21-03-21 He will have a date for the evening

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 21-03-21 He will have a date for the evening

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:Ruby is the only one who has showed any amount of annoyance at him lately, and even she cares about him.
Nitpicking quibble; Ruby hasn't shown any signs of affection for Dillon so far. She was properly grateful when he did her a favour, she's non-confrontational enough to go along with (too) many of his bright ideas, and she wants to define herself as a good person who helps other people. By the time she gets a bit more confidence, she may well have got in the habit of tolerating him the way her sister does. But hopefully by then, she'll also have honed her snarky edge a bit, and Dillon makes a good test dummy for that.
Odd Man Out wrote:Not that the last panel isn't amusing but I'm kinda surprised how one panel of Dillion gets so much more commentary than three of Zii and Amber unwinding.
It was the loudest panel. Anyhow, some of the "Dillon" discussion has actually been about Amber now feeling able to chase Gary when he's around, which comes out of panel 3.

And what else can one say about panels 1-3? I mean, apart from "hubba hubba", which is a valid response but always feels a little unsubtle.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Optimus Kate wrote:
crimzontearz wrote:I dream of Dillon being ganged on by the whole cast and told to cut the whining and the bitching and the hypocrisy and to just fuck off (kinda dream the same for Anita Blake too...)

I hate him so....
That's the saddest thing I've ever read.

P.S. The cast doesn't hate Dillon. Like -- at all. Many of the characters love him or care deeply for him or at least like him. So while YOU may hate the character (as you've said about a million times at this point), yeah, that fantasy isn't going to happen. Ruby is the only one who has showed any amount of annoyance at him lately, and even she cares about him.

Soooooooooo... Relax, sugar. It's not healthy to feel so strongly over something you willingly choose to read. Here, I'll share my Valium. ;;)
I do not find it sad at all really. Sure the cast does not hate him but solely in virtue of "comic book laws of slapstick interactions" or some such. I read SDB because I like Amber and to a degree Ruby and Angel but there is nothing wrong in desiring the little bitch gets his own in the end for being a hypocrite and a manipulating bastard.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Actually, it's tiresome to read almost every single one strip a swarm of people screaming their hate of Dillon. It's known, explained, understood. It's not needed to have it repeated again and again. (-|

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Bambikles wrote:Actually, it's tiresome to read almost every single one strip a swarm of people screaming their hate of Dillon. It's known, explained, understood. It's not needed to have it repeated again and again. (-|
repetita juvant

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

bis repetita non placent

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

The correct come back is "sed seccant" I'll accept that tho

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Spidrift wrote:Nitpicking quibble; Ruby hasn't shown any signs of affection for Dillon so far. She was properly grateful when he did her a favour, she's non-confrontational enough to go along with (too) many of his bright ideas, and she wants to define herself as a good person who helps other people. By the time she gets a bit more confidence, she may well have got in the habit of tolerating him the way her sister does. But hopefully by then, she'll also have honed her snarky edge a bit, and Dillon makes a good test dummy for that.
I didn't say she's affectionate towards him, I said she cares about him. You don't see that in #110 and #111? I mean, she's not affectionate with Amber either, but I doubt it means she doesn't care about her. (Also, Amber does not tolerate Dillon. One tolerates going to the dentist, not their best friend. lol)
crimzontearz wrote:I do not find it sad at all really. Sure the cast does not hate him but solely in virtue of "comic book laws of slapstick interactions" or some such. I read SDB because I like Amber and to a degree Ruby and Angel but there is nothing wrong in desiring the little bitch gets his own in the end for being a hypocrite and a manipulating bastard.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Protesting ≠ wishful thinking

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Admit it, you have a deep, passionate (although clandestine) love for Dillon. You cut out Jerzy's head in strips where they are together and paste your own in their place. You have a shrine of him in your closet made of bubblegum. But it burns you that you could never be together, so you take to the forums in a rage and shout DAMN YOU DILLON, I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! as tears of regret roll down your face...

*sigh* So romantic.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

......I will not dignify that with an answer

(tho Peggy is by far the girl I would go for)

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Hmmmmm... he doesn't deny it... :p

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

I do not deny that 1 + 1 = fish, I just ignore the fool who claims such

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:I didn't say she's affectionate towards him, I said she cares about him. You don't see that in #110 and #111?
She "cares about him" in the sense that a basically good person cares about everyone (who isn't a really bad person), sure. Plus, she's grateful for favours, and she's trying to get along with the person she had to live with. But I don't get the feeling that she cares about him much personally - because that would require at least a little bit of affection. And so far, she's seemed fairly immune to Dillon's puppy-dog appeal, except when he turns on the waterworks. It turns out that she's more of a cat person.
Optimus Kate wrote:I mean, she's not affectionate with Amber either, but I doubt it means she doesn't care about her.
Amber is family, which seems to override other concerns with Ruby. Which is not surprising; families usually get kind of messy and complicated - even the ones with fewer stupid secrets and less incompetent parenting than the Larose clan. Ruby has put herself through years of heartache, either to avoid dumping Amber in the pit of her own making or to avoid distressing her parents, but she's also made it clear that there's a lot she doesn't like about Amber's behaviour, and maybe about Amber herself. However, she also assumes the same level of automatic loyalty from Amber that she grants...

Huh. We choose our friends; God gives us our relations.
Optimus Kate wrote:(Also, Amber does not tolerate Dillon. One tolerates going to the dentist, not their best friend. lol)
One tolerates one's best friend when said best friend (momentarily) behaves like a jerk. My impression is that Amber has become very fond of Dillon, and she finds him endlessly amusing, but I doubt that she'd turn to him for advice on anything serious (except acting). She handles important stuff like scamming the apartment, talking him through his side of it. She presumably realises that he's prone to moments of idiocy (beef sticks indeed), but she can, well, yes, tolerate those for the sake of his virtues.

The worst fault Amber displays is failing to understand how different Ruby is to herself, despite being given plenty of evidence. It's a failure of imagination; she keeps slipping into the assumption that Ruby will behave like herself, and just calls her "uptight" when she doesn't. If she understood that better, she might try and act as more of a buffer between Ruby and Dillon - because Ruby doesn't have her view of Dillon.

(Well, second worst fault. Her worst fault is extreme cowardice regarding telling her parents about her career.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

crimzontearz wrote:I do not deny that 1 + 1 = fish, I just ignore the fool who claims such
Aww, now you've gone and hurt my heart. I'm taking back my Valium. =((

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

It's ok, I am making a 4000 calories calzone which will likely have the same effect