Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

25-03-14 I can wear any disguise

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 25-03-14 I can wear any disguise

Post by Spidrift »

Poor Ruby (as usual). She evidently rather likes the idea of a more interesting life, and Dillon telling her she can roleplay some kind of TV cop (preferably without a Tom Selleck 'tache) was catching her attention. (Nice facial expression in the last panel.) But now he's got to spoil it by telling her that she's got to pretend to be lesbian as well.

He'll bounce her into it, of course. And then, quite likely, she'll have to explain to Andy why she's been seen out on a date with another woman.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Interesting that Ruby should think of Columbo or Magnum. I would have pegged her as a Nancy Drew reader. I suppose they come to mind since she has a tendency to watch retro television.

I can see where this is going. Another character in disguise, but I think Dillon would have a better choice in wigs.

Taigan

Post by Taigan »

How hilarious would it be for everyone to be fooled by Dillon's disguise EXCEPT Sonja?

brasca

Post by brasca »

It would, but as far as I know Sonja has never met Dillon so I don't know how she could identify him.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Interesting that Ruby should think of Columbo or Magnum. I would have pegged her as a Nancy Drew reader. I suppose they come to mind since she has a tendency to watch retro television.
That seems to be part of her core characterisation. A lot of Saturday evenings spent watching TV reruns instead of going to parties.

Stereotyped comic-strip Nancy Drew readers (and I'm not really familiar with the books) seem to be perpetually eager to go out and start playing girl detective themselves. Ruby is more the sort to stay inside passively consuming escapist fantasies - she's only now just beginning to explore the idea of going out and living the fantasy in a small way. Though I would have thought she could have come up with a series about characters who actually used disguises themselves... And cute though she'd look in a Columbo trenchcoat, it's not really suited to this event.
brasca wrote:I can see where this is going. Another character in disguise, but I think Dillon would have a better choice in wigs.
Well, disguises, good or bad, are always good for comedy.

Of course, Ruby doesn't need one. Though I'll still be interested to see if she and Zii remember each other at all.
brasca wrote:It would, but as far as I know Sonja has never met Dillon so I don't know how she could identify him.
You know how it is; red-haired barbarian swordswomen from the post-Atlantean era just don't get to hang out with gay men in 21st century Montreal.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

See? History doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme. Instead of Dinah we get Dilla. Gary and "Dilla" are going to end up in bed together at the end of this arc I just know it. Bonus points if they have to hear Zii and Sonya and/or Yuki having sex in Zii's room.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

Good god I hope not. I'm just not into people cheating on partners. And this plan seems specifically to trick Gary, which I'm not cool with at all.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

MOTHER OF *bleep* ON A STICK! >_<

This situation is getting worse for Ruby by the panel. Curse you, Dillon, and the horse you rode in on!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The funny thing is, Ruby seems initially to quite like what she's hearing from Dillon. Playing at detectives looks like something that she can get her head round, and let her live out some harmless fantasies - the sort of thing that can ease her out of her shell. That expression in the top half of panel 4 is a nice balance of uncertainty and interest.

But then Dillon has to overdo it by playing up his own weirdness and forcing her to play-act a lesbian. (Which I'm sure will end up embarrassing her in front of Amber or Andie or someone, somehow.) So yes, she has grounds for complaint against him again.
---------
Spidrift

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Mmmm...Doesn't Dillon expect Ruby to dress as a guy, to make the disguise more complete ? :-\
I'd like to see Ruby going full on Bifauxnen. Twice as fun ! :ymdevil:

EDIT: Because Dillon and Ruby playing a lesbian couple sounds abysmally boring to me. (-|
Last edited by Bambikles on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

<reads last panel, slams head on desk> *grumbling* I don't think I'm going to like this. Call it a lack of sleep but I'm not following Dillon on his plan here.

Is Ruby going to dress like a man (god I hope not)?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Hey Dinah's back! Wait where did Dillon go?

I know I'm in the minority but I totally hope he asks Ruby to play the man. Just because I find male drag to be hella sexy. Like when Brooke was doing it? =p~ Ruby would make a totally sexy woman in drag!

But no I agree with everyone, this plan is hella stupid. Funny that Dillon is so sure of his acting abilities that his boyfriend and all of his friends won't recognize him, but dumb. At least no one really knows Peggy.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Well, hmmm, almost nobody reckoned he was a guy until Sandra pulled out his wig, the last time. :-??

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bambikles wrote:Mmmm...Doesn't Dillon expect Ruby to dress as a guy, to make the disguise more complete ?
I'd have thought that he's got just enough sense to know that she can't carry that off. It'd surely require more self-confidence than Ruby possesses yet. However, if he's got a trilby in his dressing-up box, I don't think that she'd be able to resist that. She's already on the way to trying a trenchcoat - but that won't work indoors.
FlashD81 wrote:Call it a lack of sleep but I'm not following Dillon on his plan here.
Guessing, but I assume that Dillon wants to spy on Jerzy, to make sure that he's not up to anything with Angel, and thinks that going in drag will make that easier. It might just work; Jerzy is smart and perceptive, but he's never seen Dillon in drag before, and he may be distracted by the show. On the other hand, he has seen Ruby, so unless Dillon can talk her into some kind of disguise, he has a problem there. It's not clear why he's taking her, really, unless it's simply to screen him from the hordes of admirers he'd naturally expect.

Also, of course, Dillon should guess that there'll be people there who have seen him in drag before. I'd expect Amber to recognise him right off the bat, and probably Matt too; Gary should, by rights, but comedy may demand that Gary mistakes him for Amber.
---------
Spidrift