasn't any steady attachment at the time unlike Dillon when he was with Jerzy. Most people wouldn't be happy about being a second choice which it may or may not be if Jerzy resumes his relationship with Angel, but as far as Angel is concerned the chance that it could be is good enough. Despite the rock snobbery Angel seems to have some self esteem problems . So far I find Angel to be marginally less insufferable than Dillon with a justifiable grudge against Zii.
Not seeing the analogy. Arguably, Dillon cockblocked Amber at the outset, even though she used him without his knowledge or permission to offer him up in a potential threesome with Gary. And I think it was Amber who assumed that because Dillon had a crush on Gary and had his picture on his nightstand that his feelings for Gary and the "friendship code" prevented her from making a move. But, though my recollection of the events are fuzzy, I will for the sake of argument grant you that Dillon, at one point, actively attempted to keep Gary and Amber from hooking up.

The fact of the matter is, he is not still doing it. He moved on. He moved out. He started dating others. Gary has now (presumably) fucked Amber, so the "friend code" is out the window and Amber does not give a shit what Dillon might or might not think about it, which is a normal and proper response. Arguably Didi has done more to frustrate Gary getting his mack on than Dillon ever did.

Juxtapose that with a person who from the word "go" has tried to actively sabotage the relationship of a man who has shown time and time again that they are not interested. Who has done everything to twist things to their advantage. Dillon is no innocent in this. He was sneaky and conniving, and I'm not super upset about this turn of events because I feel like he needs a huge comeuppance. But the Gary thing is being beaten into the ground. Dillon ain't thinking about Gary. Will he respond positively when/if he finds out Gary was (presumably) balls deep in Amber? Dunno. I have a suspicion he would go off the deep end more finding out that Jerzy fucked Zii. Angel is dangerous. This is a comedy and I doubt it will take a dark turn, but it's telling how much you and others hate Dillon that you would consider anything he has done to be worse than this utter creepiness.

And Jerzy is dumb as a fence post. Sad. I had high hopes for him.
The aforementioned example is part of it, but Gary was on the verge of cheating on Yuki with Amber so I don't think Dillon's intervention was completely self interested. I think back to this example: http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/couch Sure it's played for laughs like a lot of the earlier strips where Gary is the born loser, but that along with his penchant for violating Gary's privacy and boundaries are a big reason I don't like Dillon much. With Angel we don't know if he's been as bad as Dillon in his obsession with Jerzy. We don't know how bad Angel was, but we do know what Dillon is capable of. If we find out otherwise my opinion will change, but so far Dillon is worse given his past history. And while Dillon has moved on he was never in an actual relationship with Gary whereas Angel was so there is a greater justification to carry a torch.

Now while I agree that Angel has never supported Jerzy's relationship with Dillon to call it sabotage is a bit much. Consider the incident at the pet shop. Dillon didn't want Angel to call Jerzy to tell him he was seen with a girl. If Dillon didn't have such a guilty conscious because he was flirting he could've called his bluff since Jerzy wouldn't think anything suspicious with his boyfriend taking his roommate's sister shopping. Angel can get under Dillon's skin, but he hasn't gone to extraordinary lengths to undermine his relationship.

And for the record I don't hate Dillon. Hate is a strong word. I find him annoying and tiresome, but I don't hate him.

I can expect a lot of criticism of Jerzy's intelligence, but wouldn't the mature thing be to move on instead of pine after someone the way Angel does over Jerzy. Seems to me like you have a double standard because Jerzy refuses to let Dillon move on.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

So, what the neighbouring life will look like now ?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Pardon?

Oh, yeah, you mean "How will relations between the neighbours in the two apartments work now?"

Melodramatically, of course. It's Felicia I'm sorry for. Amber can go hide in Gary's bed, and Ruby doesn't expect any better and can at least polish her sarcasm on this rough surface, but how is Jerzy's poor sister going to handle this nonsense?

