Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

20-05-14 Not looking for a husband

Post by Shouri »

zaprzapb

Re: 20-05-14 Not looking for a husband

Post by zaprzapb »

Amber's dialog in the last panel sounds like foreshadowing. Why do I now think Amber is going to set her sights on Matt like Peggy is now?

brasca

Post by brasca »

zaprzapb wrote:Amber's dialog in the last panel sounds like foreshadowing. Why do I now think Amber is going to set her sights on Matt like Peggy is now?
If she's reluctant to go after Gary because of the fictional history Dillon wishes he had with him because she doesn't want to hurt his feeling then why would she go after Matt? There's history there and it's not good.

Now if Zii didn't tell Amber anything about Eric I could see her accidentally going home with him. She wouldn't intentionally do it because that would make Zii feel bad, but it would be just deserts for her friends with benefit to run off with her ex-boyfriend.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

That's a possibility too but Amber's "rock-hard body" comment and Dillon telling her "No creeps, choose wisely" tells me otherwise.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Yep, there are reasons Amaber and Dillion are roommates :D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Must... not... get... twitchy... Just because we haven't seen Ruby for two whole strips.

(It's ironic; Giz & co. apparently started this comic because they couldn't run Dillon-centered strips in Ma3 without people complaining that they should be focusing on Gary. But now they've created a character here who makes someone like me - no great Gary fan - wish that they'd take the spotlight off Dillon again, title character status be damned.)

Anyway, the thing that amuses me about this strip is that Amber's fantasy really has very little to do with the guy she's actually chasing. Gary has his virtues and charms, but his body is more "pleasingly slim" than "rock hard", and he's a talented technician rather than a passionate masculine romantic. And yeah, Erik is about the only male cast member who fits that romance-novel-cover image.

Or does Amber shut her eyes and imagine Mr Beefcake while screwing the likes of Gary?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, Matt meets the beefcake image as well.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I guess that he does from verbal descriptions. The visual depiction doesn't quite fit that, so far as I can see.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Spidrift wrote:Must... not... get... twitchy... Just because we haven't seen Ruby for two whole strips.

(It's ironic; Giz & co. apparently started this comic because they couldn't run Dillon-centered strips in Ma3 without people complaining that they should be focusing on Gary. But now they've created a character here who makes someone like me - no great Gary fan - wish that they'd take the spotlight off Dillon again, title character status be damned.)

Anyway, the thing that amuses me about this strip is that Amber's fantasy really has very little to do with the guy she's actually chasing. Gary has his virtues and charms, but his body is more "pleasingly slim" than "rock hard", and he's a talented technician rather than a passionate masculine romantic. And yeah, Erik is about the only male cast member who fits that romance-novel-cover image.

Or does Amber shut her eyes and imagine Mr Beefcake while screwing the likes of Gary?
I think we're going to see some growth in terms of Dillon's character, but since the series is, relatively speaking, still very new, it may be a while before we see it happen.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

If Dillon is also under the Curse of Comedy Protagonist like Gary, the most we'll see of his growth is beyond shoulderlength hair.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's not a curse, it's a blessing. Eternal youth, eternal springtime. Of course, like all good blessings, it's a little bit ambiguous.

Stray thought, inspired by nothing in particular; should we be looking for an encounter between Ruby and Chanelle? It might be interestingly beneficial for the former. Someone needs to convince her that she has an ordinary working libido; whether she acts on it, or consciously sacrifices the option, or works through a stack of AA batteries once a week, she can't just ignore it forever. But she's not going to listen to Amber on that subject, and even if she starts to trust Dillon, he inevitably talks like a bad romance novel back cover, so he'd be damn-all use there. But Chanelle is an outsider with a highly pragmatic view of the subject; she might just be the one to cause Ruby to be honest with herself.
---------
Spidrift

Xselcier

Post by Xselcier »

*deactivates Lurking Field*

Panel 4:

I VOLUNTEER!!! I volunteer as tribute!

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

That last panel, Amber's speech and Dillon's reaction... excellent.

I don't think Gary is that man Amber is thinking about but I'm sure there are plenty of men willing to try.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And yet Gary is the man she claims she's pursuing.

She knows that he's inexperienced and geeky (if cute and with a talented tongue), and yet she wheels out this fantasy while chasing him. She either thinks entirely in clichés, or is subconsciously setting herself up for a disappointment or a change of target.
---------
Spidrift