Post by FlashD81 »

@Spidrift Agreed on both points.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Fluffy

Re: 04-07-14 Please hold me

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
FlashD81 wrote:<shakes head> Now Jerzy is going to go home, thinking of the wrong thing. If he want's to be smart he will ask what is going on but I doubt that will go well anyway.
Note that, according to this strip, Jerzy wants Dillon to need him and not to be able to find comfort with anyone else. Hence, seeing Dillon looking at all happy with someone else shocks and annoys him. A sensible man would guess that Dillon might be, say, desperately looking for comfort while he's hurting inside; the possibility would at least be worth checking. But Jerzy looks like a codependency junkie who has just discovered that his fix may be unreliable.
Seriously - what strip are you reading?

Jerzy is acknowledging his fuck up, why Dillon would be so upset by said fuck up, and Jerzy wants to make amends with the guy he foolishly loves so he could hold him in his arms again and make everything right between them once more.

You make it sound like Jerzy wants Dillon to depend on him and him alone for love and support where there is no evidence of such a thing - in this strip or any other before it.

And where is Jerzy showing annoyance in this strip? (the only one I see as being annoyed is Ruby - for obvious reasons). The only thing I see Jerzy being is mortified at the site of Dillon 'hooking up' with another 'man' moments after their spat. If anything is happening here; Jerzy is getting visual confirmation that everything Angel was accusing Dillon of was right on the money; and unless Jerzy confronts Dillon about this at this very moment, he'll continue believing that's exactly what it is until proven otherwise (especially if Dillon thinks it's a good idea to have Jerzy believe that Ruby is another man as a means of teaching Jerzy a lesson).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Look at the third frame especially. Jerzy has the expression of a goofball romantic, and he is explicitly fantasising about giving Dillon something that he alone can supply. ("No one else could ever...")

In itself, that could just be a moment of sentimentality. But combine it with the way he puts up with Angel, and I'm seeing the beginning of a pattern; an out-of-control need to be needed. Maybe two data points isn't sufficient proof, but it's my current best guess.

Anyway, Jerzy looks quite annoyed to me in the last panel. Maybe it's just mortification, but whatever; if he thinks he's made a mistake, he's still jumping to conclusions there. He knows full well that Dillon is a drama queen, which could lead Dillon to do all sorts of ridiculous things to cover his hurt after a break-up - things like, say, throwing himself at a short fat angry-looking guy. If Jerzy expects Dillon to be doing anything reasonable at this point, Jerzy is definitely a romantic idiot; Dillon doesn't do reasonable, and Jerzy has seen that before now.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

...and you're not going to entertain the idea that Jerzy may be thinking back on a more intimate/tender moment he may have shared with Dillon in the recent past that he longs to have again?

And a stunned look, followed by a shielded eyes/jaw drop looks like annoyance to you?

Maybe you ought to familiarizing yourself with anime expressions a little more. :/
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

We never saw that intimate moment actually happen. It may have done, but given his general train of thought there, it seems at least as likely to me that Jerzy is fantasising that specific interaction. At the very least, the particular exchange that comes into his mind may be indicative.

And I still say that "No one else" line is significant. He may not mind some competition, but there's a touch of narcissism there.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And now, tangentially - the Ma3 Kickstarter has passed the level required to finance printing of volume 1 of SDB! Woot!
---------
Spidrift