Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

02-05-14 Come clean with me

Post by Shouri »

Schmorgluck

Re: 02-05-14 Come clean with me

Post by Schmorgluck »

The general train wreck gets more and more convoluted.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

well, this is likely to be interesting.
Yet still, I live...

Spiketwo89

Post by Spiketwo89 »

I'll give this to ruby, when she commits to a role, she commits, I guess acting runs in the family....
also is that Matt in the restroom? Wonder how ruby will react to being hit on while male

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

*chuckles*

How twisted can this get?

Ruby and Matt.

And where's Kiley anyway?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Probably in the women's restroom.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

First and most important bit; Amber isn't wearing her favourite trenchcoat, as it turns out. That short jacket is a slightly weird and confusing coat-like cut, though, what with the double-breasted fastening and large lapels; Amber seems to like the look. I think she keeps trying to de-emphasise her bust these days. Subconscious rejection of her past career, I guess.

Anyway, Amber - stop being sensible and logical. You'll confuse Dillon, and the readers. And trying to work out why Dillon would go to a drug deal in drag will confuse you, even without Dillon talking at the same time.

And Ruby - you have to work out your feelings about your sister some time. If you really didn't give a damn about her, you wouldn't have been embarrassed, and if you really felt sisterly towards her, you wouldn't want to lie to her. This is what is called an unresolved situation, and you need to resolve it; this attack of logic notwithstanding, Amber is too scatterbrained to be any use.

(I'm now getting a distinct image of Ruby and Amber's interactions at home, ten years or so ago, actually. Ruby, the bratty-smart kid sister made Amber feel a bit stupid despite the age difference; Amber, the socially competent mid-teen big sis, retaliated by teasing Ruby at every opportunity. Then they spent ten years mostly apart, and never got a chance to move on to something more mature. They need to sort stuff out.)

Anyway, the crossover guest appearances mount up. It'll be interesting to see if this turns into a conversation; given his psychological shrewdness, Matt might see through Ruby's disguise, or at least find Rudy interesting to talk to.

And shouldn't Gary be in that toilet too? Unless he's in a cubicle, he and Matt should have noticed each other.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spiketwo89 wrote: also is that Matt in the restroom? Wonder how ruby will react to being hit on while male
Why would Matt hit on Rudy, an unattractive nerd ? He never hit on Gary, who is an attractive geek.

Good points to Amber here, she cares about her friend and immediately sees there's something off with Dillon and shady guy in sunglasses. Just not the right "wrong". ;))
But Dillon is such a bad liar that it's kinda easy, in fact. On the Mà3 scale of intelligence vs stupidity I'd put Amber a bit above average. She may be clueless some times, but she's not stupid. At the bottom, I'd put Andy, Didi and Sonya, at the top, Peggy, Angel, Ruby, and probably Matt. A bit under average, Zii, Dillon, Yuki and Sandra. With Amber, Kiley and probably Gary. But it's actually hard to try do determine Gary's intelligence. Though I'd like to put delusional characters like Senna, Dillon and Yuki in a completely separate category, given how it's hard to see through their bout of lunacy.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Bambikles wrote:
Spiketwo89 wrote: also is that Matt in the restroom? Wonder how ruby will react to being hit on while male
Why would Matt hit on Rudy, an unattractive nerd ? He never hit on Gary, who is an attractive geek.
And he does seem to be committed to making things work with Kiley. Matt might blow her cover seeing as how he's been with a lot of people of both sexes and probably knows when a woman is disguised as a man. He could care less, but knowing Ruby she'll probably overreact and panic in such a way that will ultimately make things worse.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:Why would Matt hit on Rudy, an unattractive nerd ? He never hit on Gary, who is an attractive geek.
Mmm. If Matt gets talking to Rudy, it'll probably be in a friendly-but-analytical way. I can't really see why he would, but like Brasca, I could see him saying "I won't tell anyone you're in the wrong restroom if you don't" in panel 1 of the next strip. ("How do I know? Honey, I know men, and I know women, and I know about dressing the part. Good try, but you're a beginner.") He's certainly in the Peggy/Kiley range for intelligence, with a special interest in people (remember how he handled Gary's problems, and how he read Kiley's issues in ten minutes flat), so he'd wonder what's up with Ruby out of sheer curiosity. I'd also love to see those two comparing notes on Dillon one day.
Bambikles wrote:Good points to Amber here, she cares about her friend and immediately sees there's something off with Dillon and shady guy in sunglasses. Just not the right "wrong". ;))
But Dillon is such a bad liar that it's kinda easy, in fact. On the Mà3 scale of intelligence vs stupidity I'd put Amber a bit above average. She may be clueless some times, but she's not stupid.
Amber's intelligence comes and goes, frankly mostly depending what the plot needs. If you want a logical justification, you can assume that she learned a certain tough-minded shrewdness as a survival mechanism in a rather sordid line of work, but she doesn't always use it. And she's basically completely lost around Ruby; she just can't understand the mindset of bright, repressed virgin at all, and she keeps trying to treat Ruby as a younger version of everybody else she knows, with some weird and pointless hang-ups.
Bambikles wrote:At the bottom, I'd put Andy, Didi and Sonya, at the top, Peggy, Angel, Ruby, and probably Matt. A bit under average, Zii, Dillon, Yuki and Sandra. With Amber, Kiley and probably Gary. But it's actually hard to try do determine Gary's intelligence. Though I'd like to put delusional characters like Senna, Dillon and Yuki in a completely separate category, given how it's hard to see through their bout of lunacy.
Angel's intelligence is still an unknown quantity. She certainly has her moments, but that seems largely to be down to her being able to take an objective outsider's view of some of the other characters. As with other characters here, her intelligence is badly scrambled by her obsessions - in her case, her stalker-ish feelings for Jerzy. And Gary just reminds me of the unemployed geek I heard of whose parents paid for him to have a bunch of aptitude tests - "Sorry about this; your son has a very high IQ, but we weren't able to find any aptitudes at all". Which is unfair to Gary, given that he seems to be a good artist, but otherwise, although he has a brain, he just doesn't use it for anything much.

Senna has actually had a fairly complete character rewrite since her first appearance, when she came across as vain, ditzy, whimsical, and surprisingly bright; the new version is so completely wrapped up in herself that her intelligence is pretty much irrelevant. Similarly, Yuki is so childish that it's impossible to assess her intelligence in adult terms. And DiDi and Sonya are, in slightly different ways, advertisements for single-sex education - especially Sonya, who sometimes gives me the impression that she has an adequate brain that she never, ever uses. I reckon that when those two blossomed around the age of 14, they both gave up trying to think because it was easier to bask in male attention. Sonya may slowly be getting over that, but DiDi may be beyond hope.

Oh yeah, by the way - is the strip's title a bad joke? Which leads to think of a worst case for everybody next strip; Amber bursts into the men's toilet in full mama bear mode, determined to Have Words with the scummy dealer who's leading poor Dillon astray.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Scumbag Zii

Post by Scumbag Zii »

I wonder what happened to kiley, did she go home or just run back to car?

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

"How do I know? Honey, I know men, and I know women, and I know about dressing the part. Good try, but you're a beginner.
......So...is that you, Kiley?"

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

OH NO!! Ruby went into the men's toilet. By the prevailing Angel-logic, that must mean she is male now!

Sob... Poor old Ruby. I'm gonna miss her.
The iceman cometh

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I got nothing. Who knows where they are going with this.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Iceman wrote:OH NO!! Ruby went into the men's toilet. By the prevailing Angel-logic, that must mean she is male now!

Sob... Poor old Ruby. I'm gonna miss her.
Gender Bender arc confirmed!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)