14-01-14 How to be suave

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Elasticpete

Re: 14-01-14 How to be suave

Post by Elasticpete »

'J' wrote:you know, i've really never understood that particular stereotype. why exactly are gay men presumed to have some sort of special insight into women? logically, shouldn't they know less about how to romance/seduce a lady, since they have no incentive to develop those skills?

do straight women ever ask lesbians how to pick up men?
This is why I think jerzy might be sarcastically agreeing with him there. Either way it's still pretty funny.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

rpr wrote:Being a bit dense? Remember http://www.stickydillybuns.com/strips-s ... ou_measure?
That's possible, I guess. He has to be very dense, though -- which in turn doesn't make him much of a match for Ruby, who's a nerd and thus prioritises intelligence. And if he's as appealing to women as has been alleged, you'd think that one typical female denizen of the Ma3 universe or another would have grabbed him by the shirt front and dragged him out on a few dates by now.

Actually, it occurs to me that he may be a bit of a serious amateur athlete. The lifeguard/instructor job would suit someone who is really serious about swimming or diving, after all, and that's one class of obsession that could crash his social life.

That or comedy, I suppose.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Mr. Bee wrote::| Even a black hole would look at Andy and say "God damn, he's dense."
=)) =)) =)) I think you nailed it Mr. Bee

Andy is so clueless it makes my head hurt. I hope the reason(s) he is like this gets explained at some point.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Which does leave the question of whether someone that dim is really Ruby's type. I mean, we mostly have to take the script's word for it that she's intelligent, but she has that university degree, and she sometimes seems to have Amber intellectually intimidated; does she actually want a boyfriend who's dumb as a rock?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Waker

Post by Waker »

I would assume that Andy's lack of dating experience has to do with his dense nature. He doesn't seem to pick up on other people's attempts to flirt with him "no matter how shameless." Since he doesn't reciprocate, these people then assume that he must not be interested.

Templar Woolf

Post by Templar Woolf »

Spidrift wrote:It's a hideous double stereotype, of both women and gay men. But all the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" stuff is built on the fact that, like most horrible clichés, it has a fragment of truth to it sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNYnBJ5FVnI
NSFW IN ANY WAY AT ALL!!!
Look for the rainbow.
Don't just stare at the rain.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Andy is so dense he has initiated gravitational collapse!! Soon, he will become opaque even to neutrinos! :-o
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)