Oh yes, she has a boyfriend these days. Perhaps she can go use his place for a few weeks.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gholateg

Post by Gholateg »

That's it Jerzy. Go get your drink on with your silver medal.

You can claim you were drunk and it was another mistake when you wake up with black lipstick around your junk and your ego restored.

As much as i dislike Angel and think they're a creepo stalker, Jerzy feeds that creepo stalker so much I'm surprised angel can fit in their skinny jeans.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

Spidrift wrote:
TwoWayStar wrote:Also. Jerzy... I just..I just can't *rubs forehead* This is giving me a headache. This type of ridiculous misunderstanding drives me up the wall.
It's comedy, of course, but if Jerzy really understood Dillon, he'd guess that Dillon was capable of all sorts of melodramatic acting out while actually crying desperately inside, darling. But Jerzy's only-sane-man act has turned out to be very thin. He's an idiot attention hog who just wants to be wanted.
Jerzy did seem to be a little self-absorbed from earlier strips but I waved it away thinking I was looking too deeply. Alas, Ruby is the last level-headed human in the strip *clutches at her like a life raft*

(Seriously though, still enjoy the strip still can't wait to see what's next!)

PukaPinball

Post by PukaPinball »

Oh Angel, you scheming little devil. How I love you.

I totally ship Angel and Pandora, by the way. No? Just me?

Adam88

Post by Adam88 »

Angel isn't to blame. All is fair in love and war, right? I don't know, I think Dilly was being a bit slutty before this, and Jersey has a right to be angry. This entire thing started getting out of hand when Dilly started the drag-stalking. If I had a boyfriend like that, I'd have an ex boyfriend pretty quickly.

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:So far I find Angel to be marginally less insufferable than Dillon with a justifiable grudge against Zii.
You can say that Angel's attitude towards Jerzy is no worse than Dillon's past treatment of Gary - better, even, in that Jerzy enables it - but Angel's attitude to Zii is pure petulant childishness. Zii can behave badly, but we have no reason to believe, in this one case, that she was lying when she said that she didn't know that Angel regarded Jerzy as Angel's boyfriend. Hell, Jerzy doesn't class himself as Angel's boyfriend, and went along with the seduction. Zii had no reason to think she was doing anything wrong, and for once, she wasn't.

Maybe Zii could have cooled that feud down if she tried, rather than hitting back when Angel lashed out, but in the end, this is all about Angel being an hysterical arsehole. Hell, chucking Jerzy out of the room when Zii walks in? Refusing to even mention Zii's name? Angel acts like a five-year-old on this score.
I don't think Zii could've handled the situation any better than she did. For the most part, she seems to operate almost entirely on impulse when it comes to satisfying her sexual desires. When things do go sour, she tends to handle the fallout poorly. As such, she is her own worst enemy. Still, to be fair to Zii, at the time she had sex with Jerzy, she didn't now about Angel's past history with him, so you have a point there.

Still things went as sour as they did because of Angel's obsession over Jerzy. My guess is that anyone romantically interested in him is going to have to deal with hostility from Angel.
Spidrift wrote:

Ah, sod it. It's Ruby I'd be concerned for. I just hope that Dillon has repressed his heartbreak enough to refrain from crying loudly all night. If so, she comes out ahead for the evening; having proved that she can step out of her comfort zone and handle one of Dillon's idiot set-pieces with a certain amount of style, she'll get a good night's sleep with the bed to herself. But the odds are that Dillon will follow up his threats to her dignity by ruining her rest, too.
That makes me think Jerzy might've just dodged a bullet in regards to his break up with Dillon. For a long period of the comic, Dillon obsessed with over Gary in spite of the fact that the latter had no romantic interest in him. He also definitely engaged in behavior every bit as bad as anything Angel has done. Additionally, for the most part Angel has kept the bad comment to snarking and pointed comments. I would say in this case, Angel isn't actually as bad as Dillon based on conduct observed.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com