Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

07-03-14 Floodgates are opened

Post by Shouri »

Spidrift

Re: 07-03-14 Floodgates are opened

Post by Spidrift »

Y'know, logically, Ruby should be smart enough to know that somebody whose emotions are that shallow and affected may technically be a psychopath. Or, okay, a cartoon character. Whereas her cold façade really is very thin; if anything, she's too empathetic for her own good.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

=)) =)) =))
Problem is, with Dillon, he's such a drama queen that as a reader I didn't see through the fake tears immediately. But IRL, I would have reacted with incredulity towards his over the top reaction.
Ah, I think you're right, somehow. I dunno if Ruby's too empathetic, but she's clearly too naive or lacking in human interactions. Does she even have female friends ?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

On current evidence, she's short on friends, full stop. The only social connections she's mentioned are with family or teachers. Which would indeed imply that she's out of practise reading people.

I think it was you noted a while back that if Ruby does decide to allow herself a love life, she'd probably be hideously vulnerable to the most obvious pickup artist tactics. This scene would seem to confirm that. Though with any luck, Dillon will render her fundamentally cynical about displays of emotion.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rpr

Post by rpr »

Bambikles wrote:=)) =)) =))
Problem is, with Dillon, he's such a drama queen that as a reader I didn't see through the fake tears immediately. But IRL, I would have reacted with incredulity towards his over the top reaction.
Ah, I think you're right, somehow. I dunno if Ruby's too empathetic, but she's clearly too naive or lacking in human interactions. Does she even have female friends ?
Does Minew count? BTW, is Minew male, female or... something else? [in this comics you never know :-)]

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Y'know, logically, Ruby should be smart enough to know that somebody whose emotions are that shallow and affected may technically be a psychopath. Or, okay, a cartoon character. Whereas her cold façade really is very thin; if anything, she's too empathetic for her own good.
I think she's catching on. Last time he turned on the waterworks she indulged in him boy watching at the swimming pool. Since he admitted that he's practicing for a scene later I think she'll be harder to convince each time. And I'm not so sure she's that vulnerable to pick up artists. She seems to be rather clueless about certain things as observed with her conversation with Angel and mistaking the cock ring for a tiny bracelet. In some respects she's a lot like Andy who was oblivious to Dillon's advances so even if someone like Matt should try to put the moves on her she would probably walk away confused.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

rpr wrote:Does Minew count?
Sadly, Minew may be the nearest thing to anyone who does.
rpr wrote:BTW, is Minew male, female or... something else? [in this comics you never know :-)]
I'm guessing male. That way, everyone in the setting can have an eventual final pairing, including Lita. Although of course, Lita may take after her owner.
brasca wrote:I think she's catching on. Last time he turned on the waterworks she indulged in him boy watching at the swimming pool. Since he admitted that he's practicing for a scene later I think she'll be harder to convince each time. And I'm not so sure she's that vulnerable to pick up artists. She seems to be rather clueless about certain things as observed with her conversation with Angel and mistaking the cock ring for a tiny bracelet. In some respects she's a lot like Andy who was oblivious to Dillon's advances so even if someone like Matt should try to put the moves on her she would probably walk away confused.
You may well be right about her being on a learning curve, but being able to learn. It could be fun to watch that. The day that Dillon turns on those waterworks and she sneers and walks away, we'll know that she's all grown up.

And she's currently possibly immune to pick-up lines by virtue of ignorance (maybe), but the danger will be greater if she decides that she actually wants male interest. A half-competent player type could latch onto that and exploit it. She may need to make a fast jump from naive ignorance to healthy realism, about other people as well as about herself.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Bwahahahaha!!!

It's okay Dilly, let it out.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: You may well be right about her being on a learning curve, but being able to learn. It could be fun to watch that. The day that Dillon turns on those waterworks and she sneers and walks away, we'll know that she's all grown up.
And the one time she does that, will be the time when Dillon is really heartbroken about something (probably being dumped by Jerzy), and Ruby will find out about it later and feel like a heel.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, quite probably. But it'd also probably take a heart of stone not to laugh. You know, boy who cried wolf and all that.
---------
Spidrift

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Does anyone actually LIKE Dillon?

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Uh, I do. I love Dillon.

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

I think he's funny and likeable enough. But then again there are hardly any unlikeable characters as far as I'm concerned.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

o_o How much longer can it possibly be before Dillon drives someone completely over the edge and they haul off and slap him around the earhole?

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

i've never exactly disliked dillon, but i have often found him somewhat annoying. however, i find that his relationship with ruby seems to move him in a more likeable direction for me.

what i'm finding a bit interesting about this strip specifically is that dillon's over-emotionality was always a major part of what annoyed me in the past, yet now when it's directed at ruby i find it quite funny. value of a good straight-man i guess.
Yet still, I live...