Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Milnoc

Re: 07-01-14 Missed opportunity

Post by Milnoc »

I'm an idiot. I didn't notice the sign on the door in the last panel! #-o

Tusofsky

Post by Tusofsky »

Maybe he wants to avoid the smell of the person who just ran into the men's room :P And getting him to go the other way, makes him miss seeing Jerzy. At least. . For now. Though I do like the idea of Angel being in some kind of drag too.

Glad Erik is still working! Didn't expect to see him again

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

So, having had his heart broken by Zii, Erik found a replacement in evil-Zii. . .
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I didn't expect it to feel so... painful to see Erik managing Angel. o_o;

brasca

Post by brasca »

I thought the mystery guest would be Kiley, but Erik is blond so I was close.

I'm not sure why Angel would be going into the women's room. He could be a transgender like Senna or maybe he's androgynous enough he can walk into the women's room without anyone noticing. It could just be that he didn't want to be in the same restroom where a man is having bowel troubles and he can get away with it. Nothing complicated.

I doubt Angel is really a woman all this time since that seems like something that would have been mentioned, but then again this is a farce.

I also doubt that he just accidentally walked into the wrong restroom since he could not be that big of a bumbler. And even if he was we have Andy for that right now.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I don't know if we've ever actually noted Angel's sex. I mean, Joan Jett could pull off being a guy without a problem. Also, Angel has become kind of androgynous as a name lately.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:I'm not sure why Angel would be going into the women's room. He could be a transgender like Senna or maybe he's androgynous enough he can walk into the women's room without anyone noticing. It could just be that he didn't want to be in the same restroom where a man is having bowel troubles and he can get away with it. Nothing complicated.
But having it happen clearly - on screen - implies that it's something significant. Putting it there like that, with no explanation, would be weird storytelling unless it meant something or set up some plot point.
brasca wrote:I doubt Angel is really a woman all this time since that seems like something that would have been mentioned, but then again this is a farce.
Actually, although Dillon refers to Angel as "he" and Jacob addresses him as "Mister", neither Angel nor Jerzy have said anything definite on the subject. Jerzy never seems to use a third-person pronoun for Angel that I can find, in a way that could well be deliberate and clever writing. Meanwhile, Jerzy has admitted to a bisexual past, without any further details, saying it was a stage on his way to settling that he's entirely gay.

This makes me think that it's very likely that Angel is a drag king or similar. I guess that if a younger Jerzy was a little uncomfortable with the idea of being gay, a heterosexual relationship with a masculine woman might have served as some kind of cop-out for him. Of course, when Jerzy then came out as gay, Angel could have been hurt and annoyed - or could have determined to make Jerzy change his mind back...
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

The reveal is surprising but not all that shocking. Angle's sex being thrown in question is more interesting now (to me at least). I looked back at some of his/her previous strips to give them a more carful study.

However I did this late last night so any conclusions could be faulty. For better or worse, it looks like Angle is going to be a force to reckoned with in this comic, and is becoming a more interesting character.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Spidrift wrote:This makes me think that it's very likely that Angel is a drag king or similar.
A drag king! That's the first time I've ever heard that expression! :)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I have a cousin who use to be a drag king. Basically, they're women who dress up like men in order to perform just like a drag queen is a man who dresses up as a woman and performs. Well, that's the simple explanation. There are a number of trans women who perform as drag queens. There's a certain outlandishness to the style.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Spidrift wrote:How come none of us guessed the panel 1 reveal? It makes perfect sense in retrospect, and sets up some nice plots - the setting can now have two rival named bands, with lots of soap opera thrown in to flavour the rivalry.
I had suspected it, but eventually rejected it as an unlikely plot twist. At any rate, I think I'll need more popcorn.
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

To be honest, I suspect that most of us fixated on the idea that whoever was with Angel was on a date. In fact, this looks more like a business dinner or friendly pre-rehearsal chat. So a lot of thinking triggered by that last strip now has to be reversed out.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Fluffy wrote:Good to see that Erik has himself a new band to manage.
Yeah, it's good to know he landed on his feet. I do find it interesting that he still wants to manage a band after what happened with Zii's band.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I seem to recall he's independently wealthy and was looking for something meaningful to do.
Good for him that he didn't get turned off on his goal despite being burned by Suzi's leaping at the opportunity to pursue her object d'eros.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Error of Logic wrote:I seem to recall he's independently wealthy and was looking for something meaningful to do.
Good for him that he didn't get turned off on his goal despite being burned by Suzi's leaping at the opportunity to pursue her object d'eros.
It also seems like it didn't affect him too much overall.