03-06-14 I am a modern woman

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

03-06-14 I am a modern woman

Post by Giz »

New strip! http://www.stickydillybuns.com/strips-s ... dern_woman

Final to follow a bit later. Appointments to attend!

Qwertz

Re: 03-06-14 I am a modern woman

Post by Qwertz »

Of course she was going to have a long monologue while not actually alone in the bathroom :)) :))

Also, "I have every right to look at men!" "Do what makes you happy! And enjoy the show!" which show did you have in mind, Gary? :ymdevil:

P.S.: First!! :p
Mordhaus wrote:The plot, like soup to which the starch of corn hath been added, doth thicken.
EvilSnack wrote:I think that the characters in this comic are as slim as they are because of the exercise they get from jumping to so many conclusions.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

When Gary met Ruby. =)) 8-}

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Note: Engaging in loud monologues in public places is never a good idea, even if you are a comedy character. Especially if you're a comedy character. You're never actually going to be alone, whatever you may think.

Anyway, it's nice to see Ruby suffering only routine levels of embarrassment, and not digging herself in deeper. Presumably, Gary will look at Rudy extremely oddly from now on, should they meet; more significantly, if Ruby (undisguised) meets Gary at a later date, he'll probably be very puzzled by her cringe-heavy reactions.

Not that Ruby will find Gary very attractive, if she thinks about this scene. He doesn't wash his hands. And we know that she's a fastidious young woman.

Anyway, for now, she just has to finish sorting out her little denial problem. After all, this strip probably marks the point where she comes to terms with the facts. Panel 3 actually contradicts what she's been trying to claim about herself all the way through the comic up to panel 2 of this strip; she's allowing herself the right to a little honest leching at men. I suspect that Ruby's next plot, after the gig, may involve her either trying to get at Dillon's yaoi collection, or visiting Pixietrix Comics to buy her own.

But we have the gig to get through first, along with things like what Ruby might say to Dillon about his behaviour. Which raises a bigger point. I think that Giz has hinted that this comic will divide into volumes of the same size as those for Ma3, and we're now on #134, so we've got 16 to go until some kind of moderately significant division. That might or might take us to the end of the gig.

It'll also be interesting to see if SDB borrows another important tradition from Ma3, and if so, who'll be kissing and then dropping who in #150.

(Oh, and I loved the little cameo portraits at the bottom of frame 3.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

This could be very embarrassing for Ruby except that's Rudy who may become her alter ego when she needs to procure yaoi.

As for Gary why should this weirdo be any different than all the other ones in his life?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

zaprzapb wrote:When Gary met Ruby. =)) 8-}
THE END
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:This could be very embarrassing for Ruby except that's Rudy who may become her alter ego when she needs to procure yaoi.
The problem with sending Rudy to procure yaoi is that she'd not only have to act like a man, but like a gay man. Though Ruby might reasonably feel that she knows enough about that subject by now to pass.

My current bet with myself is that Ruby will sneak off to Pixietrix Comics as herself, thinking "No one will know me here", and promptly be recognised - by Zii from back home, or by Jung from the gig. (You think Jung won't see through that disguise even faster than Matt?) But that's several stations down the line in the plot, so who knows?
brasca wrote:As for Gary why should this weirdo be any different than all the other ones in his life?
Well, this is the first time that he's seen someone who currently looks like a guy, proclaiming loudly that they're a woman. It's a new variation. But a new variation on an increasingly familiar theme, I'll grant you.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

:)) Thank god I was not drinking something when I read this strip. :))

I almost lost it when I got to panel 3. The reaction of both Gay and Ruby are perfect. Gary might have been freaked out more so than usual (which is why he left without washing his hands).

I feel that Ruby is going to be a little upset until she runs into Dillon. This could be a bread crumb situation. We might not see anything come from these two for a long time.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"Bread crumb situation"??

Anyway, Ruby is surely more likely to be judgmental than upset at Dillon. It'll be interesting to see how maternal she ever gets at him. She may instinctively feel that she's invested a certain amount of effort and embarrassment in helping him with his relationship with Jerzy; seeing him bollix that up would be irritating for her.
---------
Spidrift

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

"..do what makes you happy!
And enjoy the show!"

If that's not on a T-shirt, it ought to be. It ranks right up there with

"be Good to each other, and -
Party On, Dudes!!"

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

I demand that the next page has Gary awkwardly returning to wash his hands.

Because ew.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: I suspect that Ruby's next plot, after the gig, may involve her either trying to get at Dillon's yaoi collection, or visiting Pixietrix Comics to buy her own.
Don't forget about the little issue she also has to solve about getting herself a job. Comic strip economics may apply here, but almost everyone in the Ma3-verse does work for their money. And if Ruby's gonna be buying yaoi, and probably a lot of it from the implications here, she's going to need a steady source of income. She has far too much pride to be borrowing money from anyone, especially for that.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

True, but a few comics, by way of an experiment, aren't the world's biggest expense - and she presumably has some funds in reserve for this whole job search, if only courtesy of mummy and daddy. She's definitely got enough to feed herself, and to buy some clothes if not designer jeans.
---------
Spidrift

thebitterfig

Post by thebitterfig »

Spidrift wrote:Note: Engaging in loud monologues in public places is never a good idea, even if you are a comedy character. Especially if you're a comedy character.
Monologing is an even worse idea if you're Pedro Pascal...
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Or Baron von Ruthless.
---------
Spidrift