28-02-14 It is very comfy

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Odd Man Out

Re: 28-02-14 It is very comfy

Post by Odd Man Out »

You know, for all Ruby's faults I like how she's moved beyond throwing these surprises out the window. She seems to be trying to manage her own hangups instead of expecting the other two to change, which is a sign she at least understands the problem she's dealing with.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Pretty much. Though she's probably still capable of compulsively defenestrating things she doesn't like; the barf reflex is strong. And she was always determined to bulldoze through her problems as best she could, doing what she had to; remember her thought bubbles the first night she shared a bed with Amber.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I say again, they're going to break Ruby. Break her in such a way where she'll turn into such a sexual minx that Amber and Dillon will be all :-o @-) . Either that or she'll end up running screaming back home, crying and begging for her parents to take her back in.

At the very least, Ruby's going to have to learn to be more tolerant of the morons she's living with, at least until she gets a job and can afford her own place. Which, for comedy's sake, may be a very long time.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bear in mind, with the rather extreme real/comics time discrepancy we get in this setting, "a very long time" in terms of strips may only be a week or two for the characters.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

"What doesn't break you only make you stronger" ... by this rate Ruby will be prepared to work retail without a flinch before the week's over...

Crystafent82

Post by Crystafent82 »

i am quite sure that every surface in this apartment has been tested.
But we better don't tell Ruby that, otherwise she'll never eat anything cooked in this kitchen.
You can never be too old to have fun.

If you can't tell by now, English is not my first language.
Eisu wrote:The nipples makes a lot of difference, it's all technical.
You can quote me on that too.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Hogan wrote:"What doesn't break you only make you stronger" ... by this rate Ruby will be prepared to work retail without a flinch before the week's over...
She'll be ready to work IT Support.

Actually, Ruby's combination of methodical but seething patience and grim determination would make her an interesting choice for the sharp end of customer relations. She really is only seriously snappish with Amber; she's terse but more tolerant with Dillon, and she looked like she was being downright charming with Andy when he wasn't saying anything too stupid. Give her a job where she knows she's being paid to be polite to people, and I suspect that she could be fairly effective.
Crystafent82 wrote:i am quite sure that every surface in this apartment has been tested.
Actually, Amber hasn't been getting much action at all recently - see the early strips in the comic. I assume that the bed was tested more in her previous place. And Dillon seems not to have been up to much either, going by Tuesday's strip. So his opinion of the bed and sofa may just come mostly from having sat on them.
---------
Spidrift

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

I actually like Ruby's face in panel #1 best. It's like she's trying not to listen to them talk about her.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Democha

Post by Democha »

Wow, some of you need to relax about Dillon. There are girls in this universe who are just as bad/ridiculous in many ways and aren't given half as much grief. If he were a female indulging in ridiculous lesbian antics without tact you'd probably love it. It's his character, give him a break. :P He's amusing, flirty, and a ham.

You're also taking this whole sex comedy thing really seriously, fff.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Fluffy wrote:I'm nowhere near a prude, but I can't help but feel just a little grossed out by both Amber and Dillon in this strip.

On Dillon's part - he seriously thought Ruby would want the cock ring back after Jerzy used it to plow him? Who shares their sex props? EW! Just nasty!

And Amber and Dillon both - nobody needs to be made aware that you spooged in the bed they're sleeping in (yes, the sheets are no doubt washed; but a mental image of people getting messy together (one of them being your sister) in the place you lay your head every night is just - BLAH! There are just some things that should really be kept to ones self in polite company (especially in the company of someone you know full well is uncomfortable when it comes to sex).
i'm gonna disagree with you, at least on the bed thing. if you're sleeping in someone else's bed it's usually a given that they've had sex there, & probably done other stuff as well. just like if you use their bathroom, you know their butt has been exactly where your butt is.

if you can't deal with that, then god help you if you ever stay in a hotel.
Yet still, I live...

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Democha wrote:Wow, some of you need to relax about Dillon. There are girls in this universe who are just as bad/ridiculous in many ways and aren't given half as much grief. If he were a female indulging in ridiculous lesbian antics without tact you'd probably love it. It's his character, give him a break. :P He's amusing, flirty, and a ham.

You're also taking this whole sex comedy thing really seriously, fff.
THAAAAAAANK YOU.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Don't declare there is a bed open too loudly Ruby or Peggy might be crashing there next.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Geeno wrote:I actually like Ruby's face in panel #1 best. It's like she's trying not to listen to them talk about her.
I had this down more as "stoically long-suffering". She can't help hearing what they're saying, she doesn't have to like it, but she's doing her best to live with it. Ruby at her best, in other words; if she could just develop a certain unexpected vein of pawky humour, she could start doing these two idiots a certain amount of useful damage.

But yes, it is a good expression - it's nice to see it being used as the link image on the other comics. Ruby doesn't have to smile to look good, but she needs to avoid the panel 2 duck faces and panel 4 cartoon yelling.
Democha wrote:Wow, some of you need to relax about Dillon. There are girls in this universe who are just as bad/ridiculous in many ways and aren't given half as much grief. If he were a female indulging in ridiculous lesbian antics without tact you'd probably love it. It's his character, give him a break. :P He's amusing, flirty, and a ham.
Personally, I don't give a damn if he shags his way through every gay, bi, and bi-curious guy in Canada. I'd question their taste, but hey, each to their own. And sure, his stupidity is just par for the course in the Ma3 universe. But the way he always insists on projecting his clichéd ideas onto everyone else is pretty much specific to him, even in setting - and even in a comedy character, it gets annoying.

Which wouldn't matter if the comedy turned round and bit him occasionally. A comedy ditz like Dillon should suffer the comedy consequences of his actions. (As opposed to the likely real-world consequences, which would involve even more yelling and actual pain.) The fact that he always gets away with his crap suggests that he isn't actually designed as a comedy character; he looks like an author's pet dropped in a comedy world to go round being cutely wonderful.

Of course, we've seen something like this before; there was a fair bit of fan rage at Zii, who was at least less blithely casual about her actions. That's calmed down a bit since one or two things did come back to bite her. I guess that the interesting test will be if Dillon ever starts suffering a few consequences too.

Personally, I'd love to see Ruby get her head together enough to start snarking at Dillon with a little force. He probably wouldn't notice, but it'd give Ruby something to do with her intelligence.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

That would be the very definition of "taking it too seriously"... Oofta.

The Zii fan hate is still pretty intense, btw. Maybe not as bad as it's been before, but every word out of her mouth causes someone to analyze the shit out of it and find it rage worthy somehow. Same with Dillon. I come to this forum and think, lord am I the only one laughing at this comic?

I mean, I know this is a pretty cliche suggestion, but why even read it? I initially liked Vampire Cheerleaders, but got to the point where it gave me rage strokes, so I avoid it like the plague now. What are people here for exactly? Ruby? I mean, Dillon's the lead. He's gonna get some screen time. If every time he appears causes someone to start with their "OMG WHAT A WORTHLESS PERSON UGH I HATE HIM" rant then I start to wonder about that person's sanity.

I'm not saying comics are not open to criticism, but I sometimes wonder if people are negative just to be negative.

someone

Post by someone »

Democha wrote:Wow, some of you need to relax about Dillon. There are girls in this universe who are just as bad/ridiculous in many ways and aren't given half as much grief. If he were a female indulging in ridiculous lesbian antics without tact you'd probably love it.
Are you talking about Zii? Because it seems you're talking about Zii.

Don't worry, she has her hate club as well.