10-01-2014 Poor misguided Angel

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

sukebe senpai

Re: 10-01-2014 Poor misguided Angel

Post by sukebe senpai »

The thing is that, right now, the comic is all about exploiting Ruby for gratuitous lulz. So, if the creative duo decides to keep putting Ruby through ordeals, I don't really see her getting involved with Matt or Erik anytime soon. Note that the Gare Bear is out of town, so it's unlikely she'll get under the sheets with him anytime soon. What does that leave us with? Let's see...

1. Amber - The chances for this are equal to the chances of finding gold-plated rocking horse poop
2. Chanelle - Not a bad idea, but we'd need some pretext and context
3. Dillon - Highly unlikely, but it's a fun thought
4. Erik - Unlikely, as the creative duo and we want more lulz to be milked out of Ruby
5. Peggy - Too preoccupied with her "get Sonya & Zii together" plan to be bothered with Ruby
6. Sandra - Too far away and too preoccupied with other stuff
7. Senna - Looks like she's too far away; but it'd be a lot of fun to have her seduce Ruby

Then, there's another totally insane choice, and that's none other than Eulice. But I usually ship her with Gary.
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Re: 10-01-2014 Poor misguided Angel

Post by Spidrift »

Error of Logic wrote:The scary thing is, within the setting, it's not impossible...
Not really, in this situation. The writers actually play reasonably fair, by traditional narrative rules. Stupid misunderstandings do happen, but the readers usually get to see them happen, and get at least a chance to understand what's going on. The writers don't just pull stuff out of the air to turn the plot around, without at least a hint of foreshadowing. And we've not had any hint that Erik considers himself still to be managing the band, or any suggestion that Zii could be suffering some kind of weird and stupid misunderstanding. Hence, I rate it as vanishingly unlikely.
sukebe senpai wrote:The thing is that, right now, the comic is all about exploiting Ruby for gratuitous lulz. So, if the creative duo decides to keep putting Ruby through ordeals, I don't really see her getting involved with Matt or Erik anytime soon.
Absolutely agreed. But people were insisting on generating wanky fantasies about her getting shagged by assorted current cast members, so I just pointed out the two least blazingly stupid possibilities.

As to what may eventually happen - yes, I suspect that she'll get laid eventually. It'll probably take many months of strips, but there's a certain narrative force to this stuff. She's on a character arc that's all about her getting over her current messed-up state, and accepting that she'd be happier getting sticky occasionally will be part of that. (We've already seen that she's got a perfectly functional libido, and that she's actually not too bad at interacting with people who she likes.) However, it'll surely take so long that the lucky other person will very likely be someone we haven't even seen yet, introduced and given some characterisation and a relationship with Ruby as part of that protracted arc.

I'd also note that she's pretty clearly rather solidly heterosexual, so far as I can see. The idea of her being lesbian isn't so much abhorrent as incomprehensible to her, and she keeps getting hot and bothered by the sight of attractive men. She's a very vanilla personality at heart, if not as prim and prudish as she thinks, so I'd bet the general odds with her; that lucky person is going to be male.

And the only serious candidate currently in play is Andy. Unfortunately, he's a naive and dim-witted loon who'd make a total hash of seducing her just now, but that doesn't matter much, because it'll be a while before she's ready, so he can always get a bit of character development himself in the time. But other things could also happen in that time; for example, Ruby could politely friend zone him, and then Amber could move in and work off some of her own frustrations with him - allowing for some confused anger and angst from Ruby when she realises that she had feelings for him after all.

Or whatever. There's still everything to play for right now.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.