Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

04-04-14 Our friendship is strong

Post by Shouri »

Spidrift

Re: 04-04-14 Our friendship is strong

Post by Spidrift »

Points to Ruby. She's buried her appearance deep enough that her lack of acting skills shouldn't matter too much. And she's getting the hang of slapping Dillon down.

Also, while it's not hard evidence, I'm getting an ever-stronger sense that Angel is female and was Jerzy's one heterosexual experiment - an old friend he unwisely decided to try it with because a friend should understand that it was just an experiment.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Here comes the other trainwreck.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well, Hell's bells, Ruby came in locked and loaded, spoilin' for a fight. No beating around the bush for Ruby, as she displays her mean streak and gives Dilla the razor's edge of her sarcasm. What a ball breaker, that's a whole lotta Ruby. Meanwhile Angel doesn't seem particularly thunderstruck to be shot down in flames and kicked in the teeth. We got some high voltage action going here. :-=
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

MoonshadowDark

Post by MoonshadowDark »

Anyone else think they look like Jay and Silent Bob?

Udyr

Post by Udyr »

Oh my god, Ruby looks like Silent Bob from Clerks. :)) =)) =)) This is great!
eeeek!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The funny thing is, Dilla and Rube are likely to look more like plausible audience for this gig than most of the gorgeous people who inhabit Ma3 and SDB in their normal mode. A couple of faintly skate-punk-ish post-teens who dress how they want to dress and don't give a **** what you think about it.

I'm also wondering if there's some ironic complexities in the chosen strip title - not in the slightly messed-up but essentially stable friendship between Jerzy and Angel, but in the developing relationship between Dillon and Ruby. Dillon gets somebody who'll call him on his crap and play things her way if she gets the chance; Ruby gets someone essentially non-threatening who'll help her out of her shell. It's not an easy friendship, but it may be a better one for both of them than the usual mutually reinforcing narcissisms that pass for friendships in this setting.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Crystafent82

Post by Crystafent82 »

@Azrael: i c wot u did there.

Well, Ruby for sure is hard to recognize. Dillon ... not so much, no.
*gets a pack of Snips*
Please, carry on.
You can never be too old to have fun.

If you can't tell by now, English is not my first language.
Eisu wrote:The nipples makes a lot of difference, it's all technical.
You can quote me on that too.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, and I sort of owe Ruby an apology. I thought that she wouldn't be able to carry off a male disguise, because everyone was assuming she'd end up dressed as a cute, androgynous, slim male if she tried. We should have realised that this was a foolishly limited assumption, because she's not stupid. Most Ma3/SDB are incapable of not dressing for the sexy, one way or another; Ruby doesn't suffer from that crippling vanity.

Anyway, there's not much danger of Gary confusing himself by falling for this "guy", I think.

This does leave a couple of questions that we might or might see addressed. How will Rube handle things if some infatuated straight guy tries to elbow him aside so as to make a run at Dilla? And which toilet will he use, if the need arises?
---------
Spidrift

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:Oh, and I sort of owe Ruby an apology. I thought that she wouldn't be able to carry off a male disguise, because everyone was assuming she'd end up dressed as a cute, androgynous, slim male if she tried. We should have realised that this was a foolishly limited assumption, because she's not stupid. Most Ma3/SDB are incapable of not dressing for the sexy, one way or another; Ruby doesn't suffer from that crippling vanity.
Well, to be fair, Dillion was clearly leading readers down that path of assumption! (Hence "Dilla"'s belated pickiness. Although this is a case very much of pacing for the readers/gags - logically, "she" would have said sommat much earlier!)
Spidrift wrote:This does leave a couple of questions that we might or might see addressed...which toilet will [Ruby] use, if the need arises?
If we're assuming logic on "Rube's" part, the gents. Men's toilets have cubicles as well as urinals, after all, and if her disguise is even halfway good, "he" would cause problems on entering the ladies.

Plus, plenty of opportunity to embarrass Ruby and her man-love love!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Jay and Silent Bob!!! =)) =)) =)) That is SO brilliant!!!

Also: +1 Internetz to Az! :-bd
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zippy wrote:Well, to be fair, Dillion was clearly leading readers down that path of assumption! (Hence "Dilla"'s belated pickiness. Although this is a case very much of pacing for the readers/gags - logically, "she" would have said sommat much earlier!)
I imagine that Dilla has been grumbling quietly ever since Ruby grabbed a whole heap of stuff, disappeared to change in private, and came back as Rube saying "Come on, if we're going through with this stupidity, we have a bus to catch". This is just where the frustration of not having a cute Ken-doll to show off finally bursts out into something audible and specific - too late for Ruby to take it as an excuse to cancel the whole thing.
Zippy wrote:
Spidrift wrote:This does leave a couple of questions that we might or might see addressed...which toilet will [Ruby] use, if the need arises?
If we're assuming logic on "Rube's" part, the gents. Men's toilets have cubicles as well as urinals, after all, and if her disguise is even halfway good, "he" would cause problems on entering the ladies.
That is, of course, the logical answer. And, in truth, Ruby is too sensible to blow her cover by using the ladies. However, one has to factor in Ruby's extremely intense embarrassment problem. It'll take actual courage for her to use the toilet - while at the same time, her nervous curiosity about the mysteries of the male world will probably make her behave oddly when she gets there.

Bonus points if she ends up exchanging cryptic comments on the difficulty of handling other people's expectations with Gary over the washbasins.
---------
Spidrift

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Well, no, I think the "sudden pickiness" comes from overhearing Jerzy's accusation.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:Bonus points if she ends up exchanging cryptic comments on the difficulty of handling other people's expectations with Gary over the washbasins.
She's probably smartest keeping her mouth shut all night - not even necessarily for reasons of *what* she might say, but for her actual *voice* giving her away. I doubt very much she could do a convincing male-sounding voice (although, given that this is a text-based medium, the writers may ignore that!)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:Well, no, I think the "sudden pickiness" comes from overhearing Jerzy's accusation.
That's possible. If so, it's not made terribly clear that Dilla was successfully eavesdropping, though. (Also, Dilla's concern would be a bit irrational. But it's Dillon, so that's not an issue.)
Zippy wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Bonus points if she ends up exchanging cryptic comments on the difficulty of handling other people's expectations with Gary over the washbasins.
She's probably smartest keeping her mouth shut all night - not even necessarily for reasons of *what* she might say, but for her actual *voice* giving her away. I doubt very much she could do a convincing male-sounding voice (although, given that this is a text-based medium, the writers may ignore that!)
She certainly shouldn't say too much. But Ruby has a youthful complexion and a slight build, so Rube is going to look like a teenage boy trying far too hard to look street-smart and cool (too young for the club, even), and a high voice may just get a few "Is he old enough to be in this place? Sounds like his voice hasn't broken!" reactions.

Oh yeah, and if that chat with Gary does happen, odds are that Rube will come away thinking "Well, there's one sensible man here. He's quite nice, really." Because Gary.
---------
Spidrift