25-05-14 My weekly ritual

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 25-05-14 My weekly ritual

Post by Spidrift »

'J' wrote:ruby is a much more assertive straight-man than gary. while he usually just annoyedly tolerates whatever dillon is doing, she is actually actually pushes back a bit. as such, the dillon/ruby relationship comes across as being much more one between equals than dillon/gary, & puts dillon in a better light.
I'm hoping that this does work like that. The only problem is that Ruby has shown a worrying tendency to fold in the face of Dillon's hysteria, which either makes her look like a weak character or suggests that the writers think that Dillon is too cute for anyone to deny him anything.

It's not exactly out of character for Ruby - basically, she's confrontational with Amber, conciliatory with everyone else - but it means that she isn't always Dillon's equal. I think that the comic will work better if she does sometimes get in his face, when she thinks that she has a good reason, and forces him to justify himself rather than just being a self-appointed magic gay.
'J' wrote:the only time i can think of when he actually did something unexpected was when he dropped the camp to give gary & amber a serious talking to. if we saw more situations like that, were he would actually get serious about certain things, that might be interesting & reveal some previously hidden layers.
Although that reaction was a little unexpected in detail, I'm afraid I don't think of it as Dillon being serious. It was Dillon playing at being serious - acting all wise and stern, but really just being Dillon, taking the camp to a higher level. Part of the gag with him is that he is a genuinely good actor, who can sometimes drag other people into his fantasy world, and that's what he did there. If he'd just dragged Gary and Amber away to talk serious about what they'd been doing, the act might have been completely convincing - but then he had to spank them like children. That made it just another act.

Oh, and I'm now wondering if Ruby will shortly turn to Jerzy for advice. From her point of view, he may be the one person in Montreal who's actually offered her marginally more help than grief.

Well, him and Angel. But Angel isn't around and evidently suffers from incomprehensible misconceptions.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Spidrift wrote:
'J' wrote:ruby is a much more assertive straight-man than gary. while he usually just annoyedly tolerates whatever dillon is doing, she is actually actually pushes back a bit. as such, the dillon/ruby relationship comes across as being much more one between equals than dillon/gary, & puts dillon in a better light.
I'm hoping that this does work like that. The only problem is that Ruby has shown a worrying tendency to fold in the face of Dillon's hysteria, which either makes her look like a weak character or suggests that the writers think that Dillon is too cute for anyone to deny him anything.

It's not exactly out of character for Ruby - basically, she's confrontational with Amber, conciliatory with everyone else - but it means that she isn't always Dillon's equal. I think that the comic will work better if she does sometimes get in his face, when she thinks that she has a good reason, and forces him to justify himself rather than just being a self-appointed magic gay.
fair enough, but then there are things like the double date, where he got all big brother protective of her, which went a long way with me personally toward making him more likable.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I've probably just let myself get too annoyed with Dillon, but to me, moments like that just look like him playing at being a Gay Best Friend. Again. Without considering whether the other person wants him to.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

well, to each their own i suppose.
Yet still, I live